• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake PIMLICO

751370E3-38FC-4342-B24A-5F0FF7FCF7B6.jpeg

CWL317

Reaction score
Just got my old pair of Loake Edward back from factory refurb.

They are 10+ years old and the leather had aged to a golden yellow patina. When I handed them I asked the shop manager that I didn’t want anything doing to the upper, only resoling. Well, they have refinished the upper to the original mustardy tan (except it’s a bit uneven due to the aged leather). The golden patina developed over 10 years has gone.

The resoling is a good job though.

Strangely, for an 1880 shoe, they have replaced the insole socks with ‘Professional by Loake’ socks. They are more foamy.

This is their third factory repair and it has never happened before - the upper re-finishing, or the use of incorrect socks.

I am not too happy to be honest. 😬

CWL317

Reaction score
Oh and it’s £110 now. It came back in a plain white cardboard box and nothing else.

The first time I had them repaired about 6-7 years ago it was about £65 or £75 as I recall. And it came back in a blue Loake box with Loake polishing cloths and a shoe horn.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am a long-time lurker in this forum and checked this thread quite often for inspiration and news. Like for many of you, Loake shoes were my first pair of dressier Goodyer welted shoes. So far, a pair of 1880 line brown brogues and dark brown loafers grace my collection. I turn 35 this year and am seriously considering expanding my collection with a pair of Loake boots.

The variety of styles, quality and colours is mesmerising and it seems to be difficult to make a choice. Would you mind giving me some tips on finding a pair of boots that would fit business casual/casual style? I wear mostly navy blue and gray garments during the cold season and aspire to dress a little more businessy, but without losing the youthful vibe yet. Chinos, dark wash jeans, a sweater and a few shirts are my go-to items. I live in a smaller urban area in the northern Europe and will probably be traveling to meetings abroad (larger urban areas with similar climate) occassionally. The climate here in winters is not too cold anymore (thanks to proximity to the sea and global warming) and slush is very common on the ground. Some winters may surprise with below 20C temperatures and yet they are more a rarity during recent decades.

Below are some examplaces of boots I strongly consider adding to my mimimalistic shoe collection.:

Loake 1880 Chatsworth Chelsea boots
IMG_2440-e1535912931188-thegem-blog-timeline-large.jpg

Loake Sedbergh
SEDDKG-ANGLE-min-900x1035.jpg

Loake Bedale (tan)
BEDCH-ANGLE-min.jpg

Loake Anglesey
IMG_0088_result_2048x.jpg

What other options could I consider? I am curious mostly about Loake 1880 and tan or burgundy. Brown seems an ok option.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am a long-time lurker in this forum and checked this thread quite often for inspiration and news. Like for many of you, Loake shoes were my first pair of dressier Goodyer welted shoes. So far, a pair of 1880 line brown brogues and dark brown loafers grace my collection. I turn 35 this year and am seriously considering expanding my collection with a pair of Loake boots.

The variety of styles, quality and colours is mesmerising and it seems to be difficult to make a choice. Would you mind giving me some tips on finding a pair of boots that would fit business casual/casual style? I wear mostly navy blue and gray garments during the cold season and aspire to dress a little more businessy, but without losing the youthful vibe yet. Chinos, dark wash jeans, a sweater and a few shirts are my go-to items. I live in a smaller urban area in the northern Europe and will probably be traveling to meetings abroad (larger urban areas with similar climate) occassionally. The climate here in winters is not too cold anymore (thanks to proximity to the sea and global warming) and slush is very common on the ground. Some winters may surprise with below 20C temperatures and yet they are more a rarity during recent decades.

Below are some examplaces of boots I strongly consider adding to my mimimalistic shoe collection.:

Loake 1880 Chatsworth Chelsea boots
View attachment 1837313
Loake Sedbergh
View attachment 1837314
Loake Bedale (tan)
View attachment 1837315
Loake Anglesey
View attachment 1837316
What other options could I consider? I am curious mostly about Loake 1880 and tan or burgundy. Brown seems an ok option.

I have Sedbergh (black but I like the brown) and Bedale (mine are olive suede but brown are available). I would say Bedale sizes quite big but nice and soft. I also have Lytham chukka boots that I think are smart but tougher leather.

I also like Sanders and Cheaney for boots.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
I have Sedbergh (black but I like the brown) and Bedale (mine are olive suede but brown are available). I would say Bedale sizes quite big but nice and soft. I also have Lytham chukka boots that I think are smart but tougher leather.

I also like Sanders and Cheaney for boots.

Thanks for the response. Would you say chukka boots (non-suede leather) are suitable for fall and, possibly, winter? Are there waterprooof and/or insulated chukkas by Loake? I really like how some of them look. There are tons of beautiful chukkas displayed in this thread after all.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Not fully waterproof but pretty versatile in most conditions. It depends what you need them for. I can wear them with cords or chinos and a jacket and tie for work or with jeans at the weekend. Obviously lighter than boots but tougher than Oxford brogues. I also have smoother smart leather chukkas (Cheaney) that I think could easily be worn with a suit. I'm also happy to wear suede in most weathers.
20220224_092114-jpg.1758470

Last edited:

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
Not fully waterproof but pretty versatile in most conditions. It depends what you need them for. I can wear them with cords or chinos and a jacket and tie for work or with jeans at the weekend. Obviously lighter than boots but tougher than Oxford brogues. I also have smoother smart leather chukkas (Cheaney) that I think could easily be worn with a suit. I'm also happy to wear suede in most weathers.

I would wear them for work in the office with chinos or dark wash jeans and a shirt, sweater or a jacket. Some leather chukkas seem rather cool, but I'm not very sure they would be ok to wear in the winter. Slush on the ground is very common here and it can get cold and snowy, too. Innitially, I am looking for a cold season boot that would be versatily to style and have a somewhat elegant look to it.

Jupiter_rain

Reaction score
Sedbergh look nice and so do Roehampton. Would you recommend Roehampton in Oxblood, Dark Brown or Black for versatility and style?

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I haven't seen Roehampton close up but all three could look good. My newest boots are Sanders Craig in dark brown waxy suede.

20220514_225259-jpg.1791878

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads