• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Loden" in French

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find the name, in English, for the kind of coats that seem to have an Austrian/German influence, dark green, wool, generally hits the knee, isn't fitted, no vents, pleat in the back, small collar up high, no lapels, brown buttons either covered with leather or made of chestnut brown wood. Any idea? And where does one find such a coat anymore?

lionel

Reaction score
fabienne, don't know for the translation, as my skills in english are not that good (I speak french like you). you can try Eduard Meier in München (www.edmeier.com). I am more than certain they have what you are looking for. Don't hesitate to call them, they are very nice people.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fabienne, don't know for the translation, as my skills in english are not that good (I speak french like you). you can try Eduard Meier in München (www.edmeier.com). I am more than certain they have what you are looking for. Don't hesitate to call them, they are very nice people.
Thank you. I checked out their website (cool "handmade" men's shoes, btw, and I love the shoe care products bottles that look like medicine), and then called them. You were right, they are very pleasant. A lady explained they have them both for men and women (around 700 euros). In German, they're called Lodenmantel, and originate from Salzburg. I might go after my trip to Maastricht. It's kind of on the way to Burgundy. And I have been repeatedly invited to Munich, so... So it looks like it would only be found in Trachten type stores, unfortunately. I was hoping to get my husband to try one on without having to go to Europe.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I've only seen these sorts of coats described as "Loden" coats, even in the US.  In Austria, I think these would be classified as "Trachten", or traditional country wear.  Probably available in Vienna at Knize on Graben 13, or most definitely at  Loden-Plankl on Michaelerplatz.  Check out their website at Loden-Plankl

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Austria, I think these would be classified as "Trachten", or traditional country wear.  
True. The funny thing is, when I was growing up in France, people wore these coats, men and women. I had one as a kid. It wasn't seen as especially "traditional Austrian", I don't think, it simply became one of the common options for coats, but it is obviously harder to find there too, these days, as I asked my mom to see if she could find one for my 2 year old, and she said she hasn't seen Loden coats in years.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Sorry that the link I posted didn't seem to work, but if you look at Loden-Plankl's site, under the category of "range", I think you can see some of their offerings.  

As the child of Austrians, I was occassionally dressed in traditional wear as well -- I especially loved the lederhosen.  Mind you, this was for special family events, or the annual German-American festival, not everyday life in Ohio.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mettez, Paris, in the Rue Maleherbes, carried Schneiders (the loden coat I'm wearing today) and many other similar items. Jay Kos and P J Huntsman (44th St) carry Lodenfrey in New York. The Jay Kos coat costs over $900. A Schneiders loden coat will now run about $600 US.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that sort of coat in a shop in Indianapolis called The Oxford Shop. It was made in Austria, if I remember correctly.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it looks like it would only be found in Trachten type stores, unfortunately. Â I was hoping to get my husband to try one on without having to go to Europe.
You might want to contact the US subsidiary of Schneiders Salzburg to see where their loden coat is sold in this country (212-768-1590 or email [email protected]). I'd also suggest you look for alpaca content in the coat. The Scheniders coat with alpaca is smoother and feels better than the Salko loden coat I wore formerly.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
F,

the proper translation might be "boiled wool", but I don't think that anybody would use that today, Loden in the term most commonly in use.

the best place to buy a coat like this would be Munich or Austria, although you could find one in Dusseldorf (closer to Maastrict) you won't find the type of selction that you will find in Munich.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I called Schneider and left a message. Stylestudent, how do you like your Loden coat? How do people react to it? I wear, from time to time, what I would call "adapted traditional" outfits, which I pick up on my trips. They are often admired.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stylestudent, how do you like your Loden coat?  How do people react to it?  
F-

I like a looser unfitted coat, even with suits. I always felt constricted by the typical fitted cashmere double-breasted dress topcoat (which were all less durable and far more expensive than the loden and covert cloth coats that I wear now). Loden is more practical - it sheds water and wears well and requires no particular care (dirt just brushes off). As with most clothes that may be somewhat outside the norm, I don't receive much comment one way or the other (back pleat or not).

ord

Reaction score
It's not on their website, but last week I saw some Italian-made Loden coats at the Fifth Avenue branch of Brooks Brothers. They were priced the same as the single-breasted camel hair coats, at around $900, and I believe they were 25% off.

Pressfan

Reaction score
Ord, you beat me to it.  Brooks Brothers in Detroit had loden coats as well, when I was there after Christmas.  I also recall seeing them last year.  I also recall them being made in Austria, but cannot remember the maker.  I debated between the loden and the Storm System long coat and ended up getting the Storm System, but was quite impressed by the lodens.  Perhaps next year.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one of my top coats is loden, in a charcoal with an A-Line. my wife loves it, it is comfortable and quite warm. Made in Austria for an Italian label.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads