• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTB-85

Reaction score
No offense but I have my doubts this is from Loake.

Maybe, it's from a vendor who didn't know what he was doing. After all, the subtitle under the image view say "Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2". Of course, I don't know how Styleforum manages their affairs, and where this subtitle comes from. But it seems unlikely Styleforum has access to the eBay image processing infrastructure. I'd say the image probably comes from an eBay source.

Also, the information is weird: Stick length isn't always measured "to the end of your big toe", because, for some people, the second toe is longer. Also, a stick length of 276mm translates to a UK 9.5 – not a UK 8.0! This indicates, the table was created by someone who forgot to include the nominal allowance. Also, the UK-US conversion is one unit today. Additionally, what's "8H" listed under "US" supposed to mean?

Overall, this doesn't add up.
It's from the Loake factory outlet so I asumed they have some contact with the company itself.....??

Also - the mention of "nominal allowance" I don't follow? the stick length that translates to UK9½ is not the size of the shoe. The length of my foot is 27,5cm - the corresponding "stick length" in the chart would be UK8 and there were at least 2 cm until my toes would have touched the leather at the tip of the shoe.... Is that what you were refering to?

It wasn't my intention to mislead anyone. The chart worked perfectly for me to figure out what size I should pick...
- Morten

RPM1

Reaction score
I think they both look great! The one in the lighter shade could give you the opportunity to burnish it yourself...a lot of work but might be worth it
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

Interesting thought, although I probably wouldn't be confident enough trying that with a new pair of shoes.

I am afraid the first pair will have to be returned as unwanted.

Claus

Reaction score

It's from the Loake factory outlet so I asumed they have some contact with the company itself.....?? 

Well, this explains where the eBay label comes from.

However, I cross-checked the number's in the table with the calculated values, and it seems to me, whoever created this table, he or she truly forget to add an allowance.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone from the marketing or sales department forget to ask the engineers – or, in this case, the last makers – how the numbers of a product really should be used. Another possible source for errors is the use of some kind of spreadsheet software, which may have devastated the economy of some countries, already.

Whatever the source, I really doubt anyone should use this.

Gbg brouge

Reaction score
Interesting thought, although I probably wouldn't be confident enough trying that with a new pair of shoes.

I am afraid the first pair will have to be returned as unwanted.

Understand the feeling
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about the return, was it the one with the mark on the sole?

RPM1

Reaction score
Understand the feeling
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about the return, was it the one with the mark on the sole?

The pair with the slight mark on one sole, which is unlikely to affect performance, is being kept. However, the shoes to be returned are with the much lighter than expected shade of brown.

According to British consumer law, within a given period of time, all purchases made on the internet can be returned after initial inspection.

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Both pairs started from the same colour, the darken effect of the burnishing process can vary and the result could be different, nothing that a darker cream and polish routine couldn't resolve.

Last edited:

RPM1

Reaction score
Thank you for the input, alexSF.

However, I am aware of how the burnishing process works, which was also featured in the Loake Sweden blog. Furthermore, I imagine the process requires a certain amount of experience and takes up much time, neither of which I have in abundance at present. Moreover, I would not generally recommend experimenting with burnishing techniques on a new pair of shoes, as there is potential for ruining them.

Finally, I should also add that I have no need for two pairs of the same shoes, so one of them would have to go.

Picture, courtesy of the Loake Sweden blog.

Last edited:

adampaul

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! Just checking in to say I received my brown Strands yesterday from Pediwear. It's taken about 2.5 weeks since ordering (I live on the east coast of the US). Pediwear was a huge pleasure to deal with. They also threw in some wax polish and a shoe horn, which I thought was a nice gesture. Going forward, please keep in mind that the only other pair of proper (i.e. full-grain leather, goodyear welted) shoes I own are my black Allen Edmonds Park Avenues, which I've had for about 1.5 years. The very first thing I noticed when I unboxed the Strands was the feel of the leather was different from my PAs and, at first thought, not in a good way. I thought it was rather stiff/cardboardy (spoiler alert: I was very mistaken). My PAs are size US10.5D and fit reasonably well (well enough that they are comfortable and wearable). But judging from where the balls of my feet sit in them, I should have gone with US10D. I sent a similar statement to Pediwear and if I felt a US10D would have fit me better in the PAs, they suggested size UK9.5 for the Strands. I indeed ordered size UK9.5. When I first tried the Strands on last night, I don't think I could ask for a better fit for the cost of these shoes. The width is good, length is good, the balls of my feet sit right wear they should in the shoes, laces/vamp close almost all the way, and no discernible heel slippage. I wore them to work today, and they've been comfortable and light on my feet the whole time. The leather feels a good bit softer/pliable now while still holding shape. A while back, I was also concerned that the brown color wouldn't be dark enough for me. I would happily say these are on the darker side of medium brown (not to be too subjective). All in all, I'm really glad I went with these shoes. For the money, these are just the ticket. Thanks to all of you contributing great info and helping others out. Hopefully this writeup helps someone else in the future. Cheers!

Last edited:

RPM1

Reaction score
Thank you for the info, adampaul.

Interestingly, I felt the same way about the calf leather on the Loake shoes I received recently. However, I am also hoping that it will soften up, as my other full-grain leather shoes have become increasingly softer and fuller over time with regular polishing.

techaview

Reaction score

Hi, everyone! Just checking in to say I received my brown Strands yesterday from Pediwear. It's taken about 2.5 weeks since ordering (I live on the east coast of the US). Pediwear was a huge pleasure to deal with. They also threw in some wax polish and a shoe horn, which I thought was a nice gesture. Going forward, please keep in mind that the only other pair of proper (i.e. full-grain leather, goodyear welted) shoes I own are my black Allen Edmonds Park Avenues, which I've had for about 1.5 years. The very first thing I noticed when I unboxed the Strands was the feel of the leather was different from my PAs and, at first thought, not in a good way. I thought it was rather stiff/cardboardy (spoiler alert: I was very mistaken). My PAs are size US10.5D and fit reasonably well (well enough that they are comfortable and wearable). But judging from where the balls of my feet sit in them, I should have gone with US10D. I sent a similar statement to Pediwear and if I felt a US10D would have fit me better in the PAs, they suggested size UK9.5 for the Strands. I indeed ordered size UK9.5. When I first tried the Strands on last night, I don't think I could ask for a better fit for the cost of these shoes. The width is good, length is good, the balls of my feet sit right wear they should in the shoes, laces/vamp close almost all the way, and no discernible heel slippage. I wore them to work today, and they've been comfortable and light on my feet the whole time. The leather feels a good bit softer/pliable now while still holding shape. A while back, I was also concerned that the brown color wouldn't be dark enough for me. I would happily say these are on the darker side of medium brown (not to be too subjective). All in all, I'm really glad I went with these shoes. For the money, these are just the ticket. Thanks to all of you contributing great info and helping others out. Hopefully this writeup helps someone else in the future. Cheers!
Mind to share picture? I ordered mine from robinsonsshoes and am still waiting, I ordered mahogany and robinsonsshoes told me they are the still colour as dark brown from loake website.

Gbg brouge

Reaction score

Give us pics!
biggrin.gif

adampaul

Reaction score
I should have anticipated the requests for photos. I'll post some pics this afternoon/evening of the shoes off, and maybe on, my feet.

adampaul

Reaction score
Mind to share picture? I ordered mine from robinsonsshoes and am still waiting, I ordered mahogany and robinsonsshoes told me they are the still colour as dark brown from loake website.
Give us pics!
biggrin.gif
Good boy!
cheers.gif

Alright alright. Here are some pics. The color is the "Mahogany Burnished Calf" as listed on Pediwear's site. The color/shade in the photos is rather accurate. All photos were taken on an HTC One phone using the camera's HDR setting. I tried to capture what they look like in real life under these various conditions. The shoes have had one day of wear. First, to jog you memories, for reference here's the photo Pediwear sent me when I asked them about the color (under fluorescent desk lighting):

First up for my photos, Strands on my linoleum kitchen floor under my soft white indoor fluorescent lights:

Next up, in my living room under the soft glow of some CFL light bulbs.

And the pièce de résistance, on my feet. For some reason, a few of the photos look like there is a reddish hue on the shoes in some places. That is not representative of reality. It's again probably due to the settings of my phone. Please excuse the jeans, I had just come home with the kids from a rather active birthday party for a 3-year old when I put on the shoes
biggrin.gif

Here's the requisite legs crossed and propped up pose (you can really see the nonexistent reddish hue here):

And back in the bags with the plastic shoe horn. Thanks for watching!

ReubenR

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea what the leather is on this pair of Loakes I won on eBay?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads