LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

[​IMG]

Wearing my new Burford suede boots today. Their second outing.
    I think all the talk about the 024 being a bit roomy to allow for thicker socks is a bit odd.
    If anything, these are slightly less roomy in the toe area than the Capital.
    Stick with your regular size is my advice.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

I saw a pair of the new Chester Brogues, in burgundy, today. Very smart shoes, if a bit darker than I had imagined. Supply is a bit limited at the moment but I am looking forward to getting a pair in the new year.

3. Casablanca

Casablanca Member

@ Munky,
    So the burgundy Chesters are a certainty then? I'll wait for them in the New Year as well. Are they leather or Danite soled?

4. Munky

Munky Senior member

Hi Mr Blanca, Yes, I held the burgundy Chesters in my hands, yesterday! They have double leather soles and I slightly lighter coloured welt and heel, which makes them look even better. As I indicated, above, my only slight reservation is that they are a very dark burgundy. I am a bit worried that they may look brown once you have got them your feet. They didn't have my size (and only had two pairs), so I didn't get the chance to try them on. My guess is that they will sell very well.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

5. Bowball

Bowball Well-Known Member

A question or two about soles. I seem to kill leather soles like nobody's business. Probably a combination of wet British weather and spending all day on my feet. So, I was wondering, will Loake change the soles on shoes during a refurbishment (Grenson do, I know)? Also does putting rubber sole protectors count as a 3rd party repair as far as sending them back to the factory goes?

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

Bowball, Loakes will fit a new heel and sole, on the original last. At the moment, they charge £65 which seems a bargain, given the inital cost. The details are here:

http://www.loake.co.uk/repairs/

They will only do the refurbishment on condition that no other shoe repairer has worked on them. I think the fitting of a rubber sole will count as 'other people having worked on them'. Regards from a cold Wales, Munky.

7. Bowball

That's what I thought. Do you know if they will change the sole type? Grenson will let you fit a dainite/commando sole. I guess I could always just e-mail them and ask.

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

As far as I can tell, they only replace like for like. It might be worth e-mailing them about this.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

9. Bowball

This is the case. However I currently have a lovely pair of new suede Downings on my feet (thanks ebay) and am happy to see the nice deep channel on the sole stitching. Hopefully these will hold up much better than my cheaper original Loakes. Going to use my £65 to scour eBay rather than resole lower quality shoes.

10. Munky

Munky Senior member

I have a pair of tan Chester's and a pair of Buckingham's in tan. The difference in colour between the shoes is quite marked. The Chester's are an 'orangey', very light tan. The Buckingham's are quite a bit darker. Is this other people's experience of buying pairs of shoes supposedly of the same colour? I have rationalised this by being happy not to have two pairs of shoes the same colour!

There is a bit of history with this issue. When I bought my Buckinghams, I put the smallest amount of Renapur on them, before I wore them. Suffice to say that they didn't look good after this process. I was advised to use Lexol Conditioner and Saphir wax polish (by Patrick Booth, serious player on the Shoe Care thread). This worked very well and I think that things have returned to normal. I am sure that Renpur is a good product (it seems very similar to Dr Marten' Shoe Balm) but I'm no longer sure about its use on calf leather.

I had forgotten about a tin of Saphir, yellow wax, in my box. I bought this a couple of years ago, but I am not sure why! It looks as though I have only used it once. I used it as a final wax polish on the Buckingham's. I can't really describe what the yellow wax does, but the shoes now look great. Also, having had a bottle of Lexol for over a year, I can now see the point of using it. It's not something you would use regularly or often. I can see, though, how it can gently remove stuff that is on your shoes (in my case, Renapur) and generally - I would think - it is ideal as a conditioner. The Buckingham's look fine now! Thank you for listening, Munky.

11. goatandtricycle

goatandtricycle Well-Known Member

I have finally got a pair of Loake Otterburn making their way to me at the bargain price of £150. Not sure the wife will see it quite the same way mind.
    Any advice on shoes trees, I guess red cedar but do they really vary much!?!

12. inno

inno Well-Known Member

I'm eyeing up a pair of those myself now. Have to buy online since the local shoe shops stock only the lower-quality ranges. Is this colour accurate, by your reckoning?

[​IMG]

13. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

They do look very nice, I'd get them if I haven't already got a brown suede monkton from CJ.

I have 2 suede shoes from Loake, one is a desert boot from design line which is okay but I don't like the design I just kinda got it on sale. The other is the wentworth which fits a bit large for me but the suede seems to be good quality.

14. Bowball

Seems about right.

15. inno

inno Well-Known Member

Good stuff. Now I just need to figure out if I can afford them before Christmas!