1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

Beautiful shoes, Simar!

2. Simar

Simar Member

Thanks Munky.

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

My wife just bought me a pair of Loake Mojave suede shoes - the shoe version of their dessert boots. Although they are fairly inexpensive at just under a £100, I think they are stylish as casual shoes in the summer. Most of all, though, they really fit. I have paid more than double this price for shoes that really don't fit well at all. The answer to this latter point is, I expect, to go somewhere where they measure you feet carefully and to try on lots of pairs of shoes made on different lasts. Meanwhile, I am very happy with my Mojaves!

4. Simar

Simar Member

Certainly quality shoes should be well made and attractive , but really fit is paramount . I think Loake's have a real advantage , for me , in that a number of their lasts fit me really well . IMHO they should upspec their older proven lasts to offer calf and a wider colour range and styles . Any pics of the Mojave , Munky?

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks for your comments, Simar.I don't have a way of putting up pictures. The shoes can be seen on their site, however. They are in their Lifestyle range. For anyone obsessed with detail, these shoes are made in Italy! Sad to say, I e-mailed them, to ask them!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  6. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

Any experience with the Loake Churchill ?
    How is it compared to the 026/G Badminton ?
    UK 11 Badminton fits perfectly should I order Churchill in 11 or 11.5 ?

7. bleu

bleu Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Loake Aldwych in dark brown

8. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

Nice choice Bleu

I got a pair a few months ago. They fit me well and I think they look very elegant.

I like the 1880 range and have just ordered some Strands from Shoehealer (decided to get both the mahogany and burgundy because I coudn't decide which I liked better).

Hi Feryll, sorry but I don't know about the Churchills. I've found that the capital and 3625 lasts in 7F are good fits for me. The Churchill has the Last Swing / G fitting - so it's presumably a bit wider fit.

I've found Richard from Shoehealer to be very helpful and he'll give you his objective opinion of fit / sizing etc. You can email him or go into live chat with him (don't know where you are but he and I were happily "chatting" with a 12 hour time difference). Hope this helps a little bit.

9. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

Hey Kiwifeet, where have you gone? You made a great post and seemed to have vanished into the ether......

10. Eastman

Eastman Well-Known Member

I want to get the 1880 Pimlicos, is this a true to size last?

11. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

I find the Capital last (which is what the Pimlico uses) to be slightly roomy in length and width. I can't tell from your profile whether you are in the US, but for what it's worth, I am usually a US 8.5D and wear the UK 7.5F Pimlico.

12. goatandtricycle

goatandtricycle Well-Known Member

I'm on the hunt for some discounted Mahogany Cornwalls in the UK, size 12 or 13.
    Any suggestions google isn't helping!! :-(

13. AL FINK

AL FINK Active Member

-

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  14. Munky

Munky Senior member

As you will know, Loake's offer a refurbishment service which is about £65. If you have had a third party repair your shoes, they will not undertake the referb.

My problem is this. The heels of my Chester's are about to get worn beneath the rubber part of the heel. The soles show no sign of wearing through. Do I wait until the soles wear through (I estimate this as being about 2 years hence!) Or do I have the heels repaired and not worry about a Loake's refurb? Surely no one has the heels and (double) soles wear out at the same time?

I would welcome any thoughts on this.

15. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

An interesting dilemma, Munky. May I enquire what a Loake refurbishment entails? 65 pounds is 30% of the cost of the shoes; so you'd hope for a long life after that.

On the other hand, a competent shoe repair store could redo the heels and topy at the same time. The guy I use would charge around AUD 50 (approx 25 pounds) and you'll get several years out of that.

If you had to do that 3 times, you may get a longer wear and you've still only paid the Loake refurbishment price - but amortised over a longer period.

16. Munky

Munky Senior member

Hello Ajc,
    This is from Loake's website:

"Loake charge £65.00 per pair, inclusive of return postage within the UK and VAT. This covers re-soling on the original last with new soles and heels, fitting new seat socks and re-finishing the upper part of the shoes. We expect to return repaired shoes within 21 working days of receiving payment, exclusive of any factory holidays."
    It seems to cover quite a lot and you would, of course, retain the (worn in and patinated) upper part of the shoe. I think I agree with you, though, that it might be better to get a cobbler to do the heels. Given that Chester's have a doubly thick sole, it is likely to be some years before they wear through. I know, though, that when I need it, the cobbler would be quite happy to do the soles, too.
    I don't have Topy fitted, though! For further debate on this, see previous entries. It has just occurred to me to wonder if the use of Topys would constitute 'repair by a third party' and thus invalidate the conditions of the refurb.
    Best wishes, Munky

17. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

It does seem like a comprehensive service and you'd virtually be getting new shoes- and a correspondingly long life. Of course, I'm talking from 11,000 miles away where this isn't an option. But the price covering return postage is attractive. 3 weeks is a long time to wait though; versus a day or so from your local cobbler.

I accept the differing views about topying - I prefer to do so myself to eliminate slipping; but it's also a neat job and they last ages for me.

But rather than agonising over what would or would not invalidate the terms of the refurb; wouldn't it be just as easy to ring Loake and ask them? This would also clarify precisely what to expect if you decide to take the refurb route.

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

Great minds think alike! I e-mailed Loake's yesterday and got a reply this morning. They charge £25 for a 'standard heel repair', which seems like a good thing. I would have thought it a good idea to have a couple of heel repairs and then a full refurb every few years.

19. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

Hi Munky
    Sounds like you're sorted. As you say, the refurb will be occasional and I think there's something warm and comforting about being able to send your shoes back to Loakes to take care of them. That's really standing behind your product.

Can you think of any other consumer product where you can do that? You can't send you car back to the factory for a grease and oil change and to topy the tyres.

20. Munky

Munky Senior member

I suppose, if you could afford it, buying a made-to-measure suit would be much the same. I suspect that they do all sorts of nips and tucks and change the Topys on the lapels. They would probably charge as much as a new suit to do it though.