• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lobb Osner by C&J

Frittata

Reaction score
I've won yesterday an ebay auction for a shoe where the seller claims it is the John Lobb Osner but on the picture you can see Crockett & Jones stamped in. http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...8519&rd=1&rd=1 I've checked here on the forum and found that the C&J Lawrence looks almost like the JL Osner. Could it be that C&J produced this shoe for JL? I've never thought that JL sold shoes made by C&J. P.S.: Sorry for posting in the wrong forum... it should be Men's clothing.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhh they appear to be Crockett's and have nothing to do with Lobb other than the misleading description. Model is Barnsley. CJ have green bags, Lobbs have yellow.

Frittata

Reaction score
Sorry... I've never heard of a C&J Barnsley

The seller told me that Lobb was stamped on the shoe and they also look 100% like the Osner/Lawrence.

Therefore I thought that this shoe is probably from the C&J factory shop in Northampton.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
The ladies in the factory shop have told me, whispered actually, that they do make the occasional shoe for JL. I'd assumed this was to cover JL production when they get over busy.

satorstyle

Reaction score
It's a good looking shoe if you're satisfied with the price I wouldn't sweat it, but if you are not satisfied you definitely can state that the product was mis-represented.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
The ladies in the factory shop have told me, whispered actually, that they do make the occasional shoe for JL. I'd assumed this was to cover JL production when they get over busy.

This is very interesting news to say the least.

Moderators, could you move this thread to where it belongs.

It would be an interesting discussion, and I'd like to see the views of some of our shoe experts.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, it is almost certainly the C&J Lawrence, not the Barnsley. The latter is a bench-grade shoe with a squared-off buckle. The Lawrence is a Handgrade shoe (as this is) with a rounded-corner buckle. The Lawrence, which is strikingly similar in appearance to the JLobb Osner, no longer appears in the C&J catalog. Oddly, although the shoe is pretty clearly a Handgrade C&J, the inside logo is the stamped-on (in gold) variety normally seen in the bench-grade series, not the impressed-in version normally seen in the Handgrades. So there are some intriguing seeming anomalies with this shoe, not the least of which is the color--dark navy in smooth leather (not suede or nubuck), something I've never seen or heard of with C&J. Second, this would not, I think, be an example of C&J handling some extra work for Lobb. If that were the case, the Lobb name would undoubtedly appear in the shoe. Third, the seller states a retail price of 400 GBP. The current price of C&J Handgrades (from the C&J 2007 catalog) with the extra hand-stitching around the apron that the Lawrence has is 385 GBP, close to the 400 stated., and a long way from JLobb prices (now around 600 GBP). So all things considered, I think it's probably a special-run C&J Lawrence.

Regardless, that is a lovely shoe (I also have the Lawrence) at a really terrific price.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oops sorry I forgot to look at the handgrade section of my CJ catalog, so Roger could certianly be right. they could be handgrades. of the benchgrades they looked most like Barnsley.

thanks

Frittata

Reaction score
I received the shoe yesterday and it's weird.

The inside logo is Crockett&Jones.
Someone has written Osner and 236 by hand on the inside.
But most striking is that on the sole is stamped John Lobb Paris ... and another stamp which I couldn't read but it could be a sort of seconds marker.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frittata
I received the shoe yesterday and it's weird.

The inside logo is Crockett&Jones.
Someone has written Osner and 236 by hand on the inside.
But most striking is that on the sole is stamped John Lobb Paris ... and another stamp which I couldn't read but it could be a sort of seconds marker.

Is the second stamp "SUBS" in block capitals?

Frittata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Is the second stamp "SUBS" in block capitals?
it's difficult to read it but I think so...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads