• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staffer18283

Reaction score
^^ ae leather quality seems some what superior than loake.

Agreed - its difficult to tell the difference at the start but over a period of time, the AE leather seems to hold up better. Loake has somewhat more attractive lasts though.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just bought my second pair of Loakes. My first were their excellent Chesters and the new ones are burgundy Strands. The latter have a wonderful colour and shape. Beautiful shoes. Just three observations.

1. I found that I was a UK 8.5 in the Strands. I have other shoes that are 9' and 10's.
2. I decided to use a very thin layer of Collonil Creme de Luxe, before I went out in the Strands. I was surprised how dirty the cloth was after I had gently buffed them. I have read that shoes can get dusty in the warehouses in which they are stored. I plan to do a quick buffing with any other new shoes I buy.
3. All my shoes (with the exception of one pair), need an arch support in them. This includes the Chesters and Strands. However, a cheap pair of medallion shoes from Samuel Windsor, fit perfectly, without shoe supports. These shoes are something of an enigma. They are always offered at a 'sale' price of about £40, 'reduced from £100'. I have never seen them offered fot £100. However, they are made of calf leather and are Goodyear welted. They are probably the most comfortable shoes I have worm. With the use of a range of brown creams, I have reduced their rather bilious tan to a much more attractive brown.

Any comments on these points would be welcome. Sorry if some of these points have already been addressed; I tried, but failed, to read through the whole of the thread.

Odradek

Reaction score

I've just bought my second pair of Loakes. My first were their excellent Chesters and the new ones are burgundy Strands. The latter have a wonderful colour and shape. Beautiful shoes.  Just three observations.

1. I found that I was a UK 8.5 in the Strands. I have other shoes that are 9' and 10's.
2. I decided to use a very thin layer of Collonil Creme de Luxe, before I went out in the Strands. I was surprised how dirty the cloth was after I had gently buffed them. I have read that shoes can get dusty in the warehouses in which they are stored. I plan to do a quick buffing with any other new shoes I buy.
3. All my shoes (with the exception of one pair), need an arch support in them. This includes the Chesters and Strands. However, a cheap pair of medallion shoes from Samuel Windsor, fit perfectly, without shoe supports. These shoes are something of an enigma. They are always offered at a 'sale' price of about £40, 'reduced from £100'. I have never seen them offered fot £100. However, they are made of calf leather and are Goodyear welted. They are probably the most comfortable shoes I have worm. With the use of a range of brown creams, I have reduced their rather bilious tan to a much more attractive brown. 

Any comments on these points would be welcome. Sorry if some of these points have already been addressed; I tried, but failed, to read through the whole of the thread. 

I too have burgundy Strands, and though I wear a 7 in the Capitol last, and other UK shoes, when it comes to American sizes, I take an 8.5D for my MacNeils and Sheltons.
I also used Colonil on my Strands prior to wearing them the first time, but didn't notice any dust issue.

I'm curious about the Samuel Windsor shoes as I've often see them advertised at incredibly reasonable prices. Might be worth a gamble if they are as good as you say.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha Wurger, I take your point! Perhaps my pair were on display, somewhere and got dusty. It was definitely dust that came off, though and not colour.

Odradek, although Samuel Windsor don't make high end shoes, the ones I have fit very well and are very comfortable. They are definitely made of calf leather and not corrected grain. I e-mail them about this and they confirmed that they didn't use CG. I did the 'scratch test' (calf will scratch if you use your finger nail on a reasonably hidden part of the shoe; corrected grain won't scratch. Finally, they do absorb shoe cream, which corrected grain wouldn't. Finally, they really are Goodyear welted.

The Samuel Windsor shoes have a price tag on the sole - £110, despite their always been sold c £40. My wife thinks they stick these labels on just before dispatch!

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I too have burgundy Strands, and though I wear a 7 in the Capitol last, and other UK shoes, when it comes to American sizes, I take an 8.5D for my MacNeils and Sheltons.
I also used Colonil on my Strands prior to wearing them the first time, but didn't notice any dust issue.

I'm curious about the Samuel Windsor shoes as I've often see them advertised at incredibly reasonable prices. Might be worth a gamble if they are as good as you say.

Woah. You size down 1.5 from AE to loake? I thought sizing down 1 was plenty! Although I haven't yet walked in the shoes they seemed to fit okay just putting them on.

Did anyone else have the experience of sizing down more than 1 size?
^^ ae leather quality seems some what superior than loake.

Agreed - its difficult to tell the difference at the start but over a period of time, the AE leather seems to hold up better. Loake has somewhat more attractive lasts though.

Really? Hm... Now I'm second guessing my decision to buy these shoes over the Mora 2.0 seconds. Mine are suede though and I'd been looking for suede cap toe double monks for a while. AE used to have some but doesn't right now.

I guess suede is a different animal though, so I'd be slightly less concerned about the upper quality right? It doesn't crease like calf does.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. I'm in England. I size up for American shoes.

Same thing haha. I was just surprised that you found you needed to go up more than 1 size from UK to US shoe size. I think 1 size difference is what I usually hear!

Odradek

Reaction score

Same thing haha. I was just surprised that you found you needed to go up more than 1 size from UK to US shoe size. I think 1 size difference is what I usually hear!

Yes, it surprises me too.
Have a pair of AE Quinton on the 8 last in a US size 8D, but they are only wearable after I had them stretched.

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
I have around 6 pairs of Loakes ranging from their brand of desert boots to their Rome moccasins and some discontinued lines. They're excellent value mid range shoes which will last years

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From reading through this thread, I am beginning to believe that the burgundy Strands are Loake's best shoes.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you happy with your Cannons?

I was waiting to hear back from Gilt about the issue before wearing them at all to be honest.

Edit: They have another pair and they'll swap them for me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasu62