• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
Would oxblood boots pair well with navy clothes? I have a lot of navy clothes for the cold season.

@Northants bloke, those new ones look cool. I am not sure my eyes have ever seen waxy suede either.

I have a pair of oxblood shoes that I wear with a navy suit. I like them as an alternative colour to black or brown.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
ThatI couldn't speak to easily. I asked for "oxblood" shoes and these were the ones they sold me :)

Would you say oxblood/burgundy boots are more of a statement piece? I'm curious about this because sometimes I would like to wear a sweater that is more loud so to speak.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
Would you say oxblood/burgundy boots are more of a statement piece? I'm curious about this because sometimes I would like to wear a sweater that is more loud so to speak.

For me, I got them because they generally go with a variety of clothes, some of which would want a black shoe and some want a brown. Oxblood works with both, so when I'm travelling for work, I can take one pair instead of two :).

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
For me, I got them because they generally go with a variety of clothes, some of which would want a black shoe and some want a brown. Oxblood works with both, so when I'm travelling for work, I can take one pair instead of two :).

Ok. This is a reasonable argument for oxblood color. What about burgundy? Would it be as versatile?

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
Ok. This is a reasonable argument for oxblood color. What about burgundy? Would it be as versatile?
I would think so. A lot of companies seem to use the names interchangeably. That is to say, if I go in and ask for an oxblood shoe, they take me to one that is actually called "burgundy" on their website.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of Loake boots. The tan Burfords and black Burford (2) can be casual or semi-dressy. The oxblood Roehampton rank amongst my favourite pairs in my collection. Extremely versatile.

FB_IMG_1664420397017.jpg
FB_IMG_1664420430974.jpg
FB_IMG_1664420408110.jpg

Swampster

Reaction score
I have just checked the box for my grain Bedales and they are oxblood, but the colour isn't really any different to the mahogany that they have on the website. The grain and broguing probably also makes them more prone to change colour when polished with anything except neutral - more places for the colour to accumulate compared to a smoother boot.

There is also conker to consider, as on these Glendales https://www.loake.com/product/glendale-conker/
I bought some from the outlet in the summer, so the weather hasn't really suited them yet. I had intended getting something in suede, but was swayed by these :)

Last edited:

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
Glendales look amazing, too. It gets mkre and more tricky to pick one pair when there are so many options! Which Loake boots would be good to wear during snowfall?

Swampster

Reaction score
Glendales look amazing, too. It gets mkre and more tricky to pick one pair when there are so many options! Which Loake boots would be good to wear during snowfall?
I think the sole would have the biggest impact in the snow. The Victory sole on e.g. the Bedale doesn't give as much as the commando sole on the Glendale.
The overall shapes of the Glendale and the Bedale are pretty much the same, but the sole and ski hooks make the Glendale look more rugged which may make it less suitable in many work places.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
I think the sole would have the biggest impact in the snow. The Victory sole on e.g. the Bedale doesn't give as much as the commando sole on the Glendale.
The overall shapes of the Glendale and the Bedale are pretty much the same, but the sole and ski hooks make the Glendale look more rugged which may make it less suitable in many work places.

What would be an option? Oxblood Roehampton ones look great, too. I work in a casual office and while business casual style is encouraged, nobody quite cares to wear thought-through to a T outfits. It's more of a personal preference. I, personally, like the business casual style and would love to embrace it more.

Swampster

Reaction score
I like brogues, but something un-brogued is probably more business casual. I also have some Hebdens which are smooth.
All of my Loakes are on the same last - the Pennine - which is wide and has quite a 'country' look. It fits my feet best, so it is just as well that I like the chunky appearance. The 026 last is also a wide fit but the instep is lower and they pinch me, but they have a (slightly) sleeker profile. The preferred look is so down to individual taste that it is hard to recommend a specific boot.
If you don't have wide feet, I wouldn't go for any of the boots on the Pennine last - it is particularly roomy.
Do you have a stockist near you where you can try them?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads