• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Versus John Varvatos

Markintosh

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but I'm a shoe junkie, hopelessly addicted to designer labels, high quality, but have wide feet. My latest craze is John Varvatos, he has a pair of Italian aged lace ups that I really want. My problem is that I have wide feet, to compromise, sometimes I buy an 11 instead of my normal 10.5 size. I started looking into designer shoes with widths and discovered English shoes - I'm SMITTEN!!!! Anyway, I found a pair of Loake's that are close to the Varvatos shoes I want. Does anyone care to compare quality between Varvatos and Loakes? (see the images of the shoes I want, the Loake's are about $200, the Varvatos are about $350)

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Varvatos and am very happy. (I assume these are the tire sole desert boots). I LOVE the way they look with just about anything, and they are very comfortable for me. I am a 10 E/EE/EEE (depending on the brand), and can't fit into many Varvatos styles as they are one width (although I have tried - thank God for Zappos free shipping both ways). These are cut wide and are very comfortable.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use the search function on Loake. There is a lot of discussion stored here. I've gathered that it's widely thought that all their shoes run wide, i.e., that the F Loake fits like a US E and the G, like a EEE. But I have no Loakes and my memory is not always so reliable.

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
just on principal, you will learn to stay away from clothiers who make shoes in favor of Shoe makers who make shoes. Even if a high fashion designer outsources shoe to a reputable shoe maker, the designers' style stipulations will usually render the shoe obsolete next year.

Markintosh

Reaction score
I tried on the Varvatos Tire Sole laceups and they fit, if I get them it will have to be an 11, which is a 1/2 size too big - but I really like the style. I'm lucky and have a Varvatos shop at the local Mall (South Coast Plaza) - thank you!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd buy the Loakes... They may not have the same name-brand cahce as the Varvatos, but they make Goodyear-welted shoes that are likely to hold up tolerably well over the years. I own a range of English-made shoes, from Loake to Edward Green, and while the Loakes come out near the bottom of the heap with respect to refinement (c.f. EG or C&J) they are certainly quite well-made. Unless I was sure who Varvatos sub-contracted their manufacturing to, I'd hesitate...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads