• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake KEMPTON

B140B9F7-5C81-4CCF-984D-DF5014E27C30.jpeg

aabbcc

Reaction score
So last time I bought a pair of Loake 1880 was 14 years ago, a lot seems to have happened since in terms of their ranges.

I got a great deal on a pair of Loake Birkdale (1880 Legacy). How does the 1880 legacy line compare to the 1880 line, whats the actual differences? I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Carmina in a similair style but they are more than twice the discounted price I'm getting on the Loakes.

Afaik in terms of quality:

Loake 1880 Expert Grade
Loake 1880 Legacy
Loake 1880

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time posting here. I'm interested in a few pairs of Loake boots (Sedbergh, Bedale, Hebden) all on the Pennine last. I've done a lot of my own reading on the internet but hope to nail down sizing with the experts here.

I only have one pair of Loake Laxford in 8.5F. For most US and Canadian brand boots (Red Wing, Chippewa, WM Moorby, and Allen Edmonds), I wear between 8.5EE to 8.5EEE, depending on the last of course.

For the above Loake boots, if I am reading it right, I should buy 8G? Or should I size down to 7.5G?

Unfortunately, the closest store is about a 2 hour drive. And being in Canada, the risk of buying online and getting the wrong size, would be very costly. Spousal customs is already on high alert. So anything that gets past her, has to fit.

I would appreciate any assistance in this regard.

adspainy

Reaction score
First time posting here. I'm interested in a few pairs of Loake boots (Sedbergh, Bedale, Hebden) all on the Pennine last. I've done a lot of my own reading on the internet but hope to nail down sizing with the experts here.

I only have one pair of Loake Laxford in 8.5F. For most US and Canadian brand boots (Red Wing, Chippewa, WM Moorby, and Allen Edmonds), I wear between 8.5EE to 8.5EEE, depending on the last of course.

For the above Loake boots, if I am reading it right, I should buy 8G? Or should I size down to 7.5G?

Unfortunately, the closest store is about a 2 hour drive. And being in Canada, the risk of buying online and getting the wrong size, would be very costly. Spousal customs is already on high alert. So anything that gets past her, has to fit.

I would appreciate any assistance in this regard.
I’m a UK 11 in most shoes. Adidas Ultraboost, any Nikes, Vejas, meermin etc. English dress shoes are always have a size too big so I’m a perfect 10.5UK in all 1880 range. Red wing iron rangers I wore a 10UK as recommended to full size down. Either way, I would suggest you half size down from whatever your normal size is so 8G. You’ll want thicker socks with those boots in Canada.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I wear usa 9.0D, if I get Jones Model Matrix Lasted UK8, should that be good?
I haven't tried the Matrix last, as I prefer Loake's 1880 range and up (1880 Legacy and Export Grade) for their superior quality, not the Shoemakers one, so I can't tell you for sure. However, size 8 UK might be OK, I would downsize to 7.5 UK *only* if you have quite slim feet.

According to their website description:

Matrix is used within our Shoemaker range to give a contemporary twist to classic formal shoes, such as the Smith toe cap Oxford or the Jones brogue. Matrix has an elongated toe shape with a rounded point. This last generally runs true to size and is comparable to our traditional F fitting last shapes in terms of fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads