• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lobb Shoe Salesman and the Used Car Lot. The Same?

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Last Saturday I went into my local Neiman Marcus Store to check out the shoes. They actually had a rather nice selection of Lobbs more than I have ever seen in one place in quite some time. One of the sales reps saw me lingering on the Lobbs so he stepped up to offer his help.

I told him up front that they were not going to fit as I have a rather narrow foot but this did not deter him but only motivated him to say that "If you don't try them on how would you know?" OK he knows I am not asking to try on shoes to waste his time because now he is offering to prove to me that he can fit this shoe to my foot.

No surprise here after trying on 2 pair it was obvious that my foot was too narrow for this style of shoe. Now it is his time to try save face and the sale so he starts a long and drawn out scenario with all the ways to achieve a great fit from an incorrectly sized shoe. He went into the back and bought out some inserts which he cut to size and put into the shoe. Still too loose but that is not going to stop him he takes off his rather tatty looking Gucci Boots and shows me the style of insert inside his shoe. Seeing that I wasn't overly enamored with his grimy insert he suggests wearing an oversize sock to achieve a tighter fit. On and on for at least 20 minutes he worked me over for that sale. You can feel the burden of a purchase pressing on you after all you have taken up his time now and obviously he has a handle on shoe fit not me. One has to fight off the urge to cave in by buying and dealing with size problems after the fact.

He couldn't see the point of my argument that if I am going to buy a $1400.00 pair of shoes it should fit better than this after all I can go anywhere and get crappy fitting shoes. I don't see any difference in this experience than when you're out buying a car it is the same.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate people in sales

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's irritating, sure, but what do you want, they make their money off of commissions. Also, he was a NM salesman, not Lobb, right?

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
It's irritating, sure, but what do you want, they make their money off of commissions. Also, he was a NM salesman, not Lobb, right?

Yes, a NM salesman (don't remember his name) and I understand his need but is it any wonder people wind up with poorly fitted shoes. Your the one that suffers not him.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby

This person may have been new or poorly trained. A good salesman knows there is more commission opportunity with a satisfied customer.

My clothing and shoe saleman knows my sizes and calls me when new items arrive, sets up an appointment, has different ensembles laid out on the table for me, etc. He also knows what kind of style and color I like as well as my work hours and days off. He calls once a month, no more and no less, to see how I am doing.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
This person may have been new or poorly trained. A good salesman knows there is more commission opportunity with a satisfied customer.

My clothing and shoe saleman knows my sizes and calls me when new items arrive, sets up an appointment, has different ensembles laid out on the table for me, etc. He also knows what kind of style and color I like as well as my work hours and days off. He calls once a month, no more and no less, to see how I am doing.

I guess this is for the shi-shi people. If I'm getting a call about new items, I'm going to be paying full price, and that's something I can't afford.
tounge.gif
But if you like the attention and the fact he knows your availability, then that is pretty good service and attention.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I guess this is for the shi-shi people. If I'm getting a call about new items, I'm going to be paying full price, and that's something I can't afford.
tounge.gif
But if you like the attention and the fact he knows your availability, then that is pretty good service and attention.

Understand your point, but I would rather pay full retail for something I want and can wear well. Getting a discount on something that is poor-fitting, you don't need, not to your taste, etc, but buying for the sake of sale price is never a good idea imo.

I guess the point I was trying to make was there are very good and attentive salesmen out there that know how to sell. Commission or not, they do not have to be pushy and it irritates me just like the original poster that situations like this happen.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Bah.. couple of bad apples ruin the reputation for the rest of us. Just like any other profession.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score

Names, I want names. Mario's, Butch Blum, Oslo's, Nordstrom, Barney's, something private from Scott Kuhlmann or Blackbird? We all want good service and to help the discerning salesperson out. If I encounter another Nordstrom shoesalesperson that mentions tires when I ask about Goodyear welts, they're going to get a shiv.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Names, I want names. Mario's, Butch Blum, Oslo's, Nordstrom, Barney's, something private from Scott Kuhlmann or Blackbird? We all want good service and to help the discerning salesperson out.
Yes, please share his name! He has to be in a smaller private store, I've never met anyone like that in the larger ones.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting.... I tried on my first ever pair of Lobbs over the weekend at Hermes in Chicago. The saleman was not a shoe expert (his business card said he specializes in jewelry and watches). He was very helpful and attentive, even after I told him flat out that I could not afford $1200 shoes. He complimented my taste and told me when they hold their two annual sales and suggested I call just before then to find out when to come in and find the best stuff on sale.

I was carrying a new pair of AE's since I had just been trying on pants for alterations accross the street at Boguslaw's. He asked to see them and was interested in the style and seemed impressed with the craftsmanship. He said he'd never heard of AE?

I guess that is all irrelevant, I just wanted to point out that there still are excellent service-oriented sales associates out there.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never understood buying incorrectly fitting shoes with inserts, pads, etc. That's a solution if you buy online and are stuck with them, I suppose. But there's no way you're buying a new shoe in a store that doesn't fit properly.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Yes, please share his name! He has to be in a smaller private store, I've never met anyone like that in the larger ones.

Sorry about taking this thread in a dif direction.

Hossoso and Robin,

I don't want to throw out a name without the individual being aware of it first. I will say that I buy almost all of my clothing at Mario's, OTR stuff is purchased near there at Seattle Nordstrom.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Sorry about taking this thread in a dif direction.

Hossoso and Robin,

I don't want to throw out a name without the individual being aware of it first. I will say that I buy almost all of my clothing at Mario's, OTR stuff is purchased near there at Seattle Nordstrom.

I wasn't asking for the actual persons name, just the store. I'm glad you didn't say Edie's or Five Doors Down. I have never bought shoes from Mario's even though they carry some great stuff aside from their Hugo Boss store. I may in the future. Last time I was there they pushed trends and fashion on me and I was turned off. I don't know if I had the wrong attitude or I wasn't dressed appropiately enough for them to take the proper interest in me but I was not enamored with the trendy **** they brought out to me. They did provide scotch and wine (every men's store should) and though I frown on their judgmental tendencies, maybe I will dress to their standards. Next time I will wear an indisputably fine blazer and slacks to satiate their interests. The practice disgusts me but service is service. Have you checked out Isabella's?

edit: this post sounds arrogant, sorry. I'm too lazy to rewrite it now but it I think it sounds snob and I will correct it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads