Lobb Paris vs. Lobb London vs. Cleverly???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Apr 23, 2006.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Bespoke - Quality? Customer Service? Price? Tell me all.

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Lobb Paris is going to cost you well over 3000 euros, closer to 4000 euros. They offer a few basic models, square waist, at their base bespoke price, which is something like 3200 or 3500 euros.

Lobb London have their price on their website. Note that they also surcharge for orders taken on their overseas visits. I believe their prices do not include VAT.

Just some notes -- I haven't used either. Medwards is a well-shod Cleverley customer of long standing.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Yes, Cleverley seems significantly more au bon marchÃ[​IMG]. Do you know if they offer three piece shoe trees as an option?

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just some notes -- I haven't used either. Medwards is a well-shod Cleverley customer of long standing.

Z...Manton has also used at least two of three and will be quite helpful, I'm sure.

5. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

Yes, Cleverley seems significantly more au bon marchÃ[​IMG]. Do you know if they offer three piece shoe trees as an option?
    I find three piece shoe trees awkward and highly impractical. I ordered them with my Vass shoes and thought they were kewl at first, but every time I want to wear one of the shoes, I get irritated by handling them. It simply takes more effort to remove or insert them and they also aren't easy to store in the meantime.

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe Marc Grayson has used all three;

as well as Tony Gaziano and Paul Davies (London Shoemaker), not forgetting John Wildsmith for RTW.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I find three piece shoe trees awkward and highly impractical. I ordered them with my Vass shoes and thought they were kewl at first, but every time I want to wear one of the shoes, I get irritated by handling them. It simply takes more effort to remove or insert them and they also aren't easy to store in the meantime.
    For me, the cool factor is powerful and hard to ignore. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. J.P. Myhre

J.P. Myhre Well-Known Member

zjpj83,
    I believe there is a slight difference in "schools" between the three makers you mentioned. I would claim that the French Lobb is even more conservative in the way they work than the brits. They use a different sole leather which makes the shoes heavier. The upper leather is often French in France and Italian in Britain, which also may mean firmer in Paris and slightly softer in London, but it will depend on style and thickness of the leather. You can expect all three to make whatever shoetree you demand. One more thing, Lobb France make a sample shoe for you, Lobb London don´t. I do not think Cleverley make muck-ups either. To make a good fit, is a matter of human intuition and confidence! Good luck!

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Thanks, the upper insight is very helpful.

10. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

As RJman suggests, I have been a customer of Cleverley's John Carnera and George Glasgow for quite a long time. As should be evident, I have found their quality and customer service first rate. Their shoes are very classic, exceedingly light, with an eye toward comfort as well as style. The price for my most recent pair of shoes was 1276 pounds plus 136 pounds for the accompanying hinged shoe trees. My experience with John Lobb St James's was a very long while ago and I doubt it would be terribly revelant today. I have not had Lobb Paris make for me so I am afraid I am not able to provide any personal comparisons...but I cannot see how I would be more satisfied than I am with Cleverley

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

medwards - that price is fantastic. Is that because you already had your lasts made so it was less than normal? Or is that their going rate?

I see Cleverleys in my near future....

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Or is that their going rate?
    That's the price without VAT (17.5%). With VAT included (for EU residents) it works out at GBP 1550 and that (or maybe GBP 50 less) is the going rate for all London Westend workshops (apart from John Lobb, who charges more).

All London workshops charge their price for a pair of shoes. There is no reduction if they can use the existing last. Equally no increase in price, if you want a different last shape.

13. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Having never used any of the above, I do note that JM Weston makes a very attractive waisted shoe...

14. J.P. Myhre

15. J.P. Myhre