LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks for this, gents. I have also tended to use a very small amount of clear cream on new shoes. Now I have GlenKaren in neutral and will use that.

I still have doubts about putting anything on new shoes. I used to rationalise this by thinking that shoes must be in dusty, working conditions for a lot of the time. Then I realised that the shoes are always given a final buffing before they leave the factory. I suppose my other reason for doing something, straight out of the box is to soften the leather a bit and stop them becoming creased, too quickly. Finally, it makes me feel better!

2. Casablanca

Casablanca Member

I seem to be on a roll lately. I was in my local Debenhams yesterday and spotted a pair of Grant from the Shoemaker range on discount. I needed a pair of black formal shoes for weddings/funerals etc, so I invested. I will only wear these about 4/5 times a year as I generally wear brown/tan/burgundy with casual and semi-formal clothes.

I notice that the Grant no longer appears on the Loake site, so it must be dropped. Maybe that's why it was discounted. From the shoe I learned that it's made on the Legend last in F width. I wore them for a little while last night and am very pleased as I was with the 024 Chester.

I'm delighted to be building up a wardrobe of splendid shoes again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

I don't know if I have mentioned this before. Two, 'natural' products that are good for very occasional conditioning of shoes: Dr Marten's Wonder Balsam and Renapur Balsam. Both are based on beeswax and neither contain turpentine. They soften the leather slightly and have a waterproofing effect. I use them alongside GlenKaren products. Have said that, I have only used Renapur once on various pairs of shoes. The second occasion hasn't come around yet. I have only used the Dr Marten's Wonder Balsam on my pair of Dr Marten's shoes ( I think these would be described as 'beaters' in the US...but very comfortable and weather proof). It is difficult to know how helpful the Wonder Balsam is, given that Dr Marten's are made of corrected grain and little gets through to the leather, below. My guess is that it works as well as Renapur. They are made of very similar ingredients.

For my Loake's, I find Renapur the best thing since sliced bread. Only a very small amount needed, no need to brush off and seems to condition the leather very well. It leaves the shoes with a deep sheen.

Yours Munky

4. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

That's good to know, Munky. The shipping costs are a stumbling block however. I checked their websites and Renapur is 10 pounds (approx AUD 20) but shipping is 13 pounds (approx AUD 24).

Doc Marten's price is only 6 pounds (approx AUD 11) but shipping is 25 pounds (approx AUD 43).

I'll have to see if they're available in Sydney. Thanks for letting us know; they sound good products.

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

http://stores.ebay.com.au/billygoat...37313017&_sid=192858857&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

6. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

7. The Ernesto

Very welcome.

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

I mean't to add that Renapur was recommended to me by the posh shoe shop I go to and they sell it. The shop carries a wide range of Loakes, Crocket and Jones and so on. I reason that they must know a bit about what to put on shoes. I don't think that they would risk their reputation by selling a lot of old junk.

Renpur is made of Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba oil and Avocado oil.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

9. BingoLiddle

BingoLiddle Well-Known Member

The temptation is to wear new shoes straight from the box. However the finish they usually get from the factory is often quite basic on shoes in this price category. Some retailers even give shoes an extra polish before distribution e.g. A Fine Pair of Shoes.

Personally I always give new shoes the full treatment before wearing - conditioner, cream and wax. You can't beat the esthetic boost a good hand finishing brings. More importantly the leather is better protected from knocks, scratches & spills.

10. The Ernesto

Conditioner on new shoes is a good idea.

11. Casablanca

Casablanca Member

Hello All,

I wonder could I get some more advice/guidance? Has any member experience of the Bibury and Woodstock shoes in the Lifestyle range? Now I know that many look down on these as they are Indian made and have Cemented Leather / Rubber Soles. The context of my question is this: I'd like a Burgundy shoe, but I tried on the Strand in my local bricks and mortar today and I think the Capital Last is a bit slim for me, whereas the Bibury is on the 026 and the Woodstock is available in a G fitting. Any feedback would be welcome.

12. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Loake makes a burgundy wingtip shoe for Herring called the Richmond on the 026 last, available in a G or F fitting. If that interests you.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...=6&catid=42&oldcolid=420&stype=0&colourid=421

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

13. Munky

Munky Senior member

Hi Casablanca,
    I think that the key issues are whether or not you like the shoes and whether or not they fit you. I wouldn't get too excited by people who comment on cemented shoes The main thing is that you enjoy wearing them. Buy what you prefer rather than buying what other people want you to buy.

14. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

+1.
    So what if they're from a supposedly "lower" range - who would really know?

I think they look great and if you're lucky enough to be able to try them on and they fit well, then I'd say go for it.

I'm curious why Loake doesn't have appear to have tan Bibury's - I like the Woodstock brogues but plain captoes would look really smart.

15. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

I used to own a pair of the Woodstock, in tan, and here's a photo of my old shoes I just found.

[​IMG]

Sadly I bought them a half size too large, and combined with them being a G fitting, even with insoles they were just too big. So sold them on after a few months. Very good looking shoes though.
    The cemented sole is a limitation, but the sole that they do have is half rubber and looks to be hard wearing.

I do like the look of the Bibury in burgundy, and here's is a Korean site with what I presume is a very favourable review of them. Nice photos of the shoes out in the real world anyway.
    http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?...egoryNo=20&viewDate=&currentPage=1&listtype=0

Again, the cemented sole is arguably a minus point, but if I ever saw a pair at good reduction in my size I'd probably be tempted. Don't think I'd pay full price for them.

I also second the idea of checking out the Herring Richmond. Made by Loake on the 026, and in two widths.