• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really like those. How does the quality compare with 1880? I have seen older Loake shoemaker range shoes and thought they looked similar standard to 1880.

Hello, this specific shoe was a surprice due to the quality and looks (for the price paid). I don't have anything in suede from the 1880 range to compare with, but I can highly recommend them.

For your reference I use Church's 173, Loake Capital, Cheaney 125 / 130 and Alfred Sargent 87 lasts.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How comfortable are they?

I've been tempted by that model but I've got a pair of Loake boots made for Herring, and while they're pretty alright overall as for the finishing, the comfort is awful compared to C&J and Vass.

This shoe is very comfortable (for my feet), and the ratio quality/price is very high. Certainly C&J or Vass are in another league and are 3 o 4 times the price. For your reference I use Church's 173, Loake Capital, Cheaney 125 / 130 and Alfred Sargent 87 lasts.

I hope this information helps.

Camerashy

Reaction score
Is the 3625 Last true to size only with the Bullet Last I’m finding my normal UK 10 size is too big.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brand: Herrings
Model: Northfields
Manufacturer: Loake
Last: 3625
Colour: Snuff
Sole: Dainite, 270 welt

Note: A very nice longwing made by Loake for Herrings, snuff suede is great, I just wish a 360 welt. Great to use with jeans and chinos.

IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello there! Can anyone please comment the tower last. Do you take the same size as your Capital size and if Capital fits well, do you think the Tower would work well? Thank you.

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
Hello there! Can anyone please comment the tower last. Do you take the same size as your Capital size and if Capital fits well, do you think the Tower would work well? Thank you.
I have Hyde boots on the Capital and just bought a pair of Hanover cap toes on the Tower. In the Capital I'm a 10UK but I went down to 9.5UK for the Tower.

I'm not sure if it was the move from boots to shoes or the change of last that made the size difference. Sorry if this isn't all that helpful.

I'm also a 10UK in CJ 348 and 238 lasts if that helps.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the input. I do size usually size up 0.5 for boots in general. I also did some other research and think the same size will work for me.

CWL317

Reaction score
Old & New... ?

I bought these two pairs of Loake Edward at the same time about 8 years ago.

The < pair was a spare, kept in a box, unworn, as new.

The > pair has been worn almost daily over the years and been factory resoled twice. I like how the leather has aged to a glowing light tan and I think it has gained character. I’m very fond of it, it’s like an old friend.

Now I need to start wearing the ‘new’ pair and make friends with it.

229F4C51-CB75-4B6F-86AA-C1B7F9F4A61D.jpeg

vim147

Reaction score
For those of you who own light tanned shoes i.e Loake Chesters, What is your polishing routine ?

I have a pair of Chesters that i haven't polished yet. Am a bit worried on using Saphir Renovateur to condition incase it darkens them too much (I like that orangey/tanned colour).

Would i just be better off using light brown Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish then a neutral Saphir Pate de Luxe ?
Or just use neutral Saphir Pate de Luxe on its own?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old & New... ?

I bought these two pairs of Loake Edward at the same time about 8 years ago.

The < pair was a spare, kept in a box, unworn, as new.

The > pair has been worn almost daily over the years and been factory resoled twice. I like how the leather has aged to a glowing light tan and I think it has gained character. I’m very fond of it, it’s like an old friend.

Now I need to start wearing the ‘new’ pair and make friends with it.

View attachment 1388629

Great post, I love seeing well worn shoes/boots. They’ve served you well.

Do you apply wax mainly to the toe area? Just looks a lot darker than vamp.

you could start wearing the new pair and that should prolong the old pair. These are one of my father in laws favourite shoes and rarely off his feet! Finds them more comfortable than his Chesters.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who own light tanned shoes i.e Loake Chesters, What is your polishing routine ?

I have a pair of Chesters that i haven't polished yet. Am a bit worried on using Saphir Renovateur to condition incase it darkens them too much (I like that orangey/tanned colour).

Would i just be better off using light brown Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish then a neutral Saphir Pate de Luxe ?
Or just use neutral Saphir Pate de Luxe on its own?

Renovateur may remove any burnishing that was applied at the factory. I would just use a pommadier cream in either neutral to develop a natural patina, similar shade to the shoe or a touch darker if you want the colour to deepen over time.

I often alternate colours.

a bit of wax on toes and heels doesn’t harm either.

Renovateur shouldn’t darken them if used sparingly. More likely to lighten them actually as it removes some polish. I personally only use it occasionally but it is good stuff.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Renovateur may remove any burnishing that was applied at the factory. I would just use a pommadier cream in either neutral to develop a natural patina, similar shade to the shoe or a touch darker if you want the colour to deepen over time.

Renovateur shouldn’t darken them if used sparingly. More likely to lighten them actually as it removes some polish. I personally only use it occasionally but it is good stuff.
+1 on neutral pommadier, and light brown pommadier if needed because of stains/scratches.

And I really like the Saphir Nappa leather balm instead of Renovateur...

vim147

Reaction score

Can i cheap out and use Saphir Beaute du Cuir in neutral instead of Pommadier ? It's nearly half the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads