• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake on Mayfair Last

Star

Reaction score
Does anyone have picks of Loakes on the newer Mayfair last?

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by habituÃ
00a9.png
The last looks elegant but my feet hurt.

Please elaborate! I just purchased the Ritz (Plain toe blucher) in both brown and black in 8UK. I am a consistent 9D US.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore mine only twice, but I confirm that they hurt a bit. I ordered them in 8.5 UK (I wear between 8 and 9UK) and should have ordered them 1/2 size bigger, they seem narrower that other Loake shoes I have.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
I wore mine only twice, but I confirm that they hurt a bit. I ordered them in 8.5 UK (I wear between 8 and 9UK) and should have ordered them 1/2 size bigger, they seem narrower that other Loake shoes I have.

Do you own any C&J on the 337 or 348 last? What size do you wear in those. I hope I did not order incorrectly from Pediwear. The Ritz are only $135.00 on sale.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of CJ on the 337 last, size 9 and they fit perfectly. I might have ordered the Loake in 8.5 because it was the only size available (in the sale/seconds section) and did not bother to return. I hope yours will fit well.

Star

Reaction score
To complete my own thread and to add to the knowledge bank regarding Loake shoes. My Loake Dorchester's in the 1880 line on the Mayfair last size 9.5F UK arrived today. I purchased this shoe as an everyday 'beater' to wear to work. I know Loake are not highly regarded on this forum however in the village I live in of 4 million, I hope it will beat the 90% of fashion forward square toe cement jobs made in China.

Loake_Dorchester_1.jpg

[
Loake_Dorchester_2.jpg

Being a size 9.5F their dimensions are as follows:

Length : 32.5cm
Width : 11.3cm (at the widest point)

The only other decent shoe I have to compare these to are my C&J Lowndes Double Monkstraps which are Size 9.5E. Their dimensions are

Length : 32.5cm
Width : 11cm (at the widest point)

These dimensions at first seem very similar however if you measure the width at the narrowest point where the arch of the foot sits, the difference is significant:

Loake Dorchester (Mayfair Last) 7.5cm vs C&J Lowndes (348 Last) 6.6cm

What this implies (and is obvious when you compare the two shoes) is that the C&J has a far more thinner and sleaker shape. I would best compare the shape of these two shoes by calling the Loake and 'Arsy' BMW 5 series while the C&J last has the lines of a Ferrari or a super car. The other noticeable difference is that the leather on the Loake feels more 'rigid' while the C&J Lowndes leather feals more 'buttery'.

Loake_Dorchester_and_CJ_Lowndes.jpg

Loake Dorchester(Mayfair Last) Vs C&J Lowndes (348 Last)

I have not broken the Loakes or wore them yet properly. They don't feel like they will give me grief. The C&J Lowndes on the 348 on the other hand on my foot has been a true super car experience i.e slick but a hard ride. The length is spot on but slightly tight. I might even go up to a 10E on my next C&J 348.

Conclusion: The Loakes will serve as an excellent everyday 'beater' workshoe that I will not have issue throwing away in a few years if I have too. They suit this purpose of being a regular wearing shoe. The C&J on the other hand is the shoe I would wear when I want my feat to be noticed and when I want my shoes to say something about me. The Loakes would also be a little more sweater if they had punched holes for the toe cap.

My next shoes will probably be another pair of Loakes or Grensons for rotation however I also have a pair of Hallams on the 348 Last on the wish list for non work occassions when I want to be at my best.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dorchester don't look too bad at all - arguably a sleeker look than my EG Chelseas on 202. I've found Loakes leather a bit firm at first, but responds well to plenty of conditioner and cream.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
The Dorchester is actually quite an impressive looking shoe in those photos - something I would be happy to have in my regular rotation. Being calf leather, I would think this would be equivalent to CT's higher-end Loake offerings (at £160). The one in tan would look even better, IMO. Does anyone have a comparable photo?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Star - Thanks so much for the photo comparison. Quite educational. Does anyone have any overhead photos of the other Loake 1880 lasts such as 026, Capital and Legend? Because of their costs (recession special!) I'm considering getting a pair or two for everyday purposes. Thanks!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Star - Thanks so much for the photo comparison. Quite educational. Does anyone have any overhead photos of the other Loake 1880 lasts such as 026, Capital and Legend? Because of their costs (recession special!) I'm considering getting a pair or two for everyday purposes. Thanks!

Not a great photo but these are the Exeter on 026:

loake_exeter1.jpg

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ManofKent!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads