• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lobb resole

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The prospect of waiting 12 weeks for my favourite shoes is a bit daunting. I've been considering Leatherspa, Ercolino and Jim's.

Any photos of work done by these guys would be appreciated :D

I scoured the web and one set of blurry photos of work by Ercolino, which did look pretty nice. Anything a little more detailed would be helpful.

Looking specfically for the restitch to be done by hand so that the original thread holes are reused.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume the blurry photos refer to this.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned B.Nelson among the options. Have you asked Nick V.?

Fwiw, if you do send your shoes back to Lobb, they may replace the welt altogether as they do at EG.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed that is what I'm referring to. They look pretty sweet from the photos, but I'd love to see the stitch.

My shoes are in great shape aside from having been loved too much :embar: the insoles are other areas are in fine shape. Frankly I was expecting another year or two before a resole.

I have a pair of Ferragamo Special Edition Tramezza that have been going strong for 4 years of regular use, but they're likely to need resoles soon as well. Unlike Lobb, Ferragamo will not return them to the factory for a recraft.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skinny:

During my project to figure out where any and all superhighend shoes could be found in my city I hit not only the obvious places for men's dress shoes but also ended up checking out bespoke suiting boutiques. I realized many of these places don't necc. advertise via the web that they carry G&G, EG, Santoni FAM, Scafora, Bontoni etc etc. I used my visit to ask each and every one which cobbler they used in town. This basically resulted in a top3 cobbler list, and the list was way better than what a deep-web-review-search would have yielded.

Then I coincidentally picked up some Ferragamo originales NIB for $350 (670+tax MSRP) and - since I found the heel a bit too short - at this pricepoint I decided to try on the #1 spot on my list for a little stack work. They did a great job, verified my DD from my little tour and will be getting all work for all my stuff - including my few cherished JL-level big ticket items (lol) - in the future.

Long story short: if you have any kind of little work whatsoever you were considering on a cheaper/older make in your rotation, do a bit of digging as to the real "full" list of cobblers the "professionals" use, then try on your sense of who's #1 with a cheap job. If the cobbler F's-up you're not ruining your week and if they're amazing take your Lobbs there. (*many threads attest to the fact that while Lobbs-going-to-the-Lobb-factory (and so forth for the superpremo makes) is most certainly a great, warm and fuzzy concept, you can save a significant chunk of change and a helluva lot of waiting for the same end result by going local....these being JLs though is why I suggested this little tour/test thing may be worth your time. It'd take a week or so at minimum before you're comfortable your JLs are going to the best possible cobbler - with a pilot project in hand to prove it - but it certainly wouldn't take anywhere near 3 months.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha
Are you listenin' to me, skinny? I'm givin' ya pearls here!
:p

Sounds like the top3 cobblers thing has already been established..

SW1Y

Reaction score
Fwiw, if you do send your shoes back to Lobb, they may replace the welt altogether as they do at EG.

But the gent is looking for someone to hand welt the shoes and if these are sent to John Lobb Paris they will (probably) be GY welted.

I can't help you with cobblers in NY, but do still consider the factory option as your local repairer will not put these shoes on their original lasts (one of the reasons why the turnaround is 12 weeks) for a reasonable amount of time (which would be trumped by someone hand stitching your new soles on ofc).

Last edited:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, no one has pictures? :D

Well, there's this guy. He has installed flush mounted taps for me in the past and I've been pleased with his work. Never had him do a resole for me and doubt he offers his services by mail, so probably not very useful for you.

Maybe have a look at @randythecobbler?

Don't know if your desire to have the 'restitch done by hand so that the original thread holes are reused' is warranted or not though. Besides, if there are added benefits to that, I just assume a place like B.Nelson will do that by default whether they handstitch the new soles or set the spi correctly to do it by machine.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe a handstitching is unnecessary, my only complaint with previous work was that running over the old holes left a bit to be desired. The rest of the work was superb.

SirReveller, I appreciate the suggestion, but I'd like to get these back in the rotation soon rather than spent time/effort/money restoring other shoes.

Last edited:

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roger that. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

sclemmons

Reaction score
I have sent several pairs of Lobbs back to the factory and they come back perfect. Like new for 1/3 the price of new. I would never send a pair of Lobbs anywhere else. Just do it. You won't be sorry. Use the savings to buy another pair on sale.

I have had good luck with Alden, too.

I just sent a pair back to Weston. Fingers crossed for perfection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads