• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Seeker

Reaction score
A comparison with the River last would be quite useful. My experience with it was that a 10.5 on River is like an 11 on Capital.
Hi BXpress - below is a side by side between the Lytham (Bullet) and the Avon (River) - I took the wrong boot off, sorry, but the Bullet and Capital are largely comparable.

The Avon is more angular and slightly tighter around the little toe area but being suede, there is some give there anyway. Both are size 10 and are the ideal fit, so would be confident to recommend the same size in both lasts, but...
...there is a level of adjustment in the Avon (River), so with thinner socks, I could get away with a 9.5, so I do get your comment v the Capital last. For me, it would come down to whether the shoe/boot you are considering is lace up or not, and whether you’d be wearing thin or thick(er) socks.

Attachments

• 2EABB561-FDA0-4EED-B429-281CBD153328.jpeg
    2EABB561-FDA0-4EED-B429-281CBD153328.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 208

The Seeker

Reaction score
Very interesting question Mercurio...
I only unboxed the Lytham’s yesterday evening, so haven‘t looked them over with a critical eye just yet.
My thoughts, having briefly had them lined up against the Anglesey, for instance, is that the leather is exactly the same - but that may just be because they are both Oxblood Grain.
What I would say, is that the finish on the (suede) Avon and especially the (suede) Anson was very good, to my eye - certainly no complaints at the price point.
Were they considerably different to the 1880’s? Probably not. Could I have picked out the more expensive of the two? Possibly - I like to think so...but then the RRP differential is not huge.

CWL317

Reaction score
Hello ? these are my Aldwych which I bought a a few years ago. I see that Loake now only sell it in black, dark brown, and mahogany. I wonder why they discontinued the tan, was it not popular?

I haven’t worn them but plan to rotate it with another captoe oxford, in dark brown, that I bought recently (C&J Audley). I think the Aldwych leather seems to compare well with the Audley, but the bright tan is more casual. I’ve given it a very slight toe burnish. ?
E9515C7E-7F9B-41E9-B3B4-C54FE860E3CD.jpeg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello ? these are my Aldwych which I bought a a few years ago. I see that Loake now only sell it in black, dark brown, and mahogany. I wonder why they discontinued the tan, was it not popular?

I haven’t worn them but plan to rotate it with another captoe oxford, in dark brown, that I bought recently (C&J Audley). I think the Aldwych leather seems to compare well with the Audley, but the bright tan is more casual. I’ve given it a very slight toe burnish. ? View attachment 1466234

Those look great.

Maybe Loake is nos offering tan because the mahogany is more versatile and can be used with darker suits. The Aldwych is a great model, I own them in datk brown.

CWL317

Reaction score
Those look great.

Maybe Loake is nos offering tan because the mahogany is more versatile and can be used with darker suits. The Aldwych is a great model, I own them in datk brown.

Yes I think you’re right ? I would choose mahogany if it was available then - it is more understated. And dark brown is versatile too for casual or business. But the tan works well for casual.

Desb4rd

Reaction score
New pair of 1880 Legacy Eden’s – something rubber soled for the winter. I was a bit worried about the size of the River last and it it quite generous - but the difference isn't anything that a thin additional insole won't fix.

Also picked up a pair of Leven (River last, split-toe) loafers which make nice looking office slippers.

Wicked Witch of the West:
River.jpg

In both cases they’re seconds –the Leven’s I can’t tell why, maybe it’s just that they’re discontinued. The Eden’s have an untidy welt-meeting but that’s it. Time will tell if there are any other gremlins - but having paid £99 per pair I won’t be in a position to complain - they even came in the proper boxes with bags and spare laces (TK Maxx are hit-and-miss on things like this.)

Evergreen88

Reaction score
New pair of 1880 Legacy Eden’s – something rubber soled for the winter. I was a bit worried about the size of the River last and it it quite generous - but the difference isn't anything that a thin additional insole won't fix.

Also picked up a pair of Leven (River last, split-toe) loafers which make nice looking office slippers.

Wicked Witch of the West:
View attachment 1481265
In both cases they’re seconds –the Leven’s I can’t tell why, maybe it’s just that they’re discontinued. The Eden’s have an untidy welt-meeting but that’s it. Time will tell if there are any other gremlins - but having paid £99 per pair I won’t be in a position to complain - they even came in the proper boxes with bags and spare laces (TK Maxx are hit-and-miss on things like this.)

Very nice shoes, for 99£ it's incredible value! I have one pair from the legacy line (Laxford) and I am quite happy with it.

vim147

Reaction score
I bought a pair of used Charles Tyrwhitt suede brogues from eBay which are made in England. They normally retail for £220. Am trying to find out who actually made them. My suspicion is that it was Loake as they look and fit exactly like my Buckinghams but could also have been Barkers. I very much doubt it was Crockett & Jones or Churchs due to its price.

Any ideas ?

20201023_222050.jpg
20201023_222100.jpg
20201023_222107.jpg
20201023_222114.jpg
20201023_222126.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of used Charles Tyrwhitt suede brogues from eBay which are made in England. They normally retail for £220. Am trying to find out who actually made them. My suspicion is that it was Loake as they look and fit exactly like my Buckinghams but could also have been Barkers. I very much doubt it was Crockett & Jones or Churchs due to its price.

Any ideas ?

View attachment 1483147 View attachment 1483148 View attachment 1483149 View attachment 1483150 View attachment 1483151

Even though the next Reddit post is from five years ago, it can give some light on the question:

Another answer, this time posted at Quora:

Last edited:

vim147

Reaction score

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive just noticed its printed 026/F on the inside which is a Loake last. Either way I cant complain for £25 delivered.
Excellent, enjoy them with health.

I have the Loake Kempton and the Herring Gosforth II and Geoge boots built on the Loake 026 last, that is quite comfortable for my feet.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Browsing the Loake Web page, I found some good news from the brand: they decided to sell and ship directly their products. Even though the only countries served at present are the USA and Canada, more will come shortly. I hope their factory outlet will be included.

I still can get their boots and shoes from some British and European retailers, but many of the new models aren't available. I look forward to shopping directly with Loake although this will mean that some of their traditional retailers are going to lose customers.

International delivery by Loake.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads