• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lobb or Cleverley

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
any chance of seeing picture of both you C and G&G's?

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I'm the most exclusive. I don't even make shoes.

What is more exclusive a shop with one shoe in it or a shoe with one shop in it? Think on that!
tinfoil.gif

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK- I've emailed Cleverley and have an approximate price which includes the VAT. Do I have to pay VAT?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
OK- I've emailed Cleverley and have an approximate price which includes the VAT. Do I have to pay VAT?

Not if you don't live in the EU.

Jupiter

Reaction score
With respect to the VAT, Cleverley will provide you with a rebate form that you take the airport when you leave the EU. You get it stamped by customs and then send back to them. At Heathrow Terminal 3, this took me all of three minutes. Get it stamped and the post box is several meters away.

The cash can be refunded upon request or added to your account for future purchases.

Jupiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Those need shoe trees like humans need to breathe oxygen.

Rest assured that the shoes from both Cleverley and G & G now have trees from their respective makers to keep them company.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I pay the VAT upfront and it is reimbursed, correct? Also, I will be going from London to Paris then to Italy. I submit the VAT forms at each countries airports?

Originally Posted by Jupiter
With respect to the VAT, Cleverley will provide you with a rebate form that you take the airport when you leave the EU. You get it stamped by customs and then send back to them. At Heathrow Terminal 3, this took me all of three minutes. Get it stamped and the post box is several meters away.

The cash can be refunded upon request or added to your account for future purchases.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If Cleverley ships the shoes to you, they will not charge you the VAT at all. This is preferable, since if you pay it and get reimbursed at the airport, you will not get the full amount back. The shipping charges will be less than the amount of VAT you don't get back at the airport.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I will have cleverley ship the shoes back. Also, Lobb St. James only takes a 50% deposit so I will go ahead and have a pair made by Lobb as well instead of waiting.

Originally Posted by Manton
If Cleverley ships the shoes to you, they will not charge you the VAT at all. This is preferable, since if you pay it and get reimbursed at the airport, you will not get the full amount back. The shipping charges will be less than the amount of VAT you don't get back at the airport.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I will have cleverley ship the shoes back. Also, Lobb St. James only takes a 50% deposit so I will go ahead and have a pair made by Lobb as well instead of waiting.

I thought in one of the threads that Lobb Paris was better than St. James. There was something to the French styling.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I thought in one of the threads that Lobb Paris was better than St. James. There was something to the French styling.

Great point. I would love to know which is "better." Lobb St. James is not mass produced, if I am correct, so they might be a little more elitist.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lobb St. James is not mass produced

And neither is Lobb Paris-- IF you get bespoke. They also do RTW, made in England.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads