• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vim147

Reaction score
Is there anything you do/use to protect leather shoes from rain ?
I have a pair a light tan Loake Burfords which i dropped some droplets of water onto it to test them and it penetrated the leather but it didn't leave water marks when it dried.

Am worried that if i get caught out in the rain, it leave stains and i'l have a nightmare of cleaning them etc.

Is there a spray product to use on these leathers similar to suede protector ?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black suede CHATSWORTH

aa66924f-28ab-4a5f-8b8d-9e6ff76f930e-jpeg.1518879

f18eea2a-c529-400c-b88d-85f5d973bf64-jpeg.1518880

CWL317

Reaction score
Hello ?
Just want to share my Loake Torrington wingtips. I’ve had them for a while now but still not yet worn them - probably wait till springtime when the weather is more conducive to leather soles.

It is 1880 Export Grade which is supposedly Loake’s best class. It came with a pre-shined toe, I haven’t polished or done anything to it yet. I don’t think the leather is quite as good as C&J handgrades or the likes of EG, and the open channel outsoles doesn’t quite elevate it to the level of those. I’d place it as competing with the likes of Cheaney or even C&J benchgrade, with a very good quality/price ratio.

This pair is in conker brown ? which looks more reddish burgundy. I think it could be a surprisingly versatile color, and quite similar to my C&J Finsbury chestnut.

It comes with flat laces, but I prefer waxed round laces, so have swapped them out and I think it looks nicer.

1858CAC4-B0CA-4A81-9234-D44FC907C4FD.jpeg

Lucan

Reaction score
To UK members, Debenhams have plenty of Loake at half price as part of their closing down sale. Includes several 1880 models.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
To UK members, Debenhams have plenty of Loake at half price as part of their closing down sale. Includes several 1880 models.
good even when sometimes they pop up on tk maxx for 80£?

Lucan

Reaction score
good even when sometimes they pop up on tk maxx for 80£?

The ones at TK Maxx for £80 tend to be Loake Design. The 1880s at TK Maxx are usually £99. Just depends on the style you want and your patience.

From Debenhams I've ordered Anglesey boots, Pimlico chukkas and Wensum monk straps all in brown. There is a plan to return one and keep two, but depends how nice they are.... ;)

Rimaarts

Reaction score
really? I could have sworn 2 years ago I got kemptons for 120 and split toes for 80... after that I realised I don't prefer loake lasts...

Desb4rd

Reaction score
really? I could have sworn 2 years ago I got kemptons for 120 and split toes for 80... after that I realised I don't prefer loake lasts...

TK premium brand shoes pricing policy seems entirely based on brand. Loake/Barker shoes are c. £100 regardless, boots a bit more and Cheaney/Trickers attract c. £140. If a style lingers on the shelf they knock £20 off and hope that it moves.

In-brand ranges don't seem to figure at all, so while pair of 1880s is excellent value a pair of book-binder L1's is scarcely discounted at all.

Last edited:

Ukzajames

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, Debenhams UK is having 50% sale on Loake. I've managed to buy a pair of Birkdales and a pair of Evans both at 50% off.

Edit: looks like someone has already mentioned it!

tightfist

Reaction score
Debenhams in store discount for loakes now at 60% and they had a better range in store than online. Picked up a pair of and chesters and wortons today. Really glad to find the Wortons as I previously had them as my beaters for years until resoling became uneconomical.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debenhams in store discount for loakes now at 60% and they had a better range in store than online. Picked up a pair of and chesters and wortons today. Really glad to find the Wortons as I previously had them as my beaters for years until resoling became uneconomical.

Shame I’m not going to get a chance to get to a store, would be good to see what they have.

I got a pair of the sprint sneakers in hand painted tan for £55 and they are very nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads