LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Have the Pimlico and Kempton got a midsole?

Anyone know?

2. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Yes, both have a midsole.

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

alexSF,
    I don't believe that what I suggested 'doesn't make sense at all'. I was directing my comments at those who want to maintain the original colour of their shoes. You, on the other hand, imagine that there are lots of people who want to change the colour of their shoes. Two sides of the same coin, I would think.

You also write that 'Talking of Loake, their leathers generally have unattractive uniformity'. This often just isn't the case. Most, if not all, of their tan brogues are burnished. Their burgundy Strands have a considerable range of hues within their finish...and so on.

Finally, you write that:'Company branded products are simply re-branded products marked-up, in the case of Loake surely cheap ones like Kiwi etc, I think we know the first part ,' that shoe companies re-brand other products. I'm less sure that we know that: 'in the case of Loake, surely cheap ones like Kiwi...'

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  4. BingoLiddle

BingoLiddle Well-Known Member

I've been very happy with my Pimlico. They've had a lot of wear through the Swedish winter. Not the best pic but as I happen to be wearing them today::
    [​IMG]

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Beautiful shoes, Bingo!

6. classics

classics Active Member

Greetings Gentlemen!

Long follower of the forum, would like to share my experience and ask for a bit of advice:

Bought a pair of beautiful Loake Embankment Loafers. The original color is stated to be Mahogany, however in real life the pair looks more of a Mid brown.
    Ever since the purchase, polishing the shoe has become a dilemma, which ever product is used for polishing, it takes away the finishing off the shoe (have the finishing come off on white cotton t-shirt).
    The shoe doesn't like wax at all! As soon as the leather is touched with a mid brown wax (Herring shoe branded), it darkens the color (leather is reacting to the wax). The wax also takes away the finishing of the Loafer.
    Finally got to use Church's branded Neutral Colored shoe cream provided in a tube. The leather is digesting this cream much better, however even with this cream the factory finish comes off (not as much though as compared to the wax used). I don't have access to Loake wax/creams at this moment.

My query at this time is (especially to forum members Munky & Wurger) as to why the leather on this lovely Loake Embankment is behaving the way it is? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  7. Munky

Munky Senior member

Hello classics, congratulations on buying the Loake Embankment Loafers. They are beautiful shoes.

I can't help much on your question about shoe products, but Wurger and others will certainly be able to help - they have much more experience than I do. I will be interested to hear what they say.

Best wishes, Munky,

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

@classics, every shoe factory finishes their shoes with polish, which will wipe off on white cloth if you try.

it's completely normal.

9. classics

classics Active Member

@wurger, your input is highly valued!

1. If it is not a huge hassle, kindly advise as to what should be the routine for this Loake Embankment shoe? Have been skeptical about using colored polishes and creams for this shoe.
    2. Another thing which would require your valued opinion is regarding black oxford cap toe and your research is the most comprehensive and informative available online. The choice is between Loake Aldwych and Meermin Classic Cap toe.
      The shape of Loake Aldwych is the preferred choice of shoe as it is roundish with a hint of chiseling. However when I saw Loake Embankment in real life the overall finishing of the shoe is not top notch (Welt to sole junction is not cleanly finished off & the leather is creasing more than would be justified for a couple of outings for the shoe). I had more expectations for the Loake 1880 line (although I know it is at the lower end of the quality Northampton shoe).

Meermin classic cap toe has a roundish toe (which is not the preference), but what can be seen from pictures and what people are saying on SF, it is better finished off (clean welt to sole gluing) and the quality of the leather is better as compared to Loake Aldwych. As you have been the proud owner of cap toe shoes from both the companies, can you share your opinion? If you had to make a choice between the two what would be your take and why?
    Thanks.

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

I don't like to write too much about things that have been covered already.

1. I only do shoe care to shoe when required, that is when shoes are scuffed and don't look nice, probably once every 2 months, but I do have a big pool of shoes to rotate. Simple brush and wipe off the dust, some reno or cream, depending on my mood, and finally some coloured wax, mainly in the toes, Done.

Feel free to experiment with different colours of cream and wax, don't see why you are sceptical.

2. Loake because it's better overall quality to me.

11. classics

classics Active Member

Great!

Once again short and spot on recommendation, made the selection way more easier.

Thanks again!

12. Munky

Munky Senior member

It really is important not to use care products too often. With new shoes, of which we are really fond, it is easy to overdo the care. I agree with Wurger that a good brushing is often all that is needed. It continues to surprise me that brushing can bring out such a deep and lustrous finish.

13. BingoLiddle

BingoLiddle Well-Known Member

Thanks Munky!

14. Proxy

Proxy Member

Hi guys, what do you guys thing of the fit on this buckingham. Should I size down half a size? TIA

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  15. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Based on those pictures, your shoes appear to be too tight, the lacing is too far apart. Sizing down would be folly.

Last edited: May 22, 2014