• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odradek

Reaction score

The thin soles are the biggest shortcoming on Loake's dress shoes.

The Hyde boots are made without a midsole. I have a pair and the soles are more flexible than leather soles. They're holding up well so far, but you can feel any irregularities in the pavement through them.

Thanks for that info.
Have been trying to decide between the Hyde and the Pimlico, but I already have some burgundy chukkas.

My other option is Herring's Stratford boot, made by Loake, but I was thinking a Dainite sole would be more practical over the coming winter.

Roger la Rock

Reaction score
Thanks for that info.
Have been trying to decide between the Hyde and the Pimlico, but I already have some burgundy chukkas.

My other option is Herring's Stratford boot, made by Loake, but I was thinking a Dainite sole would be more practical over the coming winter.

Really depends on what you want in a boot. The upside of the flexible soles is that they look trimmer and feel less clunky for office wear.

mascherani

Reaction score
hi guys,

thinking about buying the Badminton.
i really love wide shoes and the pebbled grain leather is a must for me.

what's your opinion of them?

thanks in advance.

Webbo

Reaction score
Have bought the Chester in tan and have a couple of questions please;

- the leather seems a little stiff and they are taking a while to break in, any tips?
- which colour polish or cream for the tan leather?

Thanks guys.

Andreaser

Reaction score
By my experience, breaking in is not that hard comparing to other Loake shoes. Chester is softer than many others. Concerning cream or wax - I user only neutral for my Chesters in tan.

DayTripper

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Loake Kempton in Brown Suede?

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2514.php

Is it any good?

I have the Herring Campden, which is the exact same shoe re-branded for Herring and with a different sole and I love it. The shape of the toe is not too sleek and not too rounded - perfect for jean, chinos, and cords. The suede is darker than I expected, but it has a soft hand.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Webbo, Tan Chesters are great shoes! My experience has been that they take quite a long time to wear in. I'm not sure that what you put on them makes much difference. It is worth walking in them a fair bit. The results are really good. Munky.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is a Loake page, but can I put in a plug for Herring Chaucer IIs? They only cost a bit more than Loake's best 1880 shoes. They are wholecut shoes, made of one piece of leather for each shoe. Mine are a deep burgundy colour. They have a chisel toe which is more pronounced that most of the Loake shoes. Goodyear welted and wonderful looking shoes that buff up to a deep shine. They are made in Portugal (I think) by John Spencer, for Herring. Munky.

ajc2162

Reaction score
Those Chaucers are truly beautiful. I'm starting to appreciate wholecuts more and more; so thanks for the heads-up.

The Herring site only shows brown suede and black calf that look great - your burgundy colour must look really swish.

I also like DayTripper's Campden's, though - and agree they would be perfect for more casual wear.

Having no knowledge of suede shoes at this price point, can I ask you guys how durable they are?

I'm somewhat apprehensive about how easily they may get marked and scuffed in normal wear. Apart from those magic erasers and a brush, I wouldn't have thought there was much you could do about it.

With leather on the other hand, creams and polishes enable pretty good restorative / remedial action.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of Loake Heston's? I know they are made on a different last from Buckingham's, but they look very similar. In terms of shape, what is the difference between the two?

ajc2162

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of Loake Heston's? I know they are made on a different last from Buckingham's, but they look very similar. In terms of shape, what is the difference between the two?

No experience with either but they do indeed look very similar. Looking at the website pictures, I'm struggling to see a noticable difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads