• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lobbs on ebay, important question - help??

Phil

Reaction score
Ive been eyeing a pair of Lobb's that come up on Ebay every now and again. They are the Jermyn II shoe, and they are up for auction again. The problem with them is that "they were rejected because they couldnt reach the high shine Lobb requires". Is this indicative of poor calfskin, or some other malady, perhaps in the dying process? I own several pairs of Lobbs, know these would fit perfectly, but dont want to buy an inferior pair, even at an attractive price. Any idea what the lack of high shine really means?

Phil

Reaction score
Also, one other minor thing - the auction states the shoes are 10E british / 10 1/2 american. The other Lobb's I own are 10E british, yet they equate to an american 11. This is what the people at Lobb have always told me. Is this seller just uninformed? I wear 11 US in every other brand (Green, AE, etc.)

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You know how shoes in Lobb's Prestige/bevelled-sole line have a waxy, super-shiny finish? I would assume that these shoes won't take that level of shine and have more of a satiny finish. That's not a bad thing for me since I don't really like an extremely glossy finish. However, I ultimately decided that the price being asked was too much for shoes that were seconds that I couldn't examine beforehand. Well, that, and I don't really like black shoes that much.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, one other minor thing - the auction states the shoes are 10E british / 10 1/2 american. The other Lobb's I own are 10E british, yet they equate to an american 11. This is what the people at Lobb have always told me. Is this seller just uninformed? I wear 11 US in every other brand (Green, AE, etc.)
In my opinion, yes, especially with this particular last. All Lobb lasts that I've tried run a bit large, and the 7000 runs especially large. I'm a 10D US. I typically wear a 9E in JL Paris lasts, but I can wear an 8.5E in 7000.

Phil

Reaction score
im having the same thoughts. I love Lobbs (albeit second in preference to EGs), but I agree with you. I would want to inspect them first. I just love the design. Being the proud owner of a pair of EG stowes that I got about a month ago, I really feel like this is just the perfect design of a shoe. In some ways I like Lobb's design even more elegant than the EG's (in respect to Jermyn II vs. Stowe). I love the one piece design, as opposed to EG's two piece design.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are seconds and I believe, the seller has bought them at Lobb's Northampton outlet shop. Whether the shoe's "problems" are minor or quite severe, only a close examination will tell. But they were severe enough to warrant a "Reject" stamp

MPS

Reaction score
I've seen the same advertisement and I found the line about the shoes not taking a high shine rather dubious. As B-S has mentioned, the shoes at the JL factory outlet might have a variety of defects. Some, like the Chelmers I bought, are prototypes: mine are on a slightly different last to the shoes that were ultimately produced. I paid only £125 for them.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When the shoes did not polish according to standard, Lobb sent them back to the leather supplier. That's where they came from. I'm sure they will polish up nicely, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair. In fact I'm kicking myself for not doing so early on when a pair in my size went for $250 or so. I thought they would be too small. But since I've discovered that, as Jcusey says, the 7000 last runs really big. I have a pair of "Stafford" cap toes on the 7000, in size 11E. They fit acceptably, though a 11.5E would be perfect. By way of contrast, I take a 12E or 12.5E in Edward Green.

naturlaut

Reaction score
In my opinion, yes, especially with this particular last. All Lobb lasts that I've tried run a bit large, and the 7000 runs especially large. I'm a 10D US. I typically wear a 9E in JL Paris lasts, but I can wear an 8.5E in 7000.
I agree. Â This is especially true with 7000, as it is made extra-long (not too wide, just long), even longer than 8695. Â I think you should take half size down, and since they are whole-cuts, it should feel a little tight at the beginning and after 3 or 4 wearing the leather will soften down to fit your feet. I have to say that I might not find these elongated lasts very appealing. Â My City (plain cap-toe) were ordered to be made on 9026 instead of their stock 7000, and I think it looks much more elegant. The 8000, however, should not be as long. I haven't tried one 8000 yet, but I saw them on a pair of boots (new design) and they were quite nice. Had anyone ordered from this seller before? Â And do the shoes look significantly different from the pictures?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to say that I might not find these elongated lasts very appealing. My City (plain cap-toe) were ordered to be made on 9026 instead of their stock 7000, and I think it looks much more elegant. The 8000, however, should not be as long. I haven't tried one 8000 yet, but I saw them on a pair of boots (new design) and they were quite nice.
There are two things that surprise me about this. First, I thought that City was made on 8695, not 7000. Secondly, I didn't know that JL Paris would do special orders on lasts other than the usual for a particular model. I've always been told that they can't do it, but that could be due to ignorant salesmen. Where did you place your order (and what is 9026 like)?

I like 8000 very much. It's sized like most of the other Lobb lasts that I have experience with. A good square-toed last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads