• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Norwich Shoe

Star

Reaction score
I am contemplating a purchase on the Loake Norwich in Burnished Dark brown. Although I was looking for a whole shoe with drilled holes on the toes in dark brown, this one isn't too bad in terms of looks.

If there are any owners of this shoe or other sharp minds I am open to influence and advice. This is an F last like all standard Loakes. The E last is somewhat marginally too narrow on my Crocket and Jones Lowndes however I like the thinner look of them. I am hoping these are not too uninteresting or chuncky.

If anyone also wants to suggest an alternative in the same style and color that represents better value I am open to that. At this point I do not wish to spend the $$ of a Crocket and Jones and I am limited to shopping on Plal or Pediwear since I live in a 'pretty' but 'souless' and 'shoe wildnerness' city called Sydney

Please comment

loa60529_Brown_m.jpg

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
I am contemplating a purchase on the Loake Norwich in Burnished Dark brown. Although I was looking for a whole shoe with drilled holes on the toes in dark brown, this one isn't too bad in terms of looks.

If there are any owners of this shoe or other sharp minds I am open to influence and advice. This is an F last like all standard Loakes. The E last is somewhat marginally too narrow on my Crocket and Jones Lowndes however I like the thinner look of them. I am hoping these are not too uninteresting or chuncky.

If anyone also wants to suggest an alternative in the same style and color that represents better value I am open to that. At this point I do not wish to spend the $$ of a Crocket and Jones and I am limited to shopping on Plal or Pediwear since I live in a 'pretty' but 'souless' and 'shoe wildnerness' city called Sydney

Please comment

loa60529_Brown_m.jpg

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk isn't working, too?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a bunch of Loakes from Pediwear and Herring Shoes and worn them pretty relentlessly for the past few years. They have trees and are all holding up extremely well. I find the pics on those websites terrible and have been pleasantly surprised to find, in reality, they are much sleeker than they appear.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A friend just picked up a pair and I'm thinking of getting them too.

They are from the 1880 line which is Loake's top line, and they are full grain leather to boot.

And as the guys said if you get them from Pediwear you get a pretty good discount on them.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
A friend just picked up a pair and I'm thinking of getting them too.

They are from the 1880 line which is Loake's top line, and they are full grain leather to boot.

And as the guys said if you get them from Pediwear you get a pretty good discount on them.

+1 - I don't think you'll be disappointed. I found that after a couple of pairs Pediwear didn't even bother with the shipping cost. Minus VAT is also a big bonus.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
+1 - I don't think you'll be disappointed. I found that after a couple of pairs Pediwear didn't even bother with the shipping cost. Minus VAT is also a big bonus.

Really?! I've ordered a couple of pairs and have been charged both times! Damnit! ... maybe it will be different when I pick these up ... and your right on the no VAT being a big bonus

from pediwear.co.uk (123GBP ex VAT):

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/788.php

while some guy is selling them for 150GBP on ebay (though he does have a 'best offer' link):

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
just tried to see what the shipping would look like and this is how the order comes out. What is your secret Spectre? ...
norwichpediwearbo1.jpg

Haemus

Reaction score
Norwich is listed in 1829 range, for which I can vouch being top Loake's line is holding fairly well (Durham, last 026 - perhaps rounded chiseled toe in translation) in the course of 3 yrs regular rotation. Norwich is last 029 of which I cannot elaborate, not owning any, though in terms of leather quality should be expected to be on par with other 1829 offerings. In re fitting Loake's F, roughly translates to C&J E fitting. Next Loake's fitting G is definitely wide by any standard.
In terms of fitting from personal experience would offer following grading out of the box:
Slightly snug: EG-E; Just about fine CJ-E, Chrurch's/Grenson-F; Slightly loose on the ball - Tricker's-5/Loake's-F.
Final remarks re Loake's Norwich - having no toe cap is next to wholecut, that in terms to sizing/fit should be slightly off mark from very well fitting bespoke, in order to expect decent appearance after inclusion in rotation.
If buying unseen I'd recommend consideration of Loake's Dorchester (toe cap) on the new Mayfair last, or nondescript last variety of your primary choice - Knightsbridge. Not having Mayfair last from pictures would say it is similar to Church's 108, Grenson 107, EG 82 (very likely, depending on size).
Loake's 1829 range is likely a good starting point in venturing into the depth of present British bootmaking.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he means 1880...

I've only got one pair of Loake - Kempton boots. Leather is decent and finishing isn't bad. They're certainly slimmer looking in the flesh than on Pediwear's site. Quite happy with Pediwear's service.

The Norwich looks very nice, but I do wonder how it will crease.

Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I think he means 1880...

I've only got one pair of Loake - Kempton boots. Leather is decent and finishing isn't bad. They're certainly slimmer looking in the flesh than on Pediwear's site. Quite happy with Pediwear's service.

Good point about the creasing.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago Clifford James had exactly those shoes at really cheap prices. They must have been rebranded Loakes.

Anyway, the leather on the uppers was really nice and supple and the fit was very good.

Haemus

Reaction score
I think he means 1880...

I stand corrected - 1880 what meant. Similarly toe cap suggestion was having creases in mind as compared to capless Norwich.

jjl5000

Reaction score
I think he means 1880...

Loake01.jpg

Loake03.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads