• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Pimlico chukka pics + C&J Tetbury comparison

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Maybe I'm crazy but I really dislike the Tetbury. It's way too elongated and chiseled for a chukka IMO.. And I'm a big fan of C&J and chukkas in general. The Loakes look great though!

I'm sure we're in the minority, but I really dislike the Tetbury too. Too elongnated & dainty for me. I like my boots (even dressier boots) to look a little more.....sturdy?

Groover

Reaction score
The 348 last must be one of the most discussed topics of love/hate on SF, with the exception of gemming of course
deadhorse-a.gif
laugh.gif

Personally, I think certain styles suit the 348 very well, and C&J make some nice styles. However, in my opinion those styles with a plain vamp accentuate the length of the shoe too much.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Groover
Noice boots Kev! Good find there, enjoy them my friend.

Thanks Groove, our friends at Retailtherapy4all at a good price.

The Tetbury's look anything but sleek in those pics, sorry but the 348 looks over elongated in those pics, no offence IBJanky

I cant get away with the 348 last that the Tetbury is made on, it just makes my feet look like a clown
frown.gif
I could get a pair of Oxfords on but the Tetburys just didnt work in my size and when i tried the size above .... well they just looked like winkle pickers!!!
laugh.gif

Again no offence to anyone who has the Tetburys.

As for the "so bulbous i would refuse to wear!" look mentioned ??? I just dont see that at all, both the Brecons and the Mendips look fine to me, it may just be the pictures. They are a boot after all and if my memory serves Trickers Guildford & Winston, Church Ryder, Cheaney Jackie, Barker Westmoreland,C&J Brecon & AS Mendip & Quorn all have that very similar "so bulbous" last.

Trifon

Reaction score
I own Loake Pimlicos in dark brown suede and they are really nice, very sophisticated and elegant and can be worn with anything. I was surpirised how much better they look in real than in the sale photos. I think the Capital last works very well as a chukka boot, a lot better than as a normal lace-up shoe, let alone the awful double monkstrap which I don't remember the name of.

In fact they are superior to Tetbury design wise IMO, although otherwise I prefer the 348 last over the Capital last. Chukka doesn't have to be all that pointy and sleek.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
great pics Myke...I have an eye for the Pimlico as well (same color)

I normally wear 7D US...any thoughts and suggestion on sizing/fit ? UK 6 or 6.5 ?

Thanks......

Is your foot more long than wide or wide than fat?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart

I would say narrow..your average foot..Not sure if this answer your question..Thanks

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
I would say narrow..your average foot..Not sure if this answer your question..Thanks

I'd go with 6UK

myke

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Thanks to everyone for the pics.

I think the Tetbury has a much better, sleeker last. The Pimlico is more bulbous, and the Mendips so bulbous I would refuse to wear.

Although I don't own any of these, the Tetbury is the one that I have my eye on.

I own a pair of Tetburys (UK size 11E) and like them a lot, especially in slushy weather. They got a compliment just last night. I wear them for business casual, whereas I reserve my more "bulbous" Polo MacCallums for wear with jeans, cords and other casual trousers.

The 348 last must be one of the most discussed topics of love/hate on SF, with the exception of gemming of course
deadhorse-a.gif
laugh.gif

Personally, I think certain styles suit the 348 very well, and C&J make some nice styles. However, in my opinion those styles with a plain vamp accentuate the length of the shoe too much.

The C&J Ryton is the Tetbury with a floating medallion. They're rare, but I've seen them on ebay.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
The C&J Ryton is the Tetbury with a floating medallion. They're rare, but I've seen them on ebay.

Oh lord, those Rytons are NICE

im4be912ba02b51.jpg

myke

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Oh lord, those Rytons are NICE myke
Yes, I like the Rytons A LOT, because of both the color and the medallion. I regret passing up a pair in my size on ebay several months back. IIRC, the pair I saw had Dainite soles.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart

Although i wouldnt go against Myke's advice as such can i just say that im a UK6.5 in just about everything inc the Handgrade 337, with the Tetburys they were very tight in the vamp area so much so they just didnt fit
plain.gif
So the comment above is very relevant as its a very slim last the 348.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Although i wouldnt go against Myke's advice as such can i just say that im a UK6.5 in just about everything inc the Handgrade 337, with the Tetburys they were very tight in the vamp area so much so they just didnt fit
plain.gif
So the comment above is very relevant as its a very slim last the 348.

Definitely agree. But, I thought we were talking about the Loake Capital last which runs pretty wide. Mind you, because of my wide feet, I only half-size down for the Capital last, but if you have a narrow foot, I've been told people need to whole-size down.

Ingenieur

Reaction score
Nice comparison with the Tetbury. I'm thinking of getting a pair of Pimlicos, but I'm not sure whether to go for the suede or dark brown calf. Does anyone have any pictures of worn calf Pimlicos?

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Oh lord, those Rytons are NICE

im4be912ba02b51.jpg

myke

That's better, the medallion breaks up the great expanse of vamp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads