1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

logsdail or raphael?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AvariceBespoke, Jan 10, 2007.

1. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I'm being serious. I don't think you should try bespoke because, frankly, you're just going to annoy the tailor. I'm not saying this to be mean, but because you have high, yet vague, expectations; both of you are likely to get frustrated. Either he'll wind up wasting his time, or you'll wind up with a suit you're not happy with.

I ask about Brioni RTW because the quality is at least as good as Tom Ford/Zegna and the shoulders are straight and not soft.

I agree with this. The Brioni look seems the most similar to the look he desires, and I don't think bespoke is the way to go at this point.

2. AvariceBespoke

AvariceBespoke Senior member

I'm being serious. I don't think you should try bespoke because, frankly, you're just going to annoy the tailor. I'm not saying this to be mean, but because you have high, yet vague, expectations; both of you are likely to get frustrated. Either he'll wind up wasting his time, or you'll wind up with a suit you're not happy with.

I ask about Brioni RTW because the quality is at least as good as Tom Ford/Zegna and the shoulders are straight and not soft.

I won't annoy the tailor. Trust me I'm not as annoying in person as you percieve me to be based on reading my posts.

My expectations are not vague - they are general. For example,

I will say I would like the following:
    1) Structured shoulder
    2) Supressed waist as much as possible but only if it is flattering (lean overall suit)
    3) double vent
    4) very clean overall suit
    5) slightly wider than normal, notched lapels
    6) high armholes
    7) flat front slim trouers with side-tabs
    8) a nice year-round wool that is soft/luxurious but not overly fragile

This is pretty specific yet can serve as a guideline. I would like to goto a talented tailor and say - OK this is the 8 things I'm looking for, use this as a framework. Then he can construct the suit within these guidelines and fit properly to my body and perhaps make some suggestions based on his experience fitting/ etc.

What more do I need to "know" before going to a bespoke tailor? I think its pretty ridiculous to say I need to be a crazy expert like Michael Anton to buy a bespoke suit.

3. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

If you do decide to ignore the above, you'd probably have the best luck with Logsdale ( straight shoulders, roped sleeves etc.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I won't annoy the tailor. Trust me I'm not as annoying in person as you percieve me to be based on reading my posts.

1) Structured shoulder
    2) Supressed waist as much as possible but only if it is flattering (lean overall suit)
    3) double vent
    6) high armholes

This is pretty specific yet can serve as a guideline. I would like to goto a talented tailor and say - OK this is the 8 things I'm looking for, use this as a framework. Then he can construct the suit within these guidelines and fit properly to my body and perhaps make some suggestions based on his experience fitting/ etc.

What more do I need to "know" before going to a bespoke tailor? I think its pretty ridiculous to say I need to be a crazy expert like Michael Anton to buy a bespoke suit.

From what I have heard, Tom Ford makes a suit just like that. You may want to give him a ring.

5. AvariceBespoke

If you do decide to ignore the above, you'd probably have the best luck with Logsdale ( straight shoulders, roped sleeves etc.

Based on my current information set that I am working with - I agree

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Trust me I'm not as annoying in person as you percieve me to be based on reading my posts.

Ditto.

- B

7. AvariceBespoke

From what I have heard, Tom Ford makes a suit just like that. You may want to give him a ring.

[​IMG]

It gets old.

8. adambparker

adambparker Senior member

[​IMG] It gets old.
    False. It is tremendously fun and entertaining. How do you think the other thread got to 600+ posts?

9. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

1) Structured shoulder
    3) double vent
    6) high armholes

That's pretty much what Chris makes for me. ( I don't get notches tho.) Clean chest, slight waist supression, flared skirt.

10. AvariceBespoke

That's pretty much what Chris makes for me. ( I don't get notches tho.) Clean chest, slight waist supression, flared skirt.

Chris is in the Chicago area though, right?

11. AvariceBespoke

False. It is tremendously fun and entertaining.

How do you think the other thread got to 600+ posts?

OK so keep it to the other thread.

12. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Chris is in the Chicago area though, right?

yes. but he does go to NYC.

13. adambparker

adambparker Senior member

OK so keep it to the other thread.
    Come on now. You expect to resurrect a year-old thread that was absurd in the first place after the monstrosities you've created these last couple weeks and get serious answers? No, this is much more fun. EDIT: Yachtie, you are a kind and generous soul.

14. AvariceBespoke

yes. but he does go to NYC.

would you be willing to PM any photos?

15. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

1) Structured shoulder
    3) double vent
    6) high armholes

Believe it or not, this list is not really that specific. Other than your preference for structured shoulders and a 'clean' suit (I assume you mean no drape), nothing points in the direction of one tailor over another. With regard to waist supression, there will be a point at which your tailor will tell you it is simply incorrect to supress more; the same goes for the height of your armholes. If he's a good tailor, no matter his method or style, he will give you as much shape as possible.

Double vents, flat front pants, 'year-round' fabric--none are distinctive requests.

16. AvariceBespoke

Come on now. You expect to resurrect a year-old thread that was absurd in the first place after the monstrosities you've created these last couple weeks and get serious answers?

No, this is much more fun.

EDIT: Yachtie, you are a kind and generous soul.

OK, whatever. Have your fun.

17. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

You've nailed it.

I too thought Manton is an expert at many things.

But I hadn't realized that he's crazy.

As for a bespoke tailor, look up Darren Beamann with the search function.

Were you to commission a bespoke suit with Beamann, the thread possibilities would be endless.

18. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

No need to PM, I'm not ashamed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No drape, no problems.

19. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

You've nailed it.

I too thought Manton is an expert at many things.

But I hadn't realized that he's crazy.

As for a bespoke tailor, look up Darren Beamann with the search function.

Were you to commission a bespoke suit with Beamann, the thread possibilities would be endless.

Manton is batsh!t insane. I confirm it.

AtrociousOfftherack should go to Darren Beaman.

20. AvariceBespoke

Believe it or not, this list is not really that specific. Other than your preference for structured shoulders and a 'clean' (I assume you mean no drape), nothing points in the direction of one tailor over another. With regard to waist supression, there will be a point at which your tailor will tell you it is simply incorrect to supress more; the same goes for the height of your armholes. If he's a good tailor, no matter his method or style, he will give you as much shape as possible.

Double vents, flat front pants, 'year-round' fabric--none are distinctive requests.

What more of a direction do I need to provide? Can you be specific on what you have told your tailors you would like?

I agree about there being a limit to waist supression & high armholes - I will rely on a good tailor knowing the limits to both of those.

Obviously, "year-round" fabric is not distinctive but what am I to say now w/o looking at cloth? I will obviously need to look at selection.