LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I really like the 026F last, the capital is a bit tight for me. Swing is too wide, Cornwall E is too tight. Any idea how I'd find good fit with CJ considering that? The E Monkton seems a bit too narrow, but the only other they do is G which presumably would be too wide, and only 4 other pairs are made in F.

2. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Thank you Munky :)

Just an update - I emailed Loake customer service asking for advice about removing the ink and was pleasantly surprised to receive a reply from Mr Andrew Loake himself, explaining that he has numbers written on his own shoes too, and apologising that there isn't any way to remove the ink but it was the first time anyone had raised it as an issue :embar:

He sounds like a very nice man who obviously takes a personal interest in customer care. I've now bought a second pair of 1880 Edward, it's my favourite shoe. :)

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

I'm glad it went well for you, Chuckie! Loakes really are a pleasant and helpful company to deal with. And the delightfully named, Oliver Coaker is a mine of information about Loake shoes.

4. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Hi Gents,
    First post here but have been browsing and learning for some time. I just wanted to share this photograph of my boots bought yesterday. First pair of Loakes I've been able to wear out of the box with no break in required, very elegant boots that are going to get a lot of wear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Welcome, Muddy! Great boots and hope you enjoy wearing them.

6. Casablanca

Casablanca Member

Hello All,

I've just bought my first pair of Loake Shoes, Chester in brown. I worked in a shoe shop as my first job and developed a love of shoes, from the smell to the colour and different styles. I generally wore Grenson over the years, but couldn't afford them of late ( I live in ireland and its been a tough few years). However my local Debenhams had a pair of Chester on offer ex display at half-price and I jumped at them. A little cream and polish brought them back to factory condition.

They are, without doubt, the best shoes I've ever bought. They fit me perfectly in size 8 with no looseness that might be expected from a country last. I hope to save up for a pair of Burgundy Strand next although I'd be tempted by a Burgundy Chester if they do appear in 2015 as suggested on the Swedish Loake site.

Regards for now.
    ]

7. Aerolord

Aerolord Member

Having a hard time choosing between Church's Chestwynd or two pairs of Loake (Chester/Ashby and Cannon)

Any thoughts, guys?

Since Loake are pretty much OOS, I do have a few more weeks to consider..

8. TheFluffer

TheFluffer Well-Known Member

Amazing feedback. Im hoping to pull the trigger on chesters as well. If it does not fit my well, will settle for something else with a Derby upper.

On that note, i was looking at the Shoemaker line's 641 brogues.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/_shop/products/Loake-Loake 641-Tan Buffalo Grain-233-222-1_med.jpg

Any comments on these perhaps? I was told by Loakes in an email to them that it uses full grain leather but they are not calf leather but are "bigger skins".

Cheers.

Daniel.

9. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Thanks Munky! Wore them to a party the same day and they were perfectly comfy all evening. 
    I went to Pediwear to get these fitted and I regret ever mail ordering in the past now.
    In future I'm only going to buy online if I know the last!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

10. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Fair play on finding a great deal on Loakes in Ireland.
    I'm from Dublin, but live in England, and as with most other things, am amazed by the high prices in Dublin shoe shops. And they mostly carry the lower range shoes.

Mail order from the UK should be viable. Try Herring Shoes, Pediwear or Shoehealer. I only have experience with Herring myself, but they are great when it comes to customer service. No idea what they charge to ship to Ireland.

One other option is up the road about 100 miles from Dublin. Robinson's Shoes in Carrickfergus. They often have offers of free shipping worldwide.

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Yeah Pediwear (or Herring) are great options. Loakes are really good value.

12. Munky

Munky Senior member

Casablanca, the burgundy Strands are beautiful shoes. The are very comfortable and very stylish. Bear in mind, too, the Buckinghams, which are made on the same last. I have a medium brown pair of these and plan to buy some more in tan. Chesters are one of my favourite shoes, although they took a bit of wearing in and - in my case - the use of insoles as they were a bit big to start with. In terms of comfortable and style, though, it is hard to chose between Chesters, Strands and Buckinghams. Obviously, the Strands and Buckinghams are 'lighter' shoes, in terms of construction, but all are good!

I have come to the conclusion that some shoes really do need additional insoles. None of us has 'standard' feed and insoles can make a difference to fit.

13. Casablanca

Casablanca Member

Thanks to all for the replies and advice. I've been very lucky with the Chesters. I've had no 'breaking in' issues and whilst I've only had one dry day to wear them walking down to the shop, I've had them on for short periods around the house. It's amazing that the first Loake shoes I've bought have been on a perfect last for me. I'm also fortunate that the local Debenhams stock some styles, so I can fit them even though I'd only buy them on a sale there as the websites that have been pointed out to me here are much better value.
    So, over time, I hope to get a burgundy Strand, a Hyde boot in brown and perhaps a black Reeves or Grant in the Shoemaker range for weddings and funerals.

14. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Great stuff.

I have burgundy Strands, and just recently bought brown Hyde boots. Strangely the Hydes are a bit more roomy then the Strands.
    And, on Saturday I ordered suede Burford boots, at a great discount, from the Loake Factory Outlet on ebay.

15. goatandtricycle

goatandtricycle Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm debating my first pair of rubber soles. How do people find the everyday wear and what's the cost of resoling?