• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with wearing brown Loake loafers in the fall or even winter? What items would you usually wear them with?

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
I like brogues, but something un-brogued is probably more business casual. I also have some Hebdens which are smooth.
All of my Loakes are on the same last - the Pennine - which is wide and has quite a 'country' look. It fits my feet best, so it is just as well that I like the chunky appearance. The 026 last is also a wide fit but the instep is lower and they pinch me, but they have a (slightly) sleeker profile. The preferred look is so down to individual taste that it is hard to recommend a specific boot.
If you don't have wide feet, I wouldn't go for any of the boots on the Pennine last - it is particularly roomy.
Do you have a stockist near you where you can try them?

There is stockist in another town, four hours away from me. I've bought my first two pairs of Loake shoes (brogues and loafers) from them when living in the same town. They are nice and yet not enough for the winter weather. It can be rainy and slushy most of the time here and yet a high snow cover buildup is not a rarity either.

Swampster

Reaction score
There is stockist in another town, four hours away from me. I've bought my first two pairs of Loake shoes (brogues and loafers) from them. They are nice and yet not enough for the winter weather.
What last are they? If they fit well and there are boots on the same last, they should fit and save you a long trip if you can do mail order.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
What last are they? If they fit well and there are boots on the same last, they should fit and save you a long trip if you can do mail order.

Sorry, I'm not as knowlegeable to give you a good answer. Is there a way to figure out the last? Titled on the package maybe?

Last edited:

Swampster

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not as knowlegeable to give you a good answer. Is there a way to figure out the last? Titled on the package maybe?
It should be on the box but is also printed on the inside of the shoe along with the style name and size. If it is unclear (it can be rubbed off with wear) but you can read the style, then a visit to the Loake webiste will tell you.
Some of the lasts are names e.g. 'Pennine' and some are numbers e.g. '026'.
In case you don't know, the last is the form that they build the shoe around. It is another clue for knowing how well the shoe will fit you - I have awkward feet so only some lasts work for me, even though the shoes may be labelled as the same size and width.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
It should be on the box but is also printed on the inside of the shoe along with the style name and size. If it is unclear (it can be rubbed off with wear) but you can read the style, then a visit to the Loake webiste will tell you.
Some of the lasts are names e.g. 'Pennine' and some are numbers e.g. '026'.
In case you don't know, the last is the form that they build the shoe around. It is another clue for knowing how well the shoe will fit you - I have awkward feet so only some lasts work for me, even though the shoes may be labelled as the same size and width.

Think I found it. It's 026 / G fitting for the brogues. Based on the information on the webpage, Sedbergh is the boots model with the same last.

I do still consider Sedbergh, just am not so fond of the black or brown color. Some other boots look more intresting. I'd gladly try oxblood or burgundy tones.

Swampster

Reaction score
The grain on the Sedbergh does add a bit of interest though - I think the brown would get a better look with a bit of wear and polishing.
At least if a 026 fits then you can wear a Pennine, though you might want a thicker sock. For the conditions you want them for, this is probably a good thing anyway.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
The grain on the Sedbergh does add a bit of interest though - I think the brown would get a better look with a bit of wear and polishing.
At least if a 026 fits then you can wear a Pennine, though you might want a thicker sock. For the conditions you want them for, this is probably a good thing anyway.

The Sedbergh ones would be great for the snowy winter, probably. The soles are definitely more suitable compared to some other options. On the other hand, they might be just that - winter boots and may not be utilized in autumn and spring as much. I also got curious abour Oxblood Chukka boots that look more eye catchingnand refined. Would you say chukkas are good for the winter to some extent?

Last edited:

Swampster

Reaction score
The Sedbergh ones would be great for the snowy winter, probably. The soles are definitely more suitable compared to some other options. On the other hand, they might be just that - winter boots and may not be utilized in autumn and sprng as much. I also got curious abour Oxblood Chukka boots that look more eye catchy and refined. Wouls you say chukkas are good for the winter to some extent?
I have yet to find chukkas that fit me, so I don't know. They may not be much advantage over a pair of derby or oxford brogues like the Edward.

Talking of Edward, I have a pair in brown which have developed a nice patina in the last few years, so the brown is worth not writing off.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
I have yet to find chukkas that fit me, so I don't know. They may not be much advantage over a pair of derby or oxford brogues like the Edward.

Talking of Edward, I have a pair in brown which have developed a nice patina in the last few years, so the brown is worth not writing off.

Well, there are different shades of brown that describe the Loake shoe color. Do you mean a pair of Edward that is dark brown like a pair of Sedbergh boots?

Swampster

Reaction score
Well, there are different shades of brown that describe the Loake shoe color. Do you mean a pair of Edward that is dark brown like a pair of Sedbergh boots?
It started off as the same colour but smooth instead of pebblle grain. Polishing and wear have given them a nice patina.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
How do they look like, sir?

The look like this:
6B93FF7F-DE6F-4AFE-B51F-B901BFD5E1C2.jpeg

I'm very happy with them, and they are versatile enough to go with most of my tailored clothes :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads