1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lodger Shoes - London

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by meister, Apr 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. pledge

pledge Senior member

Winot says he ordered a pair over in the Summer Shoes thread.

Yes, the "Shoe of the Month", I believe. I'd be interested to hear what he thinks of them.

2. pledge

pledge Senior member

Too much toe spring for my likings.......

Agreed. Almost looks like a moc toe to me. But check out the "English" Wholecut here (sorry, don't know how to post pictures):

http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/shoes/...cut-black.html

The design, toe shape, sole treatment all look very good. Only question is the leather quality.

3. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Be careful ordering Lodger shoes as far as sizes go. I am usually a UK 9 but their English Classic shoes are such wide designs that I fitted a UK 8. I also found some small but identifiable differences in size between two shoes in different colours of the same design.

4. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Absolutely love this shoe but it is above my pay grade

5. meister

meister Senior member

Wow...I love the white buck shoe! [​IMG] As the article says it's very now.

I brought a pair of Lodger wing broges on my vist to the uk last November. They are a very good fit and still look great. They came with shoe trees that are made to the same shape as the last!

What's your opinion of the white shoe? Is it cool or is it just me??

http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/som/vi...nnis-0409.html

It is cool. It is a straight rip from the 1930s and a contemporary knock off (nearly - different length toe box) of the AR Windhall.

[​IMG]

Which is better?

This?

[​IMG]

or this?

6. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

No. Standard stock shoes.

7. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

I like all three of the ones you selected- at one time or another I've obsessed about all three.

I'd always interpreted Lodger as a made to measure venture that sells a lot of ready to wear. The ideal plan would be to get one's foot measured by them, and then order shoes from them as they caught the eye. Their shoe of the month has a lot of misses, to my eye, but every once in a while something really nice. I've held back from getting Lodger, even in the face of the really good USD/GBP ratio a year ago just because I couldn't get to London to visit the store and to get the initial measurements taken.

8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Senior member

Lodger is new to me. The shoes look pretty average. Best stick with a maker you know well. The 'October Shoe of the Month' looks like something a pimp would wear.

9. the_sartorialist

the_sartorialist Senior member

Reviving an old thread here and wondered if anyone had since taken the plunge further with Lodger?

I've got my eye on the wholecut in oxblood, and wondered whether it would be possible to get something identical (or similar) at a more affordable price?

http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/shoes/...so-diablo.html

10. fox81

fox81 Senior member

Reviving an old thread here and wondered if anyone had since taken the plunge further with Lodger?

I've got my eye on the wholecut in oxblood, and wondered whether it would be possible to get something identical (or similar) at a more affordable price?

http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/shoes/...so-diablo.html

that shoe looks nice, but i still think they're way overpriced for what theyre offering. i believe their shoes are made by alfred sargent (i cant confirm this) so im not sure how they justify the 550 gbp.
    there are some posts on here about alfred sargent's new high-end line, but that looks a step above the lodger offerings.

550 buys you some edward greens

11. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Not all their models are £550.

Week by week I am more tempted to get down to Clifford Street and get a pair of their brogues. Watch this space...

12. the_sartorialist

the_sartorialist Senior member

Problem is that I have fairly exacting requirements of what I'm after - any EGs in an oxblood wholecut available?

13. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Senior member

14. Groover

Groover Senior member

Not keen on the brogue. Looks like they've fiddled with the Grenson Albert design - even the colour is bang on. The last is also very similiar. The Albert is a much better looking shoe.

http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/shoes/...ue-almond.html

http://www.edwardsofmanchester.co.uk...lbert-g-2.html

They're not quite the same. I've seen the Lodger brogues at the Sargents factory and the leather is much nicer than the Grensons in Tan. Here is a picture of Albert in Tan, the leather is extremely hard, to the point of being inflexible and uncomfortable, thankfully I don't own these any more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Senior member

Actually, here's a few observation:

Lodger shoe

Black trim - don't really see the point.

Laces - too light, black would be better.

Broguing - too deep (looks like a frilly curtain).

Sole - country last, better suited to double-leather.

Heel counter - looks clumsy; the Grenson is elegant.

Profile - banana shape; proportions not great.

Not my cup of tea - others may love it though!

16. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Senior member

They're not quite the same. I've seen the Lodger brogues at the Sargents factory and the leather is much nicer than the Grensons in Tan. Here is a picture of Albert in Tan, the leather is extremely hard, to the point of being inflexible and uncomfortable, thankfully I don't own these any more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, didn't see your post. Fab Grenson's though - lovely patina. Tan comes up really well. I suppose it's a colour that works well with dirt and grime. Pity they don't suit - lovely shoes.

17. Groover

Groover Senior member

Sorry, didn't see your post. Fab Grenson's though - lovely patina. Tan comes up really well. I suppose it's a colour that works well with dirt and grime. Pity they don't suit - lovely shoes.

Well I guess some love them some don't. Unfortunately they're very uncomfortable, the insole was rock solid, the sole inflexible even though the double sole "hinge" had formed. The leather, I can't say for definite but I have a suspicion of it being corrected grain, polish (cream, saphir, kiwi et all) would not absorb into it at all well, conditioner also struggled. In fact it was only when they got soaked did the leather get wet through via the stitch lines.

A pity I feel because a full grain calf would have burnished very well.

Since I got shot of these I've seen the Cognac & Black versions and the leather on those is much nicer.

18. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Senior member

Well I guess some love them some don't. Unfortunately they're very uncomfortable, the insole was rock solid, the sole inflexible even though the double sole "hinge" had formed. The leather, I can't say for definite but I have a suspicion of it being corrected grain, polish (cream, saphir, kiwi et all) would not absorb into it at all well, conditioner also struggled. In fact it was only when they got soaked did the leather get wet through via the stitch lines.

A pity I feel because a full grain calf would have burnished very well.

Since I got shot of these I've seen the Cognac & Black versions and the leather on those is much nicer.

Hopefully Grenson aren't using CG on their Rose stuff! I've got a pair on order. The other new pair a cobbler ruined through poor work. His knife slipped. So, a 3 month wait from Pediwear. This is actually pair number three - the second pair were faulty and had to be sent back!

I would give Chelsea Leather Food a go if you have any tough boots. My zugs soaked it up and became really supple after use. You used to be able to buy it from The Natural Shoe Store.

19. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I have been into their Clifford Street shop a few times since getting my first pair in the online Twitter auction they ran for a time last year. Despite having a natural shoe buying inclination the shoes are either too clunky or too Italian for me and they are not cheap. Their plain Derby or Suede Slip Ons are the only ones of their standard range that appeal to me but not at their standard price.

I live in hope that one day one of their shoes of the month will be attractive enough for me to get my wallet out.

20. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Hopefully Grenson aren't using CG on their Rose stuff!

They do not, and the Alberts posted above are certainly not corrected grain. I have a pair of Radleys, also in tan, and although the leather is stiffer that most of my other shoes I would not say this means it is lower quality.