1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Loake Pimlico chukka pics + C&J Tetbury comparison

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by IBJanky, Jan 29, 2011.

1. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

So I wanted to get a new pair of chukkas that I can take with me while traveling abroad.

I've always wondered about the Loake Pimlico chukkas, but could never find real life pictures of it. The only pictures I could find were from the store websites.

So I ordered a pair of Pimlicos in dark brown calf from Herring Shoes a few days ago, and they came in the mail today.

Here are some pics, straight out of the box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a pair of C&J Tetbury chukkas in dark brown calf. Here are the side by side comparison (Tetbury on the right, Pimlico on the left):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw, I wear a 12E in the C&Js and a 12F in the Loakes.

The Tetbury has a more chiseled toe than the Pimlico, which gives it a bit of a more sleeker look. Just depends on your preference.

I personally think the Pimlicos look great as well. I would be happy to wear either of these. I just have to give the Pimlicos a good first polish and they'll be good to go [​IMG]

Hope this helps someone out there who was wondering about the same thing.

myke

1 person likes this.
  2. maudac

maudac Member

Thanks Myke, that helps - been looking at the Pimlicos but it's difficult to find decent pictures of the last shape. Enjoy them!

3. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Great pics Myke.....

Been thinking about a Dark Brown Chukka with dainite for some time. The C&J 348 doesnt suit me at all so these Loakes are a runner. Any thoughts on the leather quality in comparison to the Tetburys Myke???

4. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

Great pics Myke.....

Been thinking about a Dark Brown Chukka with dainite for some time. The C&J 348 doesnt suit me at all so these Loakes are a runner. Any thoughts on the leather quality in comparison to the Tetburys Myke???

I'll let you know as soon as I polish them and wear them [​IMG]

myke

5. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

i take the same size and was wondering how a 12E would fit in C&J

can you remember if you found them more snug initially than the loakes? would you consider yourself somewhere between a true 12E and 12F?

6. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

After a quick spit shine, these bad boys are looking like mirrors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try and wear them tonight when I go out. Let y'all know how they compare to the C&Js.

myke

7. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

I've worn my Pimlico's for about 4-5 months now and they crease just like the Tetbury's, just so you know.

8. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

I've worn my Pimlico's for about 4-5 months now and they crease just like the Tetbury's, just so you know.

I embrace the creases. Just part of the aging process [​IMG]

myke

9. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

Really nice. I've also been wanting a pair of dark brown chukkas for a while now. I was hoping to find a good deal on C&J Brecons, but nothing has come up, and I'm a bit unsure how I feel about the pebble grain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Cross Post with Shoe Pron ...

Inspired by this thread i subsequently went out and bought none of the above [​IMG]
    I bought these Alfred Sargent Mendips and i'm chuffed to bits, i tried the Tetburys Brecons et al and decided on these and i have to say im impressed. The leather quality and construction is as good if not better than the C&J which to be honest i'm slightly miffed at having bought 3 pair C&J's recently and not been overly impressed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now just gotta send them to Myke for polishing !!!!!

11. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Maybe I'm crazy but I really dislike the Tetbury. It's way too elongated and chiseled for a chukka IMO.. And I'm a big fan of C&J and chukkas in general. The Loakes look great though!

12. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks to everyone for the pics.

I think the Tetbury has a much better, sleeker last. The Pimlico is more bulbous, and the Mendips so bulbous I would refuse to wear.

Although I don't own any of these, the Tetbury is the one that I have my eye on.

13. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

great pics Myke...I have an eye for the Pimlico as well (same color)

I normally wear 7D US...any thoughts and suggestion on sizing/fit ? UK 6 or 6.5 ?

Thanks......

14. Groover

Groover Senior member

Noice boots Kev! Good find there, enjoy them my friend.

15. Groover

Groover Senior member

Thanks to everyone for the pics.

I think the Tetbury has a much better, sleeker last. The Pimlico is more bulbous, and the Mendips so bulbous I would refuse to wear.

Although I don't own any of these, the Tetbury is the one that I have my eye on.

The Tetbury's look anything but sleek in those pics, sorry but the 348 looks over elongated in those pics, no offence IBJanky

16. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Maybe I'm crazy but I really dislike the Tetbury. It's way too elongated and chiseled for a chukka IMO.. And I'm a big fan of C&J and chukkas in general. The Loakes look great though!

I'm sure we're in the minority, but I really dislike the Tetbury too. Too elongnated & dainty for me. I like my boots (even dressier boots) to look a little more.....sturdy?

17. Groover

Groover Senior member

The 348 last must be one of the most discussed topics of love/hate on SF, with the exception of gemming of course [​IMG] [​IMG]

Personally, I think certain styles suit the 348 very well, and C&J make some nice styles. However, in my opinion those styles with a plain vamp accentuate the length of the shoe too much.

18. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Noice boots Kev! Good find there, enjoy them my friend.

Thanks Groove, our friends at Retailtherapy4all at a good price.

The Tetbury's look anything but sleek in those pics, sorry but the 348 looks over elongated in those pics, no offence IBJanky

I cant get away with the 348 last that the Tetbury is made on, it just makes my feet look like a clown [​IMG] I could get a pair of Oxfords on but the Tetburys just didnt work in my size and when i tried the size above .... well they just looked like winkle pickers!!![​IMG]

Again no offence to anyone who has the Tetburys.

As for the "so bulbous i would refuse to wear!" look mentioned ??? I just dont see that at all, both the Brecons and the Mendips look fine to me, it may just be the pictures. They are a boot after all and if my memory serves Trickers Guildford & Winston, Church Ryder, Cheaney Jackie, Barker Westmoreland,C&J Brecon & AS Mendip & Quorn all have that very similar "so bulbous" last.

19. Trifon

Trifon Well-Known Member

I own Loake Pimlicos in dark brown suede and they are really nice, very sophisticated and elegant and can be worn with anything. I was surpirised how much better they look in real than in the sale photos. I think the Capital last works very well as a chukka boot, a lot better than as a normal lace-up shoe, let alone the awful double monkstrap which I don't remember the name of.

In fact they are superior to Tetbury design wise IMO, although otherwise I prefer the 348 last over the Capital last. Chukka doesn't have to be all that pointy and sleek.

20. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

great pics Myke...I have an eye for the Pimlico as well (same color)

I normally wear 7D US...any thoughts and suggestion on sizing/fit ? UK 6 or 6.5 ?

Thanks......

Is your foot more long than wide or wide than fat?