• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swampster

Reaction score
I have been eyeballing some Loake boots, the Roehampton and the Bedale. Of the two I can see the Roehampton with a suit but could you wear the bedale with a suit in the oxblood grain leather fully polished? Would love some input.

I have that Bedale. I really like them but I wouldn't wear them with a suit. The Pennine is also a very roomy last, so probably isn't going to be a good fit if you could also wear the F fit of the Roehampton.

dlazaros

Reaction score
I have that Bedale. I really like them but I wouldn't wear them with a suit. The Pennine is also a very roomy last, so probably isn't going to be a good fit if you could also wear the F fit of the Roehampton.
Thank you. I have seen the Roehampton in black and it works for the kind of outfits I have. The only thing is that I really like the oxblood grain leather so I may veer that way and if the color doesn't work go the sapphire teinture route to black.

Swampster

Reaction score
The oxblood grain is very nice and after only about a year it is getting even better.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you are polite and helpful let me explain. I currently work in a corporate setting, sales, with a lot of out and about responsibility. I have owned shoes by Charles Tyrwhitt like the attached brogue boot. A while ago they were made by Loake but now I don't know who the current manufacturer is so I am looking for options. I do not wear shoes, never have, never will. I am the type of man that likes his ankle's covered. So I venture into the Chukka and ankle boot territory to find a versatile boot that I can wear with a suit but not in a formal setting that can even work when wearing pants and jacket without a tie. :)
I think what @Braid is saying that for suits, typically a balmoral boot is what would be 'traditional' to match it with. The boots you have up would be fine with slacks and a sports jacket; depending on your work environment and personal style, you can use those boots you put up. However, as previously mentioned, the pebble grain, storm welt, and last shapes lend it to more casual outfits (which I think is that you're looking for).

Northants bloke

Reaction score
20220224_092114.jpg

Today's Loakiness. Lytham chukkas. ?

fred2306

Reaction score
Dear all,

Since I got my first pair of Goodyear welted boots I added a couple more pairs...I got another pair ok Loakes as well as two pairs of C&J...I like all of them though I probably have worn the dark pair of Loake chukka boots most overall, they fit like a glove...
IMG_0302 copy.jpg
Why I am actually writing is the heel lining in the above described pair of boot which seems to have gotten worn through...not that I wouldn't have experienced this on a pair of cheaper shoes, I am surprised that I would wear the leather lining through:

IMG_0301 copy.jpg
Is this common? Did I maybe buy the shoes too large? Is it worth repairing? In case it is worth repairing do you also think it is worth changing the soles for Dainite ones even they aren't end-of-life yet?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

EDIT: I actually wanted to quote my previous post (Post #3,350 in this thread) though I did not manage to do so with the forum tool.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dear all,

Since I got my first pair of Goodyear welted boots I added a couple more pairs...I got another pair ok Loakes as well as two pairs of C&J...I like all of them though I probably have worn the dark pair of Loake chukka boots most overall, they fit like a glove...
View attachment 1759180
Why I am actually writing is the heel lining in the above described pair of boot which seems to have gotten worn through...not that I wouldn't have experienced this on a pair of cheaper shoes, I am surprised that I would wear the leather lining through:

View attachment 1759181
Is this common? Did I maybe buy the shoes too large? Is it worth repairing? In case it is worth repairing do you also think it is worth changing the soles for Dainite ones even they aren't end-of-life yet?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

EDIT: I actually wanted to quote my previous post (Post #3,350 in this thread) though I did not manage to do so with the forum tool.

It’s more a question of fit than quality. If the shoes are a bit too large the user will wear on the heel lining. Definitely worth repairing.

fred2306

Reaction score
It’s more a question of fit than quality. If the shoes are a bit too large the user will wear on the heel lining. Definitely worth repairing.

Thanks for your input. I think so too. I will check if Loake can take care of this or try to find a suitable cobbler.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake Burford 2. The previous owner had lug half soles installed, which make them perfect for the winter.

Mad Dog paracord Laces for most of my boots.

20220312_102916.jpg
20220312_102906.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads