1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lobb's new 'Wholecut'

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by juniper, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why is it a gimmick? Is it a gimmick when other artisans do the same thing?

None of them have, yet.

2. Nescio

Nescio Well-Known Member

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I like the vintage 2009.

The lines are simple , not fuzzy and compared to the 2008 , no stupid punching or laser engraving.

I like them but i like my shoes very simple because i like using different patinas on them.

4. RJman

I like the vintage 2009.
    Mais non! They look like something Xavier Aubercy dreamt up after eating something that disagreed with him!

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Mais non! They look like something Xavier Aubercy dreamt up after eating something that disagreed with him!
    Would you like them better if they were made of light green mouse skin? Lacing on the side of course!

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Xavier Aubercy is a cretin.I will have a look at them in the flesh but the shadowy effect of the leather appeals to me...

I have a pair of smokey dark grey Gaziano and I love them.

Gentlemen , horses for courses ou tous les gouts sont dans la nature.

7. RJman

Xavier Aubercy is a cretin.
    He means well and his heart is in the right place. His shoe design sense is... very French...
    Evidemment... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=145853

8. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I think it would have looked better without the bottom layer, ie made like a spiral adelaide with a medallion.

Oh well. I would still rather have other Lobb models before this one

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I think it would have looked better without the bottom layer, ie made like a spiral adelaide with a medallion.

Oh well. I would still rather have other Lobb models before this one

It is not a bad shoe .I prefer the Jermyn II but I'm still interested in the colours they're offering.

10. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Like I've said before, JLP is overrated. Mediocre lasts, gimmicky designs, and boring sole treatment makes G&G and EG far more attractive options.

11. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

The copy on the site is ridiculous -"pushes the known limits of the craft". The way they word it -the folks at Lobb must be worn out after the monumental challenge of making these shoes.

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Like I've said before, JLP is overrated. Mediocre lasts, gimmicky designs, and boring sole treatment makes G&G and EG far more attractive options.

I wear everyday JLP shoes and they're fantastic.

They're well made ,always smart and a propos (understated elegance).

The main pair I'm wearing is the uber classic City II and they're a real pleasure to match with my suits.

I also have Gaziano bespoke shoes but I do not like his RTW models.
    When GAZIANO will have as many collections than JLP , he will run the risk to be gimmicky .

The problem is not to have a fw great lasts but to continue to create great lasts.
    I think you're unfair to a company who created the Perrier ,Jermyn and so many great classic shoes.

13. RJman

I think you're unfair to a company who created the Perrier ,Jermyn and so many great classic shoes.

The problem is that Lobb isn't making classics any more. And almost none of its new designs are memorable, at least not in a good way. Lobb is trying to be luxury brand like Montblanc or Dunheel and coming out with new designs every season.

14. gdl203

You sound like someone who's never owned (maybe even never seen?) a JLP shoe. Am I wrong?

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The problem is that Lobb isn't making classics any more. And almost none of its new designs are memorable, at least not in a good way. Lobb is trying to be luxury brand like Montblanc or Dunheel and coming out with new designs every season.

That was the point I was trying to make without success.

JLP is trying to create new models all the time . They have discontinued the great models we all love and try to replace them without any rational strategy or thinking behind it.

They're still good shoes.

Edward Green is following that path too with the Beaulieu being discontinued and replaced by an aesthetic placebo.

I have stopped buying RTW because I don't really like what I see .

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

You sound like someone who's never owned (maybe even never seen?) a JLP shoe. Am I wrong?

His criticisms are aesthetic, so whether he's owned the shoes doesn't matter.

17. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Pretty much every major rtw shoe manufactuer is doing this....lots of new designs every season and the old classics no longer available.

18. gdl203

His criticisms are aesthetic, so whether he's owned the shoes doesn't matter.

Aesthetics on pictures and IRL are different animals. Forexample, you look sometimes quite dapper in pictures.

19. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Aesthetics on pictures and IRL are different animals. Forexample, you look sometimes quite dapper in pictures.

I agree with Gdl203... Most people have only seen the new model on the website.

If you go to Gaziano or Edward Green appaling website by the way , are you going to have a great view of a shoe?

We all know some shoes look great on display and less elegant when on the feet and vice-versa.

JM WESTON ,BERLUTI , JLP, C&J and EG are all doing the same thing and following the same strategy of quick collection launch and model rotations to create a constant buzz around their pseudo updated models.

We all want beautiful classic shoes and they don't get it.
    I'm happy buying the same JM WESTON loafers than 30 years ago but that kind of thinking is not validated by the upmarket brands.

20. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I wear everyday JLP shoes and they're fantastic.

They're well made ,always smart and a propos (understated elegance).

The main pair I'm wearing is the uber classic City II and they're a real pleasure to match with my suits.

I also have Gaziano bespoke shoes but I do not like his RTW models.
    When GAZIANO will have as many collections than JLP , he will run the risk to be gimmicky .

The problem is not to have a fw great lasts but to continue to create great lasts.

There's no denying that JLP can make a fairly good shoe but that's not my beef with them. JLP styling is unappealing to me and its easy to see why with this latest spiral wholecut. It looks contrived and over-thought, like much of their new collection.

If you're in for the classics, JLP is not the place to look. Every time I walk into their store, I have to take the extra effort to find something more down to earth. Unless they tone it down with their designs, they're not going to win back any favors of mine.

I own two JLP Prestige models.

The 2006 Vintage in gray calf and the William in brown.

Your point?