Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Logistics

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Sir Humphrey Appleby, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Does anybody know of any good books/magazines for getting a basic understanding? Currently working in a warehouse but want to move to distribution (i.e. a firm like UPS or FedEx) in a few months once I have a bit more experience and knowledge.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I can't think of any direct paths to Logistics Knowledge via book, but I will recommend The Goal by Eli Goldratt. The book centers around Theory of Constraints relative to production, but I believe you can also apply TOC to logistics. We read it in our graduate Operations Management class. Well, I did.

3. nootje

nootje Senior member

UPS and FedEx are express delivery companies, and whilst part of logistics as a whole they are but a subset. For distribution you should look towards smaller firms who are at the end of the supply chain as you would be able to do more there. Try and find a branch organisation for logistics in your country/state, and see what you can find out.

Personally, I'd take a look at the intermodal companies, or freight forwarders as you'll get to see a lot of different industries.

4. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Thanks, that sounds interesting and actually quite relevant to my current job (although I'm looking at moving job and company by the end of the year), I'll have a look at that. Surely there must be some books for people learning about SCM at university or industry publications?

When I say "distribution" I mean transporting shit, I don't know what technical/business definitions there are, I've only been doing my job/giving a fuck about logistics etc for a month and a half.

5. newinny

newinny Senior member