1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

LOAKE APPRECIATION THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Knox Harrington

Knox Harrington New Member

Couple of shots of my angleseys. Could do with a little polish but I ran out of the house for work this morning.

IMG_7128.jpg

IMG_7129.jpg

2. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Nice combo. And digging the matching with the cord jacket.

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Thanks mate - very kind.

4. Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Wild Strawberry Rabbit Senior Member

The only reason I’m still trying to break in these Tauntons is that I really like their look... two years old and the heel is as stiff as it was when they were new. Even Meermins and JM Weston Demi Chasse were much easier to break in :(
    5E9A1372-8449-4534-8D5A-82F7267666AB.jpeg

5. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior Member

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-20 at 10.44.38.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-01-20 at 10.44.49.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-01-20 at 10.45.00.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-01-20 at 10.45.10.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-01-20 at 10.45.20.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-01-20 at 10.45.29.jpeg I purchased a pair of Loake Avon from the Legacy range in 10.5 UK which is my standard size. Loake's Capital last is the one the fits me better, the Avon are monted in the River last that is a tad longer than the Capital and you might consider down sizing half if your feet are slim. The shoes are amazing, I purchased the black ones as an alternative to oxfords but once they arrived I bought the brown; they had a 30% discount in Herring's Winter Sale. The leather is very soft and I feel is of better quality of the "standard" 1800 range. Herring's service as always on top.

6. EUtroll

EUtroll Senior Member

Great looking model!

7. Harba

Harba New Member

Hello guys,

new to the forum and a recent Loake enthusiast. Started with a bang and got myself the Aldwych in black and the Hyde boots in dark brown. Also planning on getting the Fleet in dark brown once spring arrives. I know, I know, I might have went a little crazy, but the capital F last in size 8,5 just fits me like a glove, it's almost as if they were made to measure.

I was planning on getting some Saphir shoe creme, do you guys recommend the dark brown or medium brown color cream for Hyde's and Fleets' in dark brown? I'd rather not darken the color of the shoes too much.

8. BXpress

BXpress Senior Member

Got the same impression. My pair of Eden (Legacy 1880) look and feel superior to both Aldwych and Hyde.

9. BXpress

BXpress Senior Member

Hello and welcome. About Saphir, choose Medium Brown if you wish to maintain the original Hyde colour. I use it for my Hydes and it works quite well. Also Saphir Medium Brown turns out darker than other Medium Browns.

10. HeeeresJohnny

HeeeresJohnny Member

Hi all,

I have been a bit of a lurker here recently, in pursuit of some very specific guidance, which I haven't yet found. Apologies if my search has overlooked the answer somewhere and I'm repeating a question that has been asked before. It is a little similar to Harba's question a few posts above, but not quite similar enough.

I have recently treated myself to some Loake Hydes in dark brown for work - they're a really great-looking boot and my first foray into what you might call "proper" footwear. They fit well (I think), although they feel a little clumpy compared with what I am used to, and are a little stiff for now, which is to be expected, but my question relates to colour and care.

They were rightly sold as "dark brown", but my boots are quite a lot darker than the pictures I had seen floating around the web before I bought them, and perhaps look slightly lifeless, too. In pictures I had seen, most of the upper seemed a lighter shade of brown, with the toe a tad darker, which was very attractive. Does anyone have any advice or tips on whether the colour will alter over time, or how I might look after the leather to get more life into them? What, in your experience, would be suitable creams/brushes/care techniques to get the best out of them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - this forum has been a great source of knowledge and enthusiasm.

Thanks,
    HJ

11. BXpress

BXpress Senior Member

The same thing happened to me but i noticed a wax/cream build up on the toes. Which led me to the conclusion that somebody bought them and decided that they are not dark enough. Not only did this guy ruin the original colour but he then decided to send them back after all. They were on sale so i assume they were seconds or nobody checked them before they got shipped to me. However, i went hog wild on the Renomat. The colour came off black. Now they look like on all the pictures. I had some before and after pics but i guess i deleted them at some point. Not sure how much that helps you, i guess you should check them for build up. If you should decide to renomat your shoes, i advise you to watch Kirby Allison's Youtube tutorial.

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Both look great!

13. HeeeresJohnny

HeeeresJohnny Member

Hi BXpress,

That sounds like a pain - was there any indication, other than the colour, that they had been used before you got your hands on them?

In my case, I think I have just ended up with a particularly dark pair. I ordered from Pediwear and they looked and felt absolutely grand-spanking new. I hope some wear will bring the life out of them and make the leather look a little less flat. Any other tips on waxes/creams would be welcome.

14. BXpress

BXpress Senior Member

There were no creases or scratches.

I can only suggest that you use Saphir Renomat followed by Saphir Renovateur (Standard-not the pure mink oil stuff). Then you refresh the colour with Saphir Medium brown shoe cream. Renomat should not damage the leather.

If you are reluctant to use renomat , you could carefully try it with Renovateur only (its a conditioner and cleaner, can't hurt)

I know it seems like reckless advice to give to someone who is new to all this but this is exactly what i have done and the result was very satisfactory. (i had good reasons)

15. Harba

Harba New Member

Have been wearing the Hyde's I got almost daily now for two weeks. In heavy snow and in overall wet weather. Used some saphir renovateur, shoe creme in medium brown as recommended (the medium brown from saphir is a great match, thank you for the great suggestion) and some super invulner spray to add some waterproofing. The dark brown color is pretty "bland" I admit, but I think it will develop nicely as seen in pictures below. To be honest I think most medium or dark brown Loake's look pretty bland in color, but then again they are not advertised as "antiqued" or having painted patina on them.

The lighting in the pictures is really bright and they look a lot lighter in color than they actually are, but I hope you get the idea.
    Loake_Hyde1.jpg Loake_Hyde2.jpg