LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

I am very pleased with my burgundy Strands. They are a wonderful colour and getting very comfortable after 3 or 4 wearings. I don't think you can ask for more at the £200 mark.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

I am thinking of buying a pair of black, corrected grain, Loake's, shoes - for weddings, funerals and so on - shoes I won't wear very often. I don't normally wear black shoes. Remind me, am I right in thinking that corrected grain won't take cream or wax polish but just need a wipe over with a damp cloth?

3. Bureaucrat

Bureaucrat Senior member

I've never heard anyone using any wax or polish on CG leather. Occasionally, one could use some sort of leather conditioner, if the leather has deep scuffs or the like. Bear in mind that like all leathers, CG varies a lot too from shoes to shoes. Some CG leathers could theoretically even take a polish, but I would just wipe them off with a damp cloth and wear the hell out of them.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, especially if you're not going to use them frequently.

4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I'm of the opinion every man should have at least one pair of decent black cap oxfords.

Probably worth shelling out extra for the Aldwytch.

5. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

I have just ordered some Loake Cannons in dark brown, and I will try to post some images when I receive them.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  6. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

There will be sales starting soon.
    But even outside the summer and winter sales it's always worth checking the Herring Shoes website to see what they have in their sale section, and it's also worth looking at Loake's own eBay sales.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  7. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks for all your comments , guys, they are much appreciated. [​IMG]

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

I will think about the idea of buying a pair of 'better' black shoes than the corrected grain I had in mind. My problem is that I have no reason to wear black shoes for most of the time (I am retired). So, as I suggested, they will be 'weddings and funerals' shoes. I imagine that - unless they are shoe freaks, themselves - most people won't be looking at my shoes during these events! If they do, it is to see if they are clean or not. This is one of the few situations, perhaps, when corrected grain shoes come into their own; you don't need to polish them, merely to wipe them over. Ideal for 'once in a while' use.

I could probably earn a good living selling black, corrected grain shoes as long as they were marketed the right way!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  9. Rick's Tailoring

Rick's Tailoring Affiliate Vendor

Opening our second shop and carrying Loake, thought you guys might enjoy this pic of the lineup.
    [​IMG]

10. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it turns out that Pediwear, Herring and another place I enquired from are out of stock, and expect more stock at the end of the month.

At this point, I am going to shop around, and perhaps see if I can find something else.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  11. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

You could try ordering from Loake themselves..... http://www.loake.co.uk/loake-1880/monk-shoe/cannon.html

12. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

They are also out of stock.

In which case, it is probably safe to assume most places will be out of stock.

Edit:

I have now ordered the Rosewood Luxury Calf Double Buckle Monk from Charles Tyrwhitt, which I believe are made by Barker.

However, I am slightly concerned about the colour.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  13. Rick's Tailoring

Rick's Tailoring Affiliate Vendor

I may have what you looking for. PM me

14. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

I have sent you a PM.

Edit:

The Barker double monk-strap shoes arrived today, and the colour is closer to brown than what I had been expecting.

Here are a few images, although they haven't yet been polished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, while the colour looks quite good and has its own charm, would it be safe to use brown polish for further darkening?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  15. Albi.S

Albi.S Member

Hey guys, need a little advice on sizing. I'm an 8 EEE in the AE Park Aves. I initially wanted to purchase a pair of the Aldwych, but it seems to only come in an F. So, I was thinking about getting the Churchill in an 8 G from Pediwear. Any thoughts? Would an 8G be comparable to an 8EEE from AE? Would it be too much of a stretch to get the Aldwych in an 8.5 F?

Any help would be great. Here's the link to Pediwear: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/5001.php