• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Capital Last vs Carmina Rain or AE 65

Spring Tide

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to get into my first pair of good quality black oxfords.

I have ordered and tired on a Loake Aldwych UK 9F and they are fine except not enough width across the toe area. I have also tried going up to a UK 9.5F which helped somewhat but that feels far too long.

Does anyone know how the Loake Capital Last compares (particular in forefoot width) to the Carmina Rain or Allen Edmonds 65 Park Avenue?

I am a 9 UK (10 US) on Bannock device. And at this stage believe I have a wide forefoot, yet regular (or even lower volume) foot everywhere else. Low instep, narrow heel.

Sorry if this has been covered before, and many thanks for the advice.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own shoes in both the Loake Capital and Carmina Rain lasts in their standard width (7.5F and 7.5EE, respectively). IMO the Capital is a little more roomy all around than the Rain last, so if you find the Capital 9.5F a little snug across the forefoot, you will find Rain 9.5 EE too tight. I don't own any AE shoes but if memory serves me right, I have tried on the Park Avenue and found it a little narrow than Rain.

I believe the Aldwych also comes in a wider G fit, so my first suggestion is to try a 9G in the Capital last since the 9F is a pretty close to a good fit for you. In most cases, going up a half size in length gives you the same increase in width as going up one width (i.e. 9.5 F should be very similar in width to 9 G).

Alternatively, you could try Rain in 9 EEE or Carmina's Detroit last.

Spring Tide

Reaction score
I own shoes in both the Loake Capital and Carmina Rain lasts in their standard width (7.5F and 7.5EE, respectively). IMO the Capital is a little more roomy all around than the Rain last, so if you find the Capital 9.5F a little snug across the forefoot, you will find Rain 9.5 EE too tight. I don't own any AE shoes but if memory serves me right, I have tried on the Park Avenue and found it a little narrow than Rain.

I believe the Aldwych also comes in a wider G fit, so you might want to try UK 9G first. Alternatively, you could try Rain in 9 EEE or Carmina's Detroit last.

Thanks, this is extremely helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads