1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

I am not sure that we should have to glue our shoes together, Cbrfn. These, for some of us, are expensive shoes. Once they have been glued, any sort of right to return them is made void.

2. 3y3scream

3y3scream Member

Hello guys~ I'm thinking of purchasing a pair Rothschild. I'm just wondering how I should size? Same as the capital?

3. TheFluffer

TheFluffer Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Munky, a return would be the best.

4. Uffuffa

Uffuffa Member

Thanks for your replies. The shop has contacted Loake and tells me they'll let me know when they have a response and a plan. Hopefully it will be a straightforward return and exchange. If the Loake customer service is acceptable then I'll be most willing to give them another go.

5. Uffuffa

Uffuffa Member

Hi Niakula - yes, mine also have a noise to them. They were completely silent when I wore them the first couple of times. When I noticed the splitting of the heel, I realised that there was an increasing noisiness when walking. Lots of squeaking, and another shuddering noise (similar to when one rubs one's finger hard down a wet pane of glass - it kind of judders...). This noisiness in the shoe indicates to me that the build is creaking at the seams. I wonder if the heel is just the first in a series of build quality failures...

6. Andreaser

Andreaser Member

It is normal actually. I also notised this at many of my Loakes. But there's nothing will happen in the future. The heel is firmly attached and you will wear them untill it will wear thru.

7. Munky

Munky Senior member

We shouldn't just accept that it is normal for a heel to come away from the body of the shoe. Also, Andreasor, you cannot know if if 'nothing else is going to happen' it all looks pretty bad to me. Loakes just shouldn't be selling shoes with heel problems. Especially at the price they ask for them.

I also have some quality issues with two of my pairs of Loake's. With one pair, the burnishing is done very badly and you can see where the person who did the burnishing let his sponge come to rest - leaving pretty much a straight line down the side of the shoe. On another pair, there is a stitching error at the front of the toe cap and there is some puckering of leather where it meets the sole.

I am contemplating make a complaint directly to Loakes. My only concern is that any errors should be brought to their attention very soon after you buy them (or when you first notice problems. One of my pairs, above, I have had for nearly two years and the other for about 8 months. But...I do feel that it is important to bring complaints about quality issues directly to Loakes.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. Andreaser

Andreaser Member

I can say nothing will happen after just exactly the same experience. On the picture you can see the space between the sole and heel appears if you will pull the heel down. It is absolutely normal since I observe it at the most of my Loakes (I have over 20 pairs both winter and summer). You can notice it when you buy it. And more: I also had problems with faulty Loakes and one pair was sent back. But in this case it is not a fault. It's just truth.

9. Andreaser

Andreaser Member

The heels are attached by spikes, not by glue. Try to tear it out and you will understand what I mean[​IMG]

10. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

11. Munky

Munky Senior member

A useful combination for Loake's tan brogues: GlenKaren light brown cream, then Saphir Yellow wax. The latter is often passed over. I had its use, with tan shoes, confirmed by A Fine Pair of Shoes.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  12. Uffuffa

Uffuffa Member

Have now received a Collect+ tag to return the shoes to Loake for (potential) repair - will let you know their response/action. Thank you all for your attention and replies. I will be interested to know if they regard this as normal for their heels, as I'm sure will you.

13. Andreaser

Andreaser Member

Yes, that would be very interesting. Please, let me know!

14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I have a dozen pairs of loake shoes, and I have a black chelsea as well as a chukka, but I'm reaaally craving the Hyde in black and brown. I love the chukka but the Hyde just seems so much more sleek.

15. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Wore my brown Hyde boots yesterday for the first time in a while.
    Always look good.

[​IMG]

Walk on the beach.
    Inchadoney Beach, West Cork, Ireland.

1 person likes this.
  16. TheFluffer

TheFluffer Well-Known Member

Anyone have Loake loafers who could share some reviews? most of their ranges are CG and not calf skin. and i will want to avoid CG as my Loake 1s are creasing heavily even with shoe trees upon removal from feet and also alternate wears.

17. Munky

Munky Senior member

I often sit outside Starbuck's with my legs crossed so that people can admire my shoes. No one seems to, though. [​IMG]

18. Andreaser

Andreaser Member

Ough, it is always like that :)

19. Munky

Munky Senior member

Haha, Andreaser, I think it is! An international shoe problem!

1 person likes this.
  20. Munky

Munky Senior member

It was a dark and stormy night on the Loake page. In the distance, a dog barked. [​IMG]