• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vim147

Reaction score
Just bought these off eBay for £40 inc delivery. Loake Buckingham SZ 7.5
Looks like excellent condition apart from the creases in the vamps. Can that be fixed ?

s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

BXpress

Reaction score
Seems like person who sold it to you has never used shoe trees. I couldn't tell you whether this can be fixed because i always used shoe trees. But i'll just go ahead and say no.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are we supposed to order Loake in the US?

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like excellent condition apart from the creases in the vamps. Can that be fixed ?

View attachment 1171893 View attachment 1171894 View attachment 1171895 View attachment 1171896 View attachment 1171897 View attachment 1171898 View attachment 1171899 View attachment 1171900

The creases don’t look too bad to me.

You can soak the shoe completely immersed in water for about 10 minutes and then leave them to dry with shoe trees inserted. This works as I have tested it before.

I took the shoe trees out after a couple of days to help dry the inside of the shoe.

wdrenth

Reaction score

I think that inserting shoe trees, and applying leather conditioner and polish will undo most of the creasing.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that inserting shoe trees, and applying leather conditioner and polish will undo most of the creasing.

I agree with this: shoe trees and a bit of love and attention should bring these back to life. I have to say , though, that - as secondhand (foot?) shoes, I can't see much wrong with them at all. There is bound to be some creasing across the vamp. I would just call it Patina! I certainly wouldn't do anything radical too them. Consider using Renovateur but please stay away from Renomt, given the generally good condition that these are in. I would suggest that you give them a good brushing, use a small amount of renovateur and brush, use some black cream and some black polish. Small amounts of all of them. Brush, again and perhaps finish with a microfibre cloth.

When your feet are out of the shoes, put shoe trees into them. Also (if you can) rotate the wearing of them with another pair/pairs.

The only other point I would make is that many people on the net suggest that buying pre owned shoes isn't a good plan. Two reasons are often cited: 1) the shes are already moulded into the shape of someone else's feet and that this can cause problems with your own feet and 2) the hygiene issue. With all good wishes, Munky

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, speaking of used, I bought a nice looking pair of Loake cap toes. I understand these are style 724B and are on last 1639.

a) Does this style have a name, or simply the 724B?
b) The Loake last guide indicates that 1639 is an "F" width, but does the "_5" here indicate this one is an "E" width?
c) Any idea on the age of this pair?

IMG_6303.JPG
IMG_6304.JPG

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake fans, I found another fantastic pair of Loake brogues, style 9077 on the 59 last. These have quite a bit of dark polish on them that really gives them a relaxed, vintage feel and highlights the grain of the leather which I think may be elk. Does anybody know what years this sock liner was used? Did it start in 1980 on the centenary of incorporation?
PF1_2450.JPG
PF1_2453.JPG
PF1_2454.JPG
PF1_2458.JPG
PF1_2460.JPG

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1171893 View attachment 1171894 View attachment 1171895 View attachment 1171896 View attachment 1171897 View attachment 1171898 View attachment 1171899 View attachment 1171900

I would just put shoe trees on them and condition the leather. Creases doesn’t look bad at all. J Fitzpatrick has a video on how to take them out but at the nod when you start wearing them, they will crease again. So, I don’t think they look bad.

HeeeresJohnny

Reaction score
Has anyone used Saphir Renovateur cream on a pair of Loake Hydes? I've read that it's a no-no on burnished calf.

colton

Reaction score
I'm having issues with a pair of Loake Badmintons from the 1880 line, and I'd be grateful for the insight of any Loake aficionados.

There's a very hard protrusion in the heel area of the foot bed. I didn't see this when I bought them, but as the foam heel pad wore down, it became very uncomfortable. I took them to a local cobbler, who thought that the shank may have been installed upside down by mistake.

0.jpg

I contacted the store and sent them back to Loake for repair, but when I received them, the issue was still present. The store then asked Loake to send me a new pair. I just received them yesterday and they have the same issue! I'm beginning to think this is just how they're made.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Or is it just a quirk of Loake's style?

tightfist

Reaction score
I can confirm several of my loakes have this same appearance to the insole. I haven't found it to cause any problems with comfort and it only seems to be present in the heel section. I have found the heel insole section to be thinner in loakes than many of my other shoes. In one pair in which the heel insole section wore out I replaced it with a standard "timpsons" heel section insole and you can no longer see any unusual contour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads