Lock Caps

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mack, Dec 8, 2004.

1. mack

mack Active Member

I need a Christmas gift in a hurry and have not been able to find anyone here who stocks Lock caps. Any recommendations from our experts?

If not Lock, then who else makes a nice cap?

Thanks

2. dorian

dorian Senior member

I don't think any stores in the US do...

You're in NYC, no? Have you tried Bergdorf's? They sometimes have nice things.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Not familiar with the brand, and a search is useless. What is the product you're looking for?

4. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

Do you mean the British hatmaker, Locke? If so, do you want only that brand, or that style? And what style of cap? (I don't know the exact names here): Irish walking cap, flat cap...

If you only want the Locke brand, try Jay Kos or maybe (but unlikely) Herzfeld. If you want similar styles, check those as well as Saks, Bergdorf, Paul Stuart, and J. Press, as well as J&J Hats.

I recently went up and down Madison and Fifth and found two great caps that I bought, so if you know the style and brand, maybe I can direct you. I had better luck finding Borsalino brands that fit the bill.

5. dorian

dorian Senior member

James Lock ---- Lock & Co. Hatters Best hatter in the world, IMO. Say, why not try calling them directly? Very personable service... I'm sure they would tell you of any stockists in the U.S.

6. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

Ben Silver carries a few Lock hats on their website The caps seem not to be Lock, though.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Hell yeah. [​IMG]

8. novalis

novalis Senior member

Check this thread for hat shops in NY area

9. Horace

Horace Senior member

I have several Lock hats and caps. Â Great stuff. Â Ben Silver hat one very nice hat (albeit not a cap) on their clearance section for a long time. Brooks used to have their label on Lock hats and caps. If you are in a hurry -- Lock will send straightaway. Â And British post used to be very fast, anyway. Say, not to hijack thread too much, but of the tweed hats here: http://www.jameslock.co.uk/prod1.t....1B6BEAE which cut of tweed hat do you like better, Grouse, Minsmere or Squire?

10. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

I too have several Lock hats, including a racing felt, coke hat (the proper name for a bowler, especially one from Lock), and two tasselled smoking caps.

The shop is virtually unchanged from the time when they used to make Admiral Nelson's hats. The service is excellent, and it's well worth a visit when in London, especially since it is so close to Jermyn Street.