• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple question here. I really like the look of the Norwich in the dark brown. Sort of look like C & J Weymouths. I've never seen any up close, so I'm wondering what the quality of Loake compares to.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No immediate experience, but my impression is that it's a little below Sargent; perhaps around the level of Trickers.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if I go in this direction I may actually just go to Ebay seller English Shoes. I contacted him and he said he could get C & J handgrades for 230 pounds and benchgrade for 140 pounds. For 60 - 70 dollars more than the Loakes, I think it'd be better to go with the Crocketts.

Urbane

Reaction score
I appreciate that the quality of Loake's is not of the same standard as many of the English shoes discussed here.  But they cost significantly less (in the UK around 60-70 pounds).  I have worn Loake's for many years, and they make excellent wet weather/travelling dress shoes.  Their styles are conservative, they are in my opinion well made, and they coordinate well with business attire.  I, for one, recommend them.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that the quality of Loake's is not of the same standard as many of the English shoes discussed here.  But they cost significantly less (in the UK around 60-70 pounds).  I have worn Loake's for many years, and they make excellent wet weather/travelling dress shoes.  Their styles are conservative, they are in my opinion well made, and they coordinate well with business attire.  I, for one, recommend them.
I'm thinking of getting a pair. Cheaper than Kenneth Cole, and the quality/styling looks better. I'm interested in a pair of black captoes, and maybe some sort of nice brown pair...perhaps in a monkstrap. What are the shipping costs like?

raley

Reaction score
I was thinking about some chelsea boots myself... do the 290's look too shiny to you guys? Would that be weird with jeans or should I go for the other (1276 I think?), only downside to those is that they are closer to 200 vs the shinier ones which are closer to 130.

Urbane

Reaction score
Either of the Chelsea boots you mention will look great with jeans, or with more formal pants/trousers.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, you might be able to find Loake's here in the US. A store near me, W.M. Fox on G Street btw. 14th and 15th in Washington, DC, recently told me they are going to start carrying Loake shoes. I haven't heard of other stores carrying them, but if this little men's store has them, others presumably do too -- the Loake website probably has a list of US retailers.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wm. Fox is still in business.? I bought my first beaver felt fedora from them about 12 years ago - they were on M at 18th St. then. Actually the Loake guy gave me his book last week; some look ok, for the money. Kind of stiff though, no?
Mostly corrected grain from what I can tell.

MPS

Reaction score
No immediate experience, but my impression is that it's a little below Sargent; perhaps around the level of Trickers.
Whilst Tricker's make some of the ugliest shoes around, I don't think this is a fair assessment of their quality, which is certainly above that of C & J (standard line).

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rider,

Yes, WM Fox is still in business and seems to be doing quite well too. Frankly, they have some great clothes, but the best part IMO is the guys who run the place (one of whom is named Fox) who are very friendly and knowledgeable. The whole place feels very clubby inside, like you could just hang out there and sip a G&T. I've bought lots of clothes from them though. They have Talbott shirts, Samuelson and Nick Hilton slacks, Bill's khaki's, Samuelson suits/blazers (same company that makes many Paul Stuart suits I understand), Locke hats, Barbour jackets, Dore Dore socks (superb.), and various other doodads -- watch straps, boxers, books, umbrellas, belts (Trafalgar and Talbott). Various golf attire too. Their sales are not to be missed.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually the Loake guy gave me his book last week; some look ok, for the money. Kind of stiff though, no?
You Italian shoe guys are all the same. "English shoes are too stiff. Nyah, nyah, nyah."
wink.gif
Mostly corrected grain from what I can tell.
Well, for the prices of some of the lower-end Loake stuff, it would almost have to be corrected-grain, wouldn't it?

BGW

Reaction score
As far as I know Charles Tyrwhitt shoes are re-branded Loake's.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You Italian shoe guys are all the same. "English shoes are too stiff. Nyah, nyah, nyah."

And I thought you were one of us.

Well, for the prices of some of the lower-end Loake stuff, it would almost have to be corrected-grain, wouldn't it?

No, not really. Besides, I have the wholesale list in front of me and they are not that inexpensive. Of course, the exchange here is pretty bad vs. UK, but still. IMO,you can do better from Spain. Pertini does some real nice Goodyear Welts for the same price as the lower Loake line. They are a little stiff as well, but use a much nicer, analine upper.
Anyway, for the price PLAL charges, they seem to be a good buy. But the US price seems a little high. Just my opinion.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And I thought you were one of us.
I believe in shoe ecumenicalism.
No, not really. Besides, I have the wholesale list in front of me and they are not that inexpensive. Of course, the exchange here is pretty bad vs. UK, but still. IMO,you can do better from Spain. Pertini does some real nice Goodyear Welts for the same price as the lower Loake line. They are a little stiff as well, but use a much nicer, analine upper. Anyway, for the price PLAL charges, they seem to be a good buy. But the US price seems a little high. Just my opinion.
It's sometimes a bit difficult to get excited about lower-end English shoes. In any event, the lower-end Loake stuff on Pediwear go for maybe $130 US, and you usually don't get very good stuff for $130. Obviously, the Loake people think that their product would have more cachet in the US market, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads