• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Pimlico--Chukka's

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
If I look at Herring Shoes, Loake 1880 are 165 GBP and Churchs at least 255 GBP. I don't see where they compete in the same price range.

Discussing Retail price for one company vs. picking up sales from another is absurd. The Americans here buy Allen Edmonds for 100 USD, that's fine, but in Switzerland they are around 500 USD and don't go on sale (Alden in Shell cost you between 700 and 800 USD here. Basically the US brands can't compete with UK on the price point in Europe).

On point. Tricker's could be on sale at Boots for 50 quid and it wouldn't really help most of us.

Plus, it's kind of silly to poo-poo Loakes... they are decent quality by any stretch, on par (for the price point) with say Grenson. I have two 1880 line Loakes (Kempton and Bruford) and am not in a hurry to upgrade.

The AE Malverns look pretty nice, especially the calf leather. If anyone picks up a pair, could you post a review?

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
On point. Tricker's could be on sale at Boots for 50 quid and it wouldn't really help most of us.

Plus, it's kind of silly to poo-poo Loakes... they are decent quality by any stretch, on par (for the price point) with say Grenson. I have two 1880 line Loakes (Kempton and Bruford) and am not in a hurry to upgrade.

The AE Malverns look pretty nice, especially the calf leather. If anyone picks up a pair, could you post a review?

I had a look at the Malverns today and have to say, they don't even touch the Loake's stylewise. The leather is better quality, but they look positively chunky compared to the Pimlico.

BicesterRules

Reaction score
I don't want to badmouth Loake in the sense that I have only started paying attention to shoes in a more serious way recently- so I am happy to admit I am not the best source for historical info

However

I have seen a unprecedented proliferation of Loake shoes in medium-range "high street" shops (that is shops that exist in all towns/cities in the UK offering the same stuff ; for the US folk I reckon high-street=main street, although I assume u know the concept as the US economical model is probably responsible for the demise of local shops)

I can also see them on TKMax, and as rebadged Charlie Tyr. Maybe they are keeping the good stuff away from the naff stuff, but I doubt it. As u know when part of a brand goes down it is because the brand is going down

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BicesterRules
I don’t want to badmouth Loake in the sense that I have only started paying attention to shoes in a more serious way recently- so I am happy to admit I am not the best source for historical info...

I would be reticent about buying anything Loake because at least in the UK they are dropping cheap low quality shoes all over the place- I mean lots of mid-lower tier shoe shops are selling low quality Loakes, and u can find them in TKMaxx (UK version of TJMaxx) which in my mind is never a good thing. When a brand strats going downmarket in some shoes can u trust them to keep it upmarket on other shoes? maybe, maybe not

I would I do that? Loake 1880s are sold at about 185 pounds. I can get Church’s, Tramezzas and a few good Zegnas and Bally Scribes for that +/- 30 pounds in the Bicester Outlet. Hell I got some nice tramezzas for 108 pounds a few months ago.

I am sorry but once I see Loakes on the high street for 70 pounds I stop caring about 1880s or 2040s or whatever- clearly it is not a company targeting the quality market since they allow their name to be stuck on those products. Giving it some kind of iconic number does not change things even if I fully expect them to be better than the 70 pounds ones.

Barker is another one. You can get them pretty cheap on the high street but then you go to Jermyn Street and it is like it is a different company (funny enough they don’t sell Barkers Black– another 1880s kind of scam- in UK shops I know off- seems to be US only)- which may work well for selling to US people who know Jermyn only but doesn’t if you live in the UK

Of course the worse offenders in Jermyn street are TM Levin or Charles T who for some weird reason seem to be popular with the US crowd in this forum, while Pink, whose quality is better is not.

Anyway Jermyn street I believe exists for the sole purpose of ripping off Americans and other business travellers

However

I have seen a unprecedented proliferation of Loake shoes in medium-range “high street” shops (that is shops that exist in all towns/cities in the UK offering the same stuff ; for the US folk I reckon high-street=main street, although I assume u know the concept as the US economical model is probably responsible for the demise of local shops)

I can also see them on TKMax, and as rebadged Charlie Tyr. Maybe they are keeping the good stuff away from the naff stuff, but I doubt it. As u know when part of a brand goes down it is because the brand is going down

We heard/read you the first time
facepalm.gif
... three posts later and it seems like you DO have something against Loake 1880s and the brand as a whole...

Back on topic, these Chukkas look great - I will most likely be purchasing a pair shortly from Pediwear (or similar store) over the C&J Tetbury as the Tetbury are too sleek/chiseled, imho, for intended everyday casual use.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Just ordered the Pimlico in dark brown suede from Pediwear.
inlove.gif
Should arrive in a week or so.

miomall1

Reaction score
I'm probably missing something obvious to the rest of you, but could someone point out the difference between the Loake Kempton and Pimlico to me? Been meaning to give Loake a shot and figured I'd start with a pair of chukkas. Thanks much.

BicesterRules

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
We heard/read you the first time
facepalm.gif
... three posts later and it seems like you DO have something against Loake 1880s and the brand as a whole...

Back on topic, these Chukkas look great - I will most likely be purchasing a pair shortly from Pediwear (or similar store) over the C&J Tetbury as the Tetbury are too sleek/chiseled, imho, for intended everyday casual use.

I have no personal interest in Loake doing well or badly-

do you?

I mean to compare C&J with Loake seems like unfair promotion of Loake- so why are you telling us all this stuff about dilemas that are not there? just sharing?

Next time you will by telling us you cant choose between a 70£ Loake black Loafer and EG black loafer

osc

Reaction score
I have no personal interest in Loake doing well or badly-

do you?

Not at all, but thanks for inquiring.

I mean to compare C&J with Loake seems like unfair promotion of Loake- so why are you telling us all this stuff about dilemas that are not there? just sharing?

Next time you will by telling us you cant choose between a 70£ Loake black Loafer and EG black loafer

How did you know? Which should I choose, Loakes or EGs? As long as the shoe isn't at TKMaxx because that signifies poor brands!
musicboohoo[1].gif

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miomall1
I'm probably missing something obvious to the rest of you, but could someone point out the difference between the Loake Kempton and Pimlico to me? Been meaning to give Loake a shot and figured I'd start with a pair of chukkas. Thanks much.

Different last, so slightly different shape. The Kemptons are the older of the two models and part of their 1880 line, so are probably better built and higher overall quality.

I have the Kempton and am very pleased with them for 45 pounds (ebay score), despite the strange seizing of the package by US customs for 1 month with no explanation
ffffuuuu.gif
I would have second thoughts about paying 135 pounds or whatever they cost new. They're the suede version, and have a nice shape with a sharper toe than some of the pics in this thread suggest. Got a 10 UK, and I had to get insoles to get them to fit like my normal 10.5 US (so maybe go down a full size). Don't really have money to drop serious cash on more shoes... maybe I'll upgrade in a year or two. Don't really wear desert boot styled chukkas out too much.

Cheers to Marcellionheart for feedback on the Malvern.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by miomall1
As meso pointed out, they're on different lasts. I only have the Pimlico, so I can't comment on how they relate to one another. Having said that, if you have wide feet, I'd not recommend the Pimlico. My right foot is noticibly one width bigger than my left and so while the Pimlico's fit my left foot perfectly, I'm having the right boot stretched at a cobbler. Hopefully this will do the job. On the subject of wide feet, chukkas, and Loake, this Navy suede desert boot with a crepe sole caught my eye on Herrings yesterday: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0 I'm thinking spring/summer suede boots for 2011. Definitely on my spring purchase list. And pediwear offers it with Loake club discount and no VAT at almost £100 with shoe trees and free tie.

BicesterRules

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
Not at all, but thanks for inquiring.

How did you know? Which should I choose, Loakes or EGs? As long as the shoe isn't at TKMaxx because that signifies poor brands!
musicboohoo[1].gif

I keep an eye on what is going on the UK high street. Loake's main sale channel has become Clarcks, a chain which mainly sells comfortable but mediocre shoes. Jones (higher on the UK high street food chain) also sells them at barely higher price than their own brand.I also go to tkmax occasionally trying to spot he odd bargain. Of the "classic" Northampton shoes only Loake is available. From my experience Loake is just another UK company going downmarket while living on past laurels for as long as possible, which with guys like u around can be a long time indeed

NamlikeaG6

Reaction score
Noob question, is Loake Pimlico too sleek to wear as a casual boots with jeans? I'm thinking about getting a pair of chukkas to wear with both jeans and chinos for work and running errands on the weekends.

Or maybe the Meermin chukkas would be better for both jeans/chinos? I think the Meermin's might be too round for my liking...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In suede, definitely okay with jeans. In leather, maybe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads