• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lobb Shoe Salesman and the Used Car Lot. The Same?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I wasn't asking for the actual persons name, just the store.
I thought the OP said Nieman Marcus

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I thought the OP said Nieman Marcus

hossoso was responding to this post.
Originally Posted by LSeca

My clothing and shoe saleman knows my sizes and calls me when new items arrive, sets up an appointment, has different ensembles laid out on the table for me, etc. He also knows what kind of style and color I like as well as my work hours and days off. He calls once a month, no more and no less, to see how I am doing.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Thank you for clearing that up Tomasso. You are a gentleman, intelligent and a thoughtful poster. You make this forum better.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hossoso,

Sorry to hear about your experience there. I have not tried out Isabella's, what is your opinion of this place?

Unfortunately, if you dress nicer the next time you go into Mario's you may get even more stuff pushed upon you by salesman (one more reason I work wtih only one individual who knows my taste). You would think the people working would know the more casual clothed people coming in have nothing to prove and are more than likely there to buy.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Hossoso,

Sorry to hear about your experience there. I have not tried out Isabella's, what is your opinion of this place?

Unfortunately, if you dress nicer the next time you go into Mario's you may get even more stuff pushed upon you by salesman (one more reason I work wtih only one individual who knows my taste). You would think the people working would know the more casual clothed people coming in have nothing to prove and are more than likely there to buy.

Isabella's and Le Frock (on Cap.Hill) only deal in fine vintage clothing at very discounted prices. They frequently have a great selection of shoes for men in addition to every other clothing item. If you haven't been, you are missing out on special Seattle considerations for the well-heeled. I hope I am not giving away too many secrets here, I have been warned against that.

lockey2k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Interesting.... I tried on my first ever pair of Lobbs over the weekend at Hermes in Chicago. The saleman was not a shoe expert (his business card said he specializes in jewelry and watches). He was very helpful and attentive, even after I told him flat out that I could not afford $1200 shoes. He complimented my taste and told me when they hold their two annual sales and suggested I call just before then to find out when to come in and find the best stuff on sale.

I was carrying a new pair of AE's since I had just been trying on pants for alterations accross the street at Boguslaw's. He asked to see them and was interested in the style and seemed impressed with the craftsmanship. He said he'd never heard of AE?

I guess that is all irrelevant, I just wanted to point out that there still are excellent service-oriented sales associates out there.

when are their sales?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to clarify that the heading is extremely misleading and untrue. The OP was referring to a shoe saleman at a NM. I find the store manager and staffs at the Lobb Madison Ave. store to be very helpful and knowledgeable, they know how different lasts and models fit and don't push for ones that don't fit properly. Same can be said about the Jermyn St. store. I suspect they are on salary, not commission.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I want to clarify that the heading is extremely misleading and untrue. The OP was referring to a shoe saleman at a NM. I find the store manager and staffs at the Lobb Madison Ave. store to be very helpful and knowledgeable, they know how different lasts and models fit and don't push for ones that don't fit properly. Same can be said about the Jermyn St. store. I suspect they are on salary, not commission.

+1.

Both Andreas and Emanuelle at the London outpost are exceptionally helpful and never pushy.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart

I have never had this type of experience before in any other shoe store. I thought it odd, that in a rather high class store as NM, a customer would be subjected to this kind of treatment. We are not talking about the local sports shoe store here as how many stores in Los Angeles sell John Lobb shoes? Even though he is a NM salesman he is selling JL shoes as a such a represenative of the brand.

If I wind up with a poorly fitted shoe, who is at fault here? Is it JL or is it the NM salesman who represents JL?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
If I wind up with a poorly fitted shoe, who is at fault here? Is it JL or is it the NM salesman who represents JL?

I would suggest that it is the fault of NM and the customer unless the salesperson is specifically an outstationed employee of JL (as with a traveling trunk show). Otherwise, you are buying an item that the store has purchased to resell. Once JL sells to NM they can no more be responsible for how well it is sold than can Oxxford be responsibile if Bergdorf screws up alterations or sells a 42R to an obvious 44L.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NM does not "represent" John Lobb.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have received terrific service on Lobb at the Atlanta NM as well as the NYC Lobb store.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
If I wind up with a poorly fitted shoe, who is at fault here?

If a salesman could talk you into it he shouldn't be selling either shoes or used cars. His skills are urgently needed at the White House.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had similar experience at NM. Salesman was unshaven (2 day stubble). He tried to service 3-4 people at the same time and completely forgot where he put box with shoes that I selected. I spent 15 minutes waiting for my shoes to be found.
And this freaking store does not take credit cards!

As far as service is concerned I have noticed steep decline in service in a past 7-8 years. Across the board decline. I have never had so many stupid little problems with US Banks, US accountants, and generally with all kinds of sales people.

I blame internet by making it's bad influence felt everywhere when it comes to customer service and sales.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I had similar experience at NM. Salesman was unshaven (2 day stubble). He tried to service 3-4 people at the same time and completely forgot where he put box with shoes that I selected. I spent 15 minutes waiting for my shoes to be found.
And this freaking store does not take credit cards!

As far as service is concerned I have noticed steep decline in service in a past 7-8 years. Across the board decline. I have never had so many stupid little problems with US Banks, US accountants, and generally with all kinds of sales people.

I blame internet by making it's bad influence felt everywhere when it comes to customer service and sales.

I'm curious as to why you'd blame the internet. I would think that since the ability to order goods over the internet means the local retailer will almost never be the only game in town, good personalized service would be one of the few ways in which the brick-and-mortar store can create a marketing advantage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads