• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mark81

Reaction score
I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to finer quality footwear, having spent the last 10 years wearing Dr Martens. Last year I purchased a pair of Bedale boots and the quality difference between them and Docs is incredible and blindingly obvious. Of course, the Bedales are almost twice the price of a pair of Docs so you would expect better materials and build quality. But there are other footwear brands that are twice the price of the Bedale - Trickers etc. As I am new to these brands, can anyone honestly tell me that Trickers (or whoever) are worth double the cost of Loake’s finest? And if so, why?

podz

Reaction score
I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to finer quality footwear, having spent the last 10 years wearing Dr Martens. Last year I purchased a pair of Bedale boots and the quality difference between them and Docs is incredible and blindingly obvious. Of course, the Bedales are almost twice the price of a pair of Docs so you would expect better materials and build quality. But there are other footwear brands that are twice the price of the Bedale - Trickers etc. As I am new to these brands, can anyone honestly tell me that Trickers (or whoever) are worth double the cost of Loake’s finest? And if so, why?

Good question. I think once you get all the quality basics covered, and Loake does this at the low-end of quality shoes pricing, then you reach a point of diminishing returns. I very much doubt that a pair of C&J is worth two pairs of Loakes, but they are _somewhat_ better and for that "somewhat better", you pay a lot more. It works the same way with watches, cars, women, etc :)

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question. I think once you get all the quality basics covered, and Loake does this at the low-end of quality shoes pricing, then you reach a point of diminishing returns. I very much doubt that a pair of C&J is worth two pairs of Loakes, but they are _somewhat_ better and for that "somewhat better", you pay a lot more. It works the same way with watches, cars, women, etc :)

Women :rotflmao:

Swampster

Reaction score
Had a trip to Loake's and Cheaney's factory shops yesterday. Tried on some of the 'heat sealed' soled boots which I was told are Airwear though they only have the Loake branding. They are labelled as 'F' but I found they were a good fit for my 'G' width high instep feet. The soft sole seems particularly comfortable.
I tried the Trimble which has the look of a rambling boot though I don't think they would be ideal for that. I went with the Niro in brown nubuck. They aren't in the 1880 range - unlike the various other Loakes I have - but seem nice enough, especially with about 1/3 off.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Loake Kilmer

Loake Kilmer 1.JPG

ondris

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am looking forme some advice on Loake sizing.

I usually wear 9,5uk Meermin boots, or 44,5eu (10UK) Clarks derbies, and i found a pair of used Loake Chester 2 brogues in 45eu (10,5uk according to their website).

How do you think these Loake brogues would fit?
Will they be really big?

Thank you for your help

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am looking forme some advice on Loake sizing.

I usually wear 9,5uk Meermin boots, or 44,5eu (10UK) Clarks derbies, and i found a pair of used Loake Chester 2 brogues in 45eu (10,5uk according to their website).

How do you think these Loake brogues would fit?
Will they be really big?

Thank you for your help

You have to know your width to buy English brands.

Mark81

Reaction score
Purchased these Hebden boots from my local independent shoe shop for a bargain price. Great boots, very comfortable. Unfortunately quite a few of the eyelets have popped off. I’m not going to take them back to the shop, last pair so I won’t get an exchange and any decent cobbler can sort it easily. Just wondered if anyone else has ever had the same thing happen?
7410186C-292A-47B4-B5F6-712AE255818B.jpeg

Mark81

Reaction score
The only other brands I have are Clarks and Dr Martens. I take 10 in both. When I bought my Bedale boots I didn’t go half a size down as recommended and I’m glad I didn’t. The Bedale 10 is virtually identical to the Dr Martens 10. I also have a pair of Clarks boots in size 11 (i have to wear these with insoles) and they are definitely larger than the Bedale.

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.

Ok i understand, but that being said, i would like to know what size do people usually buy compared to other brands.
I'm not sure about the "know your width" comment. Being overly concerned about the width of shoes appears to be a particularly American thing. I haven't noticed as much of that in the UK or Australia.

The shape of the Last is more important IMHO. Some Lasts are just more narrow than others.

I'd be surprised if you would fit a full size up from your Meermin size.

The Loake Capital Last is often seen as the comparison Last. Here is a comprehensive guide to different Lasts across a few makers - https://www.skoaktiebolaget.com/pages/last-comparisons

I have the following

Crockett & Jones34810UK
Crockett & Jones22410UK
Crockett & Jones36510UK
Crockett & Jones23610UK
Crockett & Jones32510UK
LoakeCapital10UK
Loake Tower9.5UK
Sons of HenreyElegant Round - Storm Welt10UK
Sons of HenreyElegant Round - Flat Welt10UK
RM WilliamsCraftsman - soft chisel10.5UK
RM Williams Gardener - round10UK
Trickers 6038L10UK
CarminaOscar10UK
Edward Green20210.5/11

hope that helps

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by Loake's Trinity model, so when it was available in my size on ebay for cheap, I pulled the trigger. Question now is, what shoe trees do you guys recommend for it/the Tower last? I have a pair of generic shoe trees, but I feel like they don't fit the shoes properly. They fill out the shoe, but almost too much.

Also added comparison pics of the newly acquired Loake mahogany/brown and my Vass gold museum calf for reference if anyone's interested.

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_190404.jpg
    IMG_20230317_190404.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20230318_113644.jpg
    IMG_20230318_113644.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20230318_113648.jpg
    IMG_20230318_113648.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230318_113655.jpg
    IMG_20230318_113655.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20230318_113707.jpg
    IMG_20230318_113707.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20230318_113640_edit_98398523029256.jpg
    IMG_20230318_113640_edit_98398523029256.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Desb4rd

Reaction score
20230326_213311.jpg

L-R: Aldwych, Eden, Fearnley, Leven, Simon, Chatsworth.

Working a stone's throw from Norths outlet, Cambridge, plus a TK's that regular gets an allocation, means more than half my work shoes come from Loake.

Rather mixed feelings across the range. Aldwych & Chatsworth are great, well designed and built classics. Fearnley is good but clearly a cheaper offering. The River last Legacy shoes are a step up in terms of leather and finish but an odd shape - they make the wearer look a bit hen-toed. The Simons are utter clodhopers, 3 years in they're starting to get a bit more pliable (though the stiffness does make them good for long schleps.)

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1926973

L-R: Aldwych, Eden, Fearnley, Leven, Simon, Chatsworth.

Working a stone's throw from Norths outlet, Cambridge, plus a TK's that regular gets an allocation, means more than half my work shoes come from Loake.

Rather mixed feelings across the range. Aldwych & Chatsworth are great, well designed and built classics. Fearnley is good but clearly a cheaper offering. The River last Legacy shoes are a step up in terms of leather and finish but an odd shape - they make the wearer look a bit hen-toed. The Simons are utter clodhopers, 3 years in they're starting to get a bit more pliable (though the stiffness does make them good for long schleps.)

I started my trip in GYW shoes with Loake, mostly Loake for Herrings. I love all my Burford boots the Aldwych and Cannon shoes. The Sprint sneakers are great.

My last pair where some brown chukkas in suede.

IMG_8564.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads