• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lobb experts, question on my Chapels

bjm

Reaction score
Dark brown museum calf, A not great Pic of me wearing them attached. This is my first pair of JL's and bought blind via ebay. I am normally a 10.5 US so I took a gamble on 9.5 UK. Just got them in the mail today, I can safely say I have never tried on a more comfortable new show. Fits like a glove and love the 8000 last which is plenty wide enough in the width for me.

The quality of the leather is also fantastic. One thing I was surprised about was how dark the shoe finish looks in the flesh as opposed to the seller photo attached which has a much more lighter almost burgundy color.

How should I go about polishing to get best coloring effect similar to the seller photo?

Thanks

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
that is a beautiful shoe. the chapels run a half size larger than other laceups on 8000 so you are correct on your fit.

i would just go with a dark brown wax polish.
if in terms of 'color effect' you mean keeping/maintaining the mottled museum coloring, dont worry, that will never disappear as i believe these are anililine dyed. wax polish is translucent so even with many many applications and jobs , you will never cover up the mottled effect.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So would a neutral wax polish on the chestnut museum be okay or should I go with a light brown wax polish?

Pengranger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i wouldnt use neutral wax on anything...

I've got the Jermyn II in the same colour and have also been concerned about the finish. I've used "Renovator Shoe Polish SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR" with great success. Also, any minor lines in the wonderful leather basically disappear once they are back on their trees. I haven't found it leaves any white traces.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your Chapels look terrific! I have the same color in Philip II and Farndon, and the finish continues to look great after several polishings. I use a cream polish on my Lobbs.

bjm

Reaction score
Thanks. I would love to pick up a pair of the Philip II or Beckets next.

bjm

Reaction score
That is good to know. I hate creasing in the vamp area.

Originally Posted by Pengranger
I've got the Jermyn II in the same colour and have also been concerned about the finish. I've used "Renovator Shoe Polish SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR" with great success. Also, any minor lines in the wonderful leather basically disappear once they are back on their trees. I haven't found it leaves any white traces.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjm
Thanks. I would love to pick up a pair of the Philip II or Beckets next.
Both shoes are great, you won't be disappointed with either.

bjm

Reaction score
Are all the prestige line on the 8000 Last?

Originally Posted by JayJay
Both shoes are great, you won't be disappointed with either.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjm
That is good to know. I hate creasing in the vamp area.

actually i like creasing if it is done on a correct fitting shoe. it adds depth to the look of a shoe especially a balmoral shoe. i hope you come to see that.

Originally Posted by bjm
Are all the prestige line on the 8000 Last?

no.

bjm

Reaction score
Would you know offhand which models are on the 8000 last? Thanks

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
actually i like creasing if it is done on a correct fitting shoe. it adds depth to the look of a shoe especially a balmoral shoe. i hope you come to see that.

no.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i dont know off top of my head, sorry. but here is a link of shoes last updated in 2007 that may be of some use to you. some models are listed as having certain lasts, some you can view the shoe and determine the last sort of.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=33612

you can also try calling the south coast john lobb store, they are usually not busy, and the guys there are very nice and love to answer any question. they may be able to assist you.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would use a medium brown wax and use it sparingly. If you use neutral or too much polish you will get a whitish, waxy film on the shoe. A brown wax will also prevent whitish highlights in the creases.

BTW, beautiful shoe. I think it has a wonderful combination of classic and modern style. Plus, I always gt compliments on double monks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads