LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

Hi 00Schneider, thanks for letting me know.
    I sorta knew that I could find it somewhere if I really needed it; but I wasn’t that fussed because mahogany’s pretty close to medium brown. And there’s also the option of just using a neutral-coloured polish.

So I’m happy to see how it goes for a while; and can always get some if need be. However, the thought of one bottle of polish being flown 12,000 miles to Sydney discombobulates me a little.

Sorry Odradek, didn’t mean to make you choke on your cornflakes. I also like the red colour - and I wasn’t saying you had to use black. I was just passing on some information that might be useful for some people.

Munky, I also would be pretty nervous about trying to change a colour. It’s hard enough just trying to find a polish to match the shoes; as an unfortunate experience taught me in my pre-SF days.

Early last year, I bought a pair of mid-tan shoes from Florsheim and asked the sales assistant for the polish to go with it.

“Oh” she said, somewhat surprised to be asked. “We don’t stock polish here. You’ll just need to go to any shoe repair place and get it there”

So off I obediently trotted. I found a Mr Minit shoe repair outlet, displayed my shoes and asked for a matching tan cream. When I later applied it, to my horror, small dark spots started to appear like polka dots.

I eventually found a local cobbler who managed to rectify things. He knows his stuff and I trust his judgement and expertise. He told me that lighter colours like tan can be tricky and it’s safer just to use a neutral cream. Fine by me – I’ve had no problems since.

So getting precisely the bright colour to match your shoes is no easy task – as Odradek has found (……Kiwi and Herring burgundy too dark).

And the corollary is that I’m afraid I don’t have much confidence in sales assistants or their product knowledge.

By the way, I’m glad you like your Buckinghams. I also find the last to be a perfect fit and really comfortable from the off.

I had the same good feeling with the 3625 last. (black 747 toe caps from the Shoemaker Collection – my first taste of Loake)

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

It all becomes so obsessive! I wonder why we suddenly become so caught up with the detail? I realise that, when I am out, I am registering other men's shoes. Sure as anything, though, they ain't clocking mine! Back to business.

Some say that finding an exact match between colours and shoes, is perhaps not so critical. Ditto, using brushes. I used to have two for each pair: one brush to clean the shoes before I put them on and the other to buff up after I have put wax or cream on. I was advised, recently, that - given that I have a number of tan and darker brown shoes, it would be quite reasonable to use a pair of brushes for 'brown shoes'. Some also say that using neutral is not a great idea as it can leave a white residue in the creasing of the shoes. (The 'some say' refers to very useful information on the main shoe thread). Others reckon that they use the same cloths and brushes for all colours and that this can help the development of a patina. If you look at shoe cleaner videos on the net, a lot of them seem to use cloths that must have been used to clean 20 different colours.

Thinking about the discussion about using black on brown shoes, occasionally, I suspect it would be quite interesting to do it on tan brogues. Presumably the black would colour the edges of the broguing and make them stand out. I'm a bit loathe to try it though. I imagine that once the black gets into the edge of the leather, it stays there.

How about this ? When I buy my next pair of shoes at our local posh shoe shop, I will be entitled to a free pair! After buying six pairs from them, the seventh is free. Their shoes are mostly Loakes, Trickers, Cheaney and Oliver Sweeney.

3. daltsoner

daltsoner New Member

These are all the same coloured shoes??? Which is most indicative of the burgundy colour?

4. rwtc

rwtc Senior member

Too bad they're overpriced in Toronto at Walking on a Cloud ... I can get Peal&Co C&J cheaper during a sale, in which the quality is somewhat better than the benchgrade offerings

5. Simar

Simar Member

The true colour is somewhere between the two .

6. Simar

Simar Member

Hi Munky , can you describe how the Buckinghams feel different from the Strands? - I had the Strands , but they didn't quite suit my feet .

7. Munky

Munky Senior member

Hi Sima, It's difficult to describe how the Buckinghams feel different to the Strands. They are both made on the same last but they do feel subjectively different. I have to wear a sole insert with the Strand but not with the Buckinghams, so I expect the Strands are slightly larger.For me, neither of them have much room in the toe box but this is getting better with the Strands ( I have had the Strands for much longer than the Buckinghams. If I was to choose between them, it terms of overall comfort, I would choose the Buckinghams.

Both are great looking shoes!

8. 00Schneider

00Schneider Senior member

I think it's difficult to make a universal statement about the fit. I have three pairs on the capital last (Aldwych dark brown, Aldwych black and Strand Mahogany) in size 7,5.
    All of them feel completely different, like they are all half a size different. The black ones are very tight, the Strands are tight but alright, the dark brown ones are rather loose fitting. So it's not just about the last or even the same model. There are always fluctuations in manufacuring which can result in half or almost one size difference. If your usual size doesn't fit, just return them for the same size and they might fit.

9. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

It's interesting that, while there appears to be a general favouring of the Capital last - a lot of you find the fit differs from one pair to another.

I haven't noticed any difference in my fits - they all feel the same to me.

I started with the black 747 on a 3625 last from the Shoemaker Collection because it happened to be the only one that fitted me (the Sydney store had a limited range - and I didn't know much about Loake then - but I thought it was good looking shoe).

I did a bit of research on Loakes - liked what I saw - and made an on-line purchase leap of faith that the Capital last would be much the same as the 3625. I take size 7F.

It's all turned out OK, fortunately - with a dark brown Aldwych and 2 Strands (burgundy and mahogany).

So if you guys are talking about feeling 1/2 size differences - that doesn't sound like a manufacturing anomaly.

I'm thinking it's more likely the bone structure of your feet, pronation, how they swell during the day etc. If they're actually causing you discomfort, then you might consider asking a podiatrist about properly fitting othotics to fit your shoes. Or start off slowly and buy some inner soles from the chemist and see how that feels. Or thicker socks - or 2 pairs of socks etc etc.

1/2 size isn't that big a deal - so I wouldn't be too hasty in blaming the shoes before you have exhausted all other options.

But, if after all that, you're still unhappy - then please send them to me. I'm prepared to open a rescue home for abandoned Loakes - particularly if they're 1880s.

10. Simar

Simar Member

Yes , it's tricky to get the right fit . My Strands were just a bit roomy overall , but the shape of the last was fine . I can usually order my normal size of 7.5 without issue in other lasts such as the 3625 and 026 . Also the thinness of the Strand's sole was a deal breaker for me .

11. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

I love my Strands, but glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks they have very thin soles.
    Hyde boots are next on my wish list and I'm hoping the Dainite soles are a bit thicker.

12. Munky

Munky Senior member

While I like clunking along in my double-soled Chesters, I also like the thinner soles of the Buckinghams and Strands. I wouldn't want to tap dance in them but I appreciate the lightness.

I tell you what I like the look of: the 1880's Taunton. They are an updated version of Loake's Royals - an historic shoe.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

13. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

But the Tauntons have a fatal flaw. That cost saving and very ugly seam on the instep.
    [​IMG]

Not something you should see on a shoe in that price range.
    Wearing my Allen Edmonds MacNeils today.
    Longwings with no exposed seam, and big chunky double soles.

14. Munky

Munky Senior member

Yep, that don't look too good, Odradek. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

15. Roger la Rock

Roger la Rock Senior member

The thin soles are the biggest shortcoming on Loake's dress shoes.

The Hyde boots are made without a midsole. I have a pair and the soles are more flexible than leather soles. They're holding up well so far, but you can feel any irregularities in the pavement through them.