• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lobb Cordovan boots?!

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just thought the leather had a funny look to it.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They're probably not shell cordovan, then they would be the rather rare "˜Ravello' colour . I think it still stands, what I was told haughtily in the shop: "We do not work with cordovan leather". English companies hate the stuff, although they have to use it, as the international market (Germany, Japan) demands it.

Maybe JL (Paris) could do a little trial-run (just like Edward Green has done). JL (St James's) does offer it.
Judging by the heels, these boots are at least five or six years old.

lute

Reaction score
bengal-stripe;751769 said:
They’re probably not shell cordovan, then they would be the rather rare ‘Ravello’ colour . I think it still stands, what I was told haughtily in the shop: “We do not work with cordovan leather”. English companies hate the stuff, although they have to use it, as the international market (Germany, Japan) demands it.

While visiting Lobb's some years ago I inquired about the possibility of ordering a pair of shell cordovan riding boots.
The response to me was anything but haughty; the gentleman was clearly embarrassed. "Well", he said, "We did attempt a pair once".
There was a brief silence. "It, er, did not work out".
When pressed (for my own amusement) he stated that Lobb would need a price well in excess of five thousand dollars (this was in 1994) to hazard a second attempt.

It requires much experience and skill to work with cordovan; it is not like any other leather. It has a nasty propensity to tear without warning in the lasting or sewing.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh, I was just thinking about the possibilities of cordovan riding boots the other day. It would probably need to be a mix of many pieces of shell, or instead a mix a canvas and regular calf leather up past the ankle. I would not want to pay anyone to "hazard" an attempt though.
tongue.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
They're probably not shell cordovan, then they would be the rather rare "˜Ravello' colour . I think it still stands, what I was told haughtily in the shop: "We do not work with cordovan leather". English companies hate the stuff, although they have to use it, as the international market (Germany, Japan) demands it.

Maybe JL (Paris) could do a little trial-run (just like Edward Green has done). JL (St James's) does offer it.
Judging by the heels, these boots are at least five or six years old.

I'm curious, why do they "hate the stuff"?

Do they find it unrefined?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm curious as well, but I'm guessing that it's just a pain ********** to get. Alden probably gets a majority of what goes out to the market.

lute

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Heh, I was just thinking about the possibilities of cordovan riding boots the other day. It would probably need to be a mix of many pieces of shell, or instead a mix a canvas and regular calf leather up past the ankle. I would not want to pay anyone to "hazard" an attempt though.
tongue.gif

No, actually, a pair of tall boots requires two Number 1 sized shells for the shafts of the boots, and an X or number 2 sized shell for the feet.
If you would like to see a photo of a pair in Number 8 color, go here:

http://fagliano.com.ar/fagliano_eng....ectflash=false

then click on "Products" up above.

That is my personal pair, I rode in them for a few months before they were photographed. They fit perfectly, and are the most beautiful pair of tall boots I have ever seen.
Faglianos are an ancient family of bootmakers outside of Buenos Aires who are renowned in equestrian circles.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow
bounce2.gif
inlove.gif

That's for sharing that though, it's good to know that it's an easy possibility to order when I get back into riding eventually.

lute

Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Your knowledge is impressive lute

Thank you. I have visited the tannery a number of times over the last thirty years, back to the days when Arnold M. was the manager.
Wonderful people who are justifiably very proud of the quality of their products.

I guess this was that one pair:
http://cgi.ebay.de/John-Lobb-Shell-C...QQcmdZViewItem

No, the pair that the gentleman at Lobb confessed to bodging was a pair of cordovan riding boots, not shoes.
Apparently a very lovely woman had come in to Lobb and ordered and paid for the boots as a gift for her husband. She insisted that the boots be made of cordovan.
I heard via backchannel that the bootmaker at Lobb went about half-mad trying to make those boots.
laugh.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
O M G !!! Those boots are wonderful. Soon the well-travelled shoe aficionado will have to put the Argentines on his "˜Grand Tour'.

lute - I believe everybody would appreciate it, if you could post links to other shoe/boot makers in the Argentines (or Latin America in general).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

Do they find it unrefined?

Hermes customers befriend horses, not wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads