1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

Pedants' corner. For waxing my 1880 Burgundy Strands, I find the Saphir Burgundy wax a much better match than Loake's own Burgundy. The Loake wax is a bit dark. Having said that, Loake must be happy with the colour of their wax or they wouldn't sell it!

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Tomorrow, Friday, I plan to buy a pair of Buckinghams. I see them as the missing link between my Chesters and my Strands. Does anyone think this is a good idea, or not.

3. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

Does anyone else in the US sell this brand?

4. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

In a heartbeat, yes..go for it! They are great-looking shoes. What colour are you interested in?

Am I right in presuming you mean the missing link is the closed laced oxfords to balance your derby Chesters?

5. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

I recently purchased some Buckinghams a few weeks ago. So still in the breaking in phase. All-round good shoes (typical Loake), although I do find the toe box a little firm when walking. But Im sure this will become more flexible with time and give me the usual years of good service which Ive come to expect from Loake .

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks for your comments, guys. I am looking for the tan ones. I think what I mean't by the link between the Chester's and the Strand's is that the Chester's are rounded and completely brogued. The Strands are narrow and half brogued. My Strands are in burgundy. The Buckingham, although very similar to the Strand's and have the same, Oxford, lacing the broguing is quite different.

Now, the small matter of convincing my wife...

7. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

A suitable letter from your doctor should do the trick.

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

Suffice to say that I didn't get them, [​IMG]

9. Munky

Munky Senior member

I have a sad life and have read many of the reviews of Loake shoes on their site. A frequent comment is that the Made in India shoes have tougher leather than the UK made ones and take ages to break in. Are different leathers used in the two countries? I had imagined that Loake's outsource the production costs of shoes for economical reasons (which, in passing, raises some ethical questions). But is it more than about production costs but about leather quality too? Most of the Indian shoes are made of corrected grain leather but some are full grain. Or is this all about a sentimental attitude towards UK made shoes? Sincerely yours, Munky.

10. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

"Tougher leather" is probably just lower quality leather.

There's an awful lot of variation in a hide and the more expensive cuts of leather would no doubt go to more expensive shoes.

Here's a handy guide from Justin FitzPatrick, The Shoe Snob.

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013/06/leather-quality-how-it-varies.html

11. hoxuantu

hoxuantu Well-Known Member

$209 for Cannon monkstrap is a good deal, isn't it?

1 person likes this.
  12. zarkov

zarkov Well-Known Member

MSR
    BNIB?

MSRP in the UK is £209 GBP so, yes, $209 for a pair BNIB looks like a good price to me.

13. hoxuantu

Yep, it's brandnew in box. Gilt.com is running sale-off of Loake shoes.

14. zarkov

zarkov Well-Known Member

If you're a UK6, then go for it (the only size left from what I could tell) :)

15. goatandtricycle

goatandtricycle Well-Known Member

I have a pair of L1's toe cap and they are considerably firmer than my 1880's. To the extent I won't be buying the L1's again all else being equal. I'll be looking to pick them up in sales etc ahead of when needed.

16. hoxuantu

He he, I picked the 6.5UK one before.

17. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

After some horse trading, I managed to persuade my wife to let me buy the Loake, brown, Buckinghams. They are beautiful! I use Saphir products mostly. What shade of cream and wax would anyone here use on these shoes? I don't really want to get into a big debate about shoe polishing! Just the shade of Saphir will do me!

19. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

Difficult to say without knowing the precise colour. But the photos of the brown shoes seem close to mahogany - medium brown anyway.

If it is close to mahogany, then medium brown cream would probably work. You might consider a sparing application of burgundy occasionally if you wanted to give it the "red' that is often seen in mahogany.

The dark brown seems close to the Aldwych and I have Saphir dark brown for those.

20. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks for that, ajc.

My journey into shoes and shoe care started a year or two ago when I came across the 'Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos etc' thread, on SF. I learned all about the different sorts of leathers, creams, waxes, welts and so on. I bought a pair of Loake's shoes and never really looked back (except of give some corrected grain shoes to the charity shop). Loakes 1880's are the most expensive shoes I can afford, although I do have some Herring shoes, too. I am sure you would enjoy the above, thread. DO, lurk for quite a long time before you sign in, though. There a really serious people on there, from shoe makers, to those who have bespoke shoes. It is very worthwhile to look at the pages of past postings on there. But..don't ask questions about things like cleaning shoes, what polishes and waxes to buy and so on. These sorts of questions tend to be treated very briskly! Have a look! Regards, Munky.