1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

LOAKE APPRECIATION THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Meyboom

Meyboom Senior Member

Sound advice. In my experience mahogany has indeed a lot of red in it. Light brown on the other side has too much yellow tones. I really like the mid brown because it blends with a lot of different browns without changing the colour.

2. BXpress

BXpress Senior Member

I find Saphir medium brown to be rather dark. I only ever use it on brown shoes/boots that have no "special effect" brown tones. Loake Hyde would be such an example. Bog standard dark brown with no special shade.

I wouldn't use it on shoes that are clearly reddish/bronze-ish Mahogany, because it can dull the interesting shade and over time will turn it into an ordinary brown. But as i said, i find Saphir Mahogany should be handled carefully it's a very agressive colour.

3. unprocessed

unprocessed Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the differences between the Laxford vs Aldwych in terms of the look of the last and fit? Loake doesn't have multi-angled shots of their shoes on their website, so really hard to see how these shoes/lasts differ.

4. BXpress

BXpress Senior Member

All Legacy versions (River Last) come with a soft chisel toe, which has a bit more character than the capital last of the Aldwych, that is if you don't mind the slightly elongated cap of the River last. Also i find that the finish of the Legacy shoes is a bit better than the standard 1880.

When i bought my Aldwych, the Legacy series wasn't out yet. Looking at them now, i would easily choose the Laxford over the Aldwych, since both of these shoes would be beaters for me (meaning no offense), it wouldn't matter if they are Balmorals instead of standard Cap Toes. Come to think of it, Laxford look great in brown.

Here are some pics (the site describes them as Capital last which is wrong, it's River):

https://www.langer-messmer.de/LOAKE-Laxford-schwarz

5. Rimaarts

Rimaarts Member

So.... A stupid question but here goes... End of november scored tan suede loake Lincoln on tk maxx. "Tan" I expected something quite a bit brighter than it actually is... (Very similar to beige). Now I just can't get on with the colour, it's too dull for my likeing. Is there a way to brighten/recolour it? For 80£ loafers is it worth it to bother? Or I'm better off returning them (I did not wear them yet) and spending 2-3x as much on something I would absolutely love from the get go? My ideal colours would be polo/ brighter tan/cognac/chocolate.

6. Kochegar

Kochegar Well-Known Member

"Online Retailers No Longer Able to Order Loake 2nd January 2019
    Pediwear are very sorry to announce that along with other major online retailers we are no longer able to order Loake shoes.
    This is because Loake have changed their terms and conditions
    We wish to take this opportunity to thank you for your Loake business, it has been greatly appreciated. We very much hope we can be of service and assistance to you with our excellent range of carefully selected footwear brands."

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/newsitem/loake-shoes-ordering-update.php

What does it mean? Is Loake going to sell shoes only through own stores?

7. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

That's odd, Herring still has them.

8. walkinginplace

walkinginplace Active Member

At this point, where can you buy Loake if you're in the U.S.? East Dane?

9. Mercurio

Mercurio Well-Known Member

10. cranster63

cranster63 Member

I saw this too and wondered why. Loake must be demanding terms which are not suitable or profitable enough for the retailer. Shame but, oh well, there are plenty of other shoe makers out there.

11. jayvee

jayvee Active Member

Disappointed to see that the suede anglesey appears to be discontinued and they’ve removed the outer eyelets on the leather version!

It was probably their best boot, strange decision .

12. Jtchapman

Jtchapman New Member

I'm contemplating a pair of loake 1880 legacy split toes, they'd be the most expensive shoes I've bought at £240 as I'm on a slim budget, I was wondering if the legacy range was noticeably better than meermin classic? Its certainly a big jump in price.

13. cranster63

cranster63 Member

14. cranster63

cranster63 Member

"Disappointed to see that the suede anglesey appears to be discontinued and they’ve removed the outer eyelets on the leather version!"

Oh yes, agree totally, why would they even do that.

15. RKILLY67

RKILLY67 Active Member