• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake defect?

__PG__

Reaction score
I've had my Loake Aldwych (1880 model) for less than a month. They've been worn about ten times. They have recently been Topy'ed.

Last night I noticed some interesting holes where the upper meets the heel.

Here are the shoes

IMG_4318.jpg

Here are the soles

IMG_4319.jpg

Here are the holes.

IMG_4316.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

What am I looking at here? Has the welt come loose? Does it extend all the way around the shoe?

Or is the upper only welted to the fore-foot and the is the upper glued to the heel?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they seconds by any chance?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed also, it was probably there from the start and you have only just noticed it now. My 2 pairs of 1880 Loakes are nothing like that. I'm sure pediwear will help you out (assuming that's where they are from)

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drainage holes? You've heard how leather breathes.

I suggest sending the pictures to Pediwear or whoever you got them from and ask their advice. Both Herring and Pediwear are pretty good on emails from my experience.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Looks like the shoe was welted, the welt was removed for whatever reason, and the shoe was re-welted.

This

golfbumuk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
No. Bought at full price.

Where did you buy these shoes from? Pediwear? Herring Shoes?

I am currently waiting for a pair of Loake 1880 Aldwych black from Pediwear and if there any problems I will post some pics aswell.

G

__PG__

Reaction score
My cobbler suggested that during the initial punching process to create the holes to stitch the welt to, the operator (or machine?) just went too far.

Herring said that it was an issue from the welting machine.

The shoes were sent back to Herring who sent me back a new pair with a minimum of fuss.

All's Well That Ends Well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics