• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lodger: new London shop - made-to-measure

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,504
Reaction score
3,498
I don't know anything about Lodger, but it's a shame that Moncole is such a pretty magazine so obnoxiously wrong about everything.
 

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 23, 2002
Messages
4,539
Reaction score
989
I did pay a visit and a good nose-around to the newly opened "˜Lodger' shoe shop at 15c Clifford Street, London W1.
(Clifford Street connects Bond Street with Savile Row.)

The shop was due to open today and they did. Admittedly the electricians and shop fitters had to do their last bits and packages got delivered, but the shop looked nice, the merchandise was on display and I had a good chat with Nathan Brown the proprietor and Annejkh the shoe designer (Cordwainer's College and Royal College of Art in London).

Now those two are shoe-nuts, who are passionate about shoes in general and their range in particular. Most shoe shops just sell what manufacturers offer in their wholesale range. Not 'Lodger', all the lasts and the shoe designs are their own; the English range gets produced in Northamptonshire and the Italian rage near Naples. The designs are basically classic, but there is always a contemporary touch about them as well. It is not "˜fashionable' with the extra-long and snouty last a number of today's designers subscribe to. The "˜twists' are less obvious then the skulls and crossbones of "˜Barker Black', or the flashiness of Tom Ford's current range. Price wise, at GBP 550.00, they are where I expected them to be: similar to EG or G&G or JLP (classic range). But they include a fully lasted shoe tree within the price. Those shoe trees are nice, they come from the same source, where most London bespoke shoemakers get their trees from.

I believe at present the English shoes come on a round and an extra-round last for the country-type shoes, the Italian range is built over a chisel-toe last. (Again, compared with a number of current Italian shoes, that last is quite subdued.)

The website is due to go on line at midnight tonight and there is also a blog, giving useful information not only about the shop and it's range, but also about shoemaking in general.

http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/

http://www.gentlemanscorner.com/

I wish them all the best and I hope the shop will succeed. London needs shoe shops where the staff is passionate and knowledgeable about shoes.

(Double posting with AskAndy
 

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
15,081
Reaction score
2,357
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I did pay a visit and a good nose-around to the newly opened "˜Lodger' shoe shop at 15c Clifford Street, London W1.
(Clifford Street connects Bond Street with Savile Row.)

The shop was due to open today and they did. Admittedly the electricians and shop fitters had to do their last bits and packages got delivered, but the shop looked nice, the merchandise was on display and I had a good chat with Nathan Brown the proprietor and Annejkh the shoe designer (Cordwainer's College and Royal College of Art in London).

Now those two are shoe-nuts, who are passionate about shoes in general and their range in particular. Most shoe shops just sell what manufacturers offer in their wholesale range. Not 'Lodger', all the lasts and the shoe designs are their own; the English range gets produced in Northamptonshire and the Italian rage near Naples. The designs are basically classic, but there is always a contemporary touch about them as well. It is not "˜fashionable' with the extra-long and snouty last a number of today's designers subscribe to. The "˜twists' are less obvious then the skulls and crossbones of "˜Barker Black', or the flashiness of Tom Ford's current range. Price wise, at GBP 550.00, they are where I expected them to be: similar to EG or G&G or JLP (classic range). But they include a fully lasted shoe tree within the price. Those shoe trees are nice, they come from the same source, where most London bespoke shoemakers get their trees from.

I believe at present the English shoes come on a round and an extra-round last for the country-type shoes, the Italian range is built over a chisel-toe last. (Again, compared with a number of current Italian shoes, that last is quite subdued.)

The website is due to go on line at midnight tonight and there is also a blog, giving useful information not only about the shop and it's range, but also about shoemaking in general.

http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/

http://www.gentlemanscorner.com/

I wish them all the best and I hope the shop will succeed. London needs shoe shops where the staff is passionate and knowledgeable about shoes.

(Double posting with AskAndy


What did you think of the "build" quality?
 

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
4

flatfront

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Went into Lodger today for the first time and had a good look around and a chat with Nathan. The shoes look nice, some designs work better to my eye than others. They were very helpful and also very happy to answer questions. The English shoes are made for them by Sargent and there was no attempt to claim otherwise. The finishing looked of a very high standard indeed and the waists and soles on the high end shoes looked very good indeed.
As for the Italian range all are Blake stitched and hand finished, some lovely patinas. The lasted trees are a nice touch as is the offer to make a shoe from the RTW collection in other width fittings at no extra cost if so required.
I like the shoe of the month idea too, even if it is a little gimmicky it does mean that there are always new designs popping up in addition to the RTW line.
 

skeen

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
I love these guys shoes, from their website anyway. I'd definitely like to own a pair when I get some extra cash.
 

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
653
Originally Posted by mafoofan
it's a shame that Moncole is such a pretty magazine so obnoxiously wrong about everything.

Are they obnoxiously wrong about everything or are their recommendations just not in line with your tastes?
 

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
44
The italian contemporary looks very nice, but at 550 pound a pair, Santoni FAM's are a more attractive option
 

laphroaig

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2007
Messages
736
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Are they obnoxiously wrong about everything or are their recommendations just not in line with your tastes?
I agree with mafoofan somewhat. I wouldn't go so far as saying they are wrong about everything but most of their articles are very shallow and some are down right amateurish.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,504
Reaction score
3,498
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Are they obnoxiously wrong about everything or are their recommendations just not in line with your tastes?

Originally Posted by laphroaig
I agree with mafoofan somewhat. I wouldn't go so far as saying they are wrong about everything but most of their articles are very shallow and some are down right amateurish.

It has nothing to do with their recommendations in clothing; it's their political and social opinions that are downright ridiculous. They'd have you believe the U.S. is a fascist third world country.
 

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
1,500
Reaction score
3
Why can't more companies, like Vass or Lobb (hint hint), have pleasant and useful websites like that?

E-commerce
 

gusvs

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2007
Messages
579
Reaction score
292
Originally Posted by greekonomist
Why can't more companies, like Vass or Lobb (hint hint), have pleasant and useful websites like that?

E-commerce


+1

What is it with clothing/shoe companies and their poor (or non-existing) websites? Lodger's website is an excellent example of how a simple but informative website can look like.
 

scruff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
Messages
1,125
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It has nothing to do with their recommendations in clothing; it's their political and social opinions that are downright ridiculous. They'd have you believe the U.S. is a fascist third world country.

It's edited by a Canadian.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,010
Messages
9,190,047
Members
193,025
Latest member
sceviyxf

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top