LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Take a look at Holborn maybe. That's a G width, and similar styling to Aldwych

2. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

After having polished the shoes with Saphir dark brown cream and wax, I can't quite decide whether I like the final effect. Of course, I could order some Saphir Renomat, and start again if I am not entirely happy.

However, before I do that, I would appreciate any feedback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. AaronC

AaronC Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New tan buckingham after a coat of renovator.

4. sydneyroosters

sydneyroosters Member

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light regarding whether Loake Chesters Mahogany resembles the colour of the shoe on the left? I know the pair in question are not Loake (possibly C&J) but I am looking for some brogues in the same vein of colour; or is it a matter of using darker polish on Loake Chesters Tan?

[​IMG]

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

If you look on the Loake site, you will see that the Chester brogues are made in a fairly dark brown, as well as tan.

6. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  7. Munky

Munky Senior member

Having looked at the brown Loake Chesters, I would say that they are more of a chocolate colour than the dark tan of the shoes in the photo.

For what it's worth, I have had some success with making tan shoes darker. I did it in stages, using increasingly dark cream. The shoes do need 'topping up' every so often but seem to be keeping their new colour. Hope this helps, Munky.

8. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Speaking of the Chester, Herring have the similar Loake Jack in Sand Suede on sale for $114 atm. Fwiw, it doesn't appear to be made in England.

9. AaronC

AaronC Member

Looked at Loake's official website and it said "Contemporary suede brogue shoe, made in England.".

Was thinking of picking them up but not sure how easy it is to care for light coloured suedes which is putting me off from buying them.

10. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Weird. Dunno why Herring don't list them as such, when they do indicate country of origin for other shoes.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have been looking for a pair of plain Derby shoes in black with a Dainite sole,there doesn't seem to be much choice,I was thinking of a 771 but I cant find one with a Dainite sole.
    The Loake Waverley looks to be similar in pictures to the 771 ( a different last I know ) and the other shoe I have seen pictures of is the Barker Nairn,does anyone have any experience with either shoe ? are they similar in quality ? is the Waverley as much like the 771 in reality as in the pictures ? any information would be much appreciated,thanks.
    Oh,just to add that I have a pair of Loake Kemptons and 2 pairs of Loake made brogue boots that I am happy with.

12. sydneyroosters

sydneyroosters Member

Thanks for the help Munky, I probably will go down the the route of darkening the tan rather than buying the uniform brown colour.

13. Munky

Munky Senior member

Just one more observation about tan Chester brogues. I found it very easy to 'condition' away the burnishing. I have grown used to them now but I was disappointed, initially, that the broguing was coming off on the cloth I was using. By using Saphir light brown, polish, which is a bit darker than the shoes themselves, I am getting them to develop a bit of patina which sort of makes them look burnished again. Either way, I am very happy with the way they look and also the way that they wear.

One final note about tan Chesters! The double sole is quite easy to scuff and they soon look a bit worn around the edges. Some people feels this adds to their 'look'. If you don't Saphir make a good Renovating Cream Edge Dressing which nicely paints over the scuffs. I only use it occasionally and use the medium brown. If I was buying the stuff again I would probably have gone for the dark brown. Not something to be used the morning after a night of downing three bottles of wine.

14. Munky

Munky Senior member

Does anyone have any experience of Loake boat shoes? They are under £100. I am not sure what they are made of but the don't look as though they are made of corrected grain. Any information would be helpful.

15. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Never handled them but from the pictures they seem pretty cheap, and with false moc-construction (pre-punched holes)

Yoox and Amazon are full of Sperry/sebago/timberland at discount price, if you want a boat shoes buy a real one.